Sign in to follow this  
Hyjynx

Best faces on Reaper minis

Couldn't find a good way to search for this exact topic, so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

I am always fixated on facial and body proportions. I find that lots of 28mm minis have "weird" faces and bodies (too long, too stubby, etc)

What would be the best female figures in the Reaper line that have the best facial and body proportions? #14645 Bladeslinger would be a good example of what I am looking for.

• Like 1

I don't know that I could answer without giving way too long of a list.

Try searching the store by sculptor. Your example figure was sculpted by Patrick Keith, so you will probably like more of his excellent work.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I don't know that I could answer without giving way too long of a list.

Try searching the store by sculptor. Your example figure was sculpted by Patrick Keith, so you will probably like more of his excellent work.

Funny you say that. I was going to suggest Pat as well. He does gorgeous female faces that are very nicely proportional. 

• Like 4

I'm a fan of most Sandra Garrity facial sculpts. They're a bit more petite usually. Patrick Keith's are darn good too (as are the other Reaper sculptors). I concur with the idea of finding a sculptor whose style you enjoy most, and seeking their work. 

• Like 2

Sandra Garrity minis are epic, but they have tiny hate eyes. Meaning I hate painting them because they are so tiny, but I love to see them painted up. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hyjynx said:

Couldn't find a good way to search for this exact topic, so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

I am always fixated on facial and body proportions. I find that lots of 28mm minis have "weird" faces and bodies (too long, too stubby, etc)

What would be the best female figures in the Reaper line that have the best facial and body proportions? #14645 Bladeslinger would be a good example of what I am looking for.

That’s a Patrick Keith figure.  I like his facial style.  This particular figure has a certain kind of stylized symmetry to it, with a smaller nose and larger eyes than would be on an actual human face.  

So, what style of face are you looking for?  Do you prefer eyes like this, or larger, or tiny realistic ones?  What are the characteristics you like?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Kev has sculpted a few figures for Reaper.

Troo, but a lot more for Hasslefree to give a larger selection is why I said it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Loim said:

Sandra Garrity minis are epic, but they have tiny hate eyes. Meaning I hate painting them because they are so tiny, but I love to see them painted up. 

But the eyes are more "realistic" size, imo. I learned to paint on her figures mostly, so I don't have a particular dislike for tiny eyes anymore. Although the one Guild of Harmony figure I just got might make me rethink that. It is *fine*. 

43 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Not Reaper, but Kev White from Hasslefree Miniatures does wonderful female figures. Faces and all. 

He does a wide range of body types too - he doesn't just sculpt Favorite Body Type of the Year. You'll have lean girls, curvy girls, muscly girls, etc. It is refreshing to see. 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Pingo said:

That’s a Patrick Keith figure.  I like his facial style.  This particular figure has a certain kind of stylized symmetry to it, with a smaller nose and larger eyes than would be on an actual human face.  

So, what style of face are you looking for?  Do you prefer eyes like this, or larger, or tiny realistic ones?  What are the characteristics you like?

To use a vague term, I would say "pretty"? Very subjective I know, but to carry it further, a face that is a well sculpted symmetrical form, slightly larger eyes would be fine. Some I've seen can be too flat or too long, puffy as if Beestung, etc. To throw another requirement in there would be that it's molded crisp to ease the painting, especially the eye shape.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By planetmut
      I painted Devil Girl's clothing in Vallejo Black and thought, "God, that's boring". So I added 1/3 Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue to the black and redid her coat. Adding the blue makes the black much richer, and I washed the black over with Army Painter Blue Tone. Her skin was done with Vallejo Flat Red, Red and Vermillion. Her hair is black and drybrushed with Vallejo Royal Purple. The lava is Liquitex Modelling Paste and the slabs are just plasticard. Her eyes took FOREVER to get right, which was frustrating as hell as they're just yellow with a thin black line.

The paint scheme and base are shamelessly ripped off this one by @TheOldGuard, although he/she can do OSL and I can't (and wasn't even going to attempt it).

• By Bonnie Bailey
      Good Evening! SO after sorting through my minis and cleaning up my workstation post reaper con, I felt inspired to tackle some techniques that I have been avoiding. I wanted to pick a mini that i felt I could paint quickly (but lessbehonest, I don't paint quickly at all) and that would be a good candidate for two techniques that I am trying to learn. after a long drawn out process of hemming and hawing I found a miniature that I received an unmentionable number of years ago from reaper as a prize for buying miniatures during October. So it is Krissy the modern witch with out her familiar.

I have an idea of what I want to do, I want to keep the miniature a tight focus on OSL and Transparent fabric. If I am feeling like it after I have completed the mini, I may do a special base for her. I feel pretty good about my understanding of color, but I think this is going to be a pretty good challenge. Here's what I have so far.  

• By Gantrell
      First time posting to the Forum. Feedback welcome!

Thanks.

• By Geoff Davis
      This is my diorama entry from Reapercon 2019 "Done and on to the next one".  It received silver in the diorama category and 2nd place Dark Sword Individual Figure.  The two figures are DSM7627 Female Ranger with Bow from Dark Sword Miniatures and 77189 Creature from the Blood Reef (Bones version) from Reaper Miniatures. 

My intention with this piece was to show a dynamic interaction between the two figures as compactly as possible and with a clear indication of the action, but with enough uncertainty in the details that the observer can be lead to many different interpretations of the story.  For example, did the creature just miss her with a claw attack, or is he clinging to the rock in dying desperation while she contemptuously uses him as a launch pad?  I went through many challenges with this figure (including crushing her in transport, breaking off her arm, crushing the bow and snapping off her leg at the ankle). 

Some of the detail work I did on this included:

cleaning out the quiver and sculpting new arrows
      re-sculpting her chest and back to be a wool dress (the original figure has a bare stomach and back)
      adding the taught bow string using monofilament fishing line
      changing her bracer so that the buckles are on the side away from the bow string
      carving up and adjusting the creature layer by layer until he fit exactly where I wanted him (this is why I chose the Bones version - I would have found it nearly impossible with a metal figure)

I am very grateful to Brice Cocanour who gave me a lot of advice on how to bring out the best look of the piece by adjusting the colour and value balance.  He was also kind enough to let me use some of his tools and his big container of water effects to fix some of the problems with the base.  Once again, I learned a ton from seeking help from the artists.  I also really appreciate the feedback I got from the judges.  As a first-timer at the MSP Open, I made some newbie mistakes that I will fix for next time, and as a long-time painter, I appreciated being told exactly where things were off so that I could reflect on them for future projects. 

The judges feedback was:  

They liked the tartan, the fabric texture and the colour choice.  Some of the lines on the tartan could be made cleaner.  One way to do this is to do the lines repeatedly with very thin paint.  Small mistakes are then harder to see, but the correct position of the line gets hit repeatedly making the  visual appearance of the lines neater.  Another suggestion was to map out the tartan pattern in light grey first before adding any colour.  Use pure white to make landmarks at the intersection points of the lines which are bright enough to show through the subsequent paint layers.  This helps to make the layout of the pattern more precise and less risky.  Because the pattern is laid out before any colour is added or a lot of work is put into highlights and shading, any mistakes in the layout can be corrected without having to do a lot of repair work.

Overall composition was good with the story being very clear with the construction being very tight and kept to the essentials (no wasted space and unnecessary features).

They liked the overall skin tone and highlight placement to focus attention on her face.  They pointed out where improvements were needed to some of the blends on the skin, specifically on her calf where some of the shadow, dirt and highlight blends are misaligned or too abrupt and not bright enough (her ankle for example needs to be a bit brighter).

The final surface texture of her skin could have been smoother. Suggestions for this included using brush-on sealer to smooth out flaws, paying close attention to cleanliness of the figure (eg large dust particles) and removing them as soon as they are found, then filling the craters and smoothing their edges, and glazing additional layers of the mid-tone to smooth out some of the edges of the blends. 

Clean up the water effects where they meet the base to give a crisper line between the action and the base. 

It was recommended to mount the diorama directly onto the wooden plinth if possible rather than on a gaming base attached to the top of the plinth. 

The judges scores were 3, 3 and 4 for 10/12 (Silver).
    • By Kangaroorex
      This grouping is a little eclectic because I was experimenting with a new medium. 

While I was at Reapercon, James Wapple introduced me to the joys of using oils to help me work on my tabletop minis and my blending.  When I got home I found I had everything lying around except for some quality thinner so I got some of that, sat down and gave it a try.  He has a number of YouTube videos describing the technique better than I ever could but it basically uses the fact that oils have an exceptionally long drying time to allow for some really nice wet blending without developing chalkyness or the layer steps I always get in dry blending.  The oils being a heavier body also seems to help me give the mini a fur effect of different hairs across the body

What I found was a new method, for me, that should help me clear a lot of army minis and take them from primed to done and looking good in a very short period of time.  First thing I tried wss a whitehorm stag that I had sitting next to my desk when I got home.  It was by wizkids and pre primed so easy pickens

including setup that was about 40 minutes work and my first try.  Next up wss a hippogryph which has been haunting my shelf of shame for 4 years now because I could never get the horse part right

While not as good on the feathers (feathers aren't easy for me and these are barely scored enough to show detail) I finally got some results on the horsey part that I actually liked:  nice warm red tones and highlights that don't look painted on. The chest feathers in was also able to get some highlights into that don look drybrushed.  And again, this was another 40 minutes or so.

Finally I decided to try some rats that I needed for a (hopefully) upcoming Rangers of Shadow's Deep campaign.  Since the method Scott showed me uses #6 and #8 brushes I was curious how it would work on Such a small mini.  I think it did very well, again giving me noce highlights  in the fur without looking drybrushed and without taking a huge amount of time (30 minutes for the lot)

Not too bad for my first few tries.  I especially like how the greys and browns turned out but even the white rats have some character.

I am certainly going to give it some more time and minis, both for animals and a huge group of Wrath of Kings minis that have languished in the back of my shelves for years.  Hope you like what you see.  They are my first trys and I really like the results
  • Who's Online   42 Members, 4 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)