Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Just requested leave. On Wednesday, there is only a dinner, right? And nothing on Monday? 

It's not just a dinner....it's where you can pick up your swag bags early and register.  It's also a good time to get to know people while it's still relatively quiet.  If you register for early classes on Thursday and skip the Weds M&G, you will have to go down to where it's gonna be held and get in line.  When it was at the PEC it wasnt ever really that big of a line, but when I remember it at the HGI it was a pretty gnarly line. Monday doesn't have any days, but I recommend taking that day because there is so much going on the whole week and it's pretty tiring.  Having that extra day to recuperate is pretty essential to going back to work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Does much go on during the first and last days? I'm trying to figure out how much leeway I need to give for travel.

Weds  technically not the 1st day but it is the day allot people get in & the Meet & Greet in the evening. Allot of people leave on Sundays + the day does get over earlier then the rest.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, haldir said:

Weds  technically not the 1st day but it is the day allot people get in & the Meet & Greet in the evening. Allot of people leave on Sundays + the day does get over earlier then the rest.

we were planning to try and get into town Wednesday night for the meet and greet, what happens on Sunday? we were planning to head out pretty early that day because we have a full day drive home:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clearman said:

Sunday usually has a couple slots for classes in the morning, and then ReaperBucks auction in the afternoon.

hmm missing a few classes and the auction would suck, but I think we'd survive:)

• Like 1

I'll be there barring any unforeseen issues.  I might even be able to bring my youngest son since it is the week before he starts school. NightyKnight (Myles, my eldest) won't be able to come back though as it is the week he starts college next Fall.

The thing I like most about the date change, is that it is one less vacation day I need to use, being able to drive home on Labor day.

• Like 11

On 1/5/2018 at 1:11 PM, Bathory said:

the Wapples and Mr Justin also said they can’t attend due to conflicts. 

This fills me with sadness, since I was looking forward to taking one of Wappel's awesome classes this year. :down:

Current outlook for me going is unchanged (very good, unless life events conspire to change that). :) The new place looks swanky! 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

we were planning to try and get into town Wednesday night for the meet and greet, what happens on Sunday? we were planning to head out pretty early that day because we have a full day drive home:)

Sunday is a half day, but there are still many classes and games.  Vendors are open. It is your last chance to shop the Reaper store or visit HQ.  Many people do leave to catch flights or drive home, but those that can stay an extra night do.  There is usually a dinner outing, and a last evening at the hotel fire pit.  Don't know how that will change at the new location, but I expect folks who can will stay to socialize. 

I understand the long drive home.  I have to leave the con by noon to get home before midnight. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

For me I always try to run 1 game on that day but overall Sunday is kinda of a winding down, sad that it is over kinda day. Some of the vendors will have Sunday specials (I know Badger will have specials, when I bought my airbrush last year).

• Like 3

Eeeee! I'll take the bus if I have to, I love art family time! I don't know if we had any other plans for that weekend, but they are cancelled now! :lol:  

I'm really excited to stay in the same hotel as the con!

I'm hoping that the block will be better organized. I have 0 hotel experience, so I don't even know if it's possible.

At the Hilton, it -seemed- that a lot of the rooms closest to the firepit and ground floor were not saved for Reaper, so we were getting a ton of noise complaints (or staff made them up so they had a "reason" to tell us to hush). And we are a loud bunch. There was one night when  It would have made sense to block off the rooms closest to the event areas for Reaper.

• Like 6

Now here's a question: do I plan on a 17.5 hour drive, or fly? I've never gone before, so I'm not sure what to expect bringing back/taking, and I don't know how well minis/paint fly. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Now here's a question: do I plan on a 17.5 hour drive, or fly? I've never gone before, so I'm not sure what to expect bringing back/taking, and I don't know how well minis/paint fly. 

Many opinions on this.  At a minimum, brushes, contest entry, and questions.  I. personally, cannot paint without my optivisor, so things like that are also helpful.

The bigger/more fragile your contest entries are, the more cautious I be with flying, personnaly 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Well you know what I do.  And I'd call it a bit more than 17.5  More like 18.5 to 19 I'd say.

• Like 1

Just now, Harrek said:

Well you know what I do.  And I'd call it a bit more than 17.5  More like 18.5 to 19 I'd say.

Hmm...maybe I should request Tuesday off as well...neither me or Mr. Mouse are much good at night driving...

• Like 1