Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

Highlander

31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

My wife will be attending this year, joining the ranks of "spouses who are attending but don't paint".  She plans on bringing her jewelry hobby with, so she'll be the one sitting at a table sorting through old jewelry looking for treasures.  My youngest son will also be coming, since ReaperCon is the week before he starts HS this year, he can attend (and is very excited).

My wife will also be in attendance but she won't be spending much time at the Con as she has a number of friends through our Fraternal Order who live in the area.

she is already in the process of "making plans".

GEM

• Like 6

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My attendance is still up in the air this time around. I haven't heard back from work if I'll be able to get the time off. With it being Labor day weekend, it's most likely a no. I told them to let me know well before hand so I can get things in order but we shall see.

I'm still planning like I'm going so games planning continues!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

My son is coming as well - sounds like our boys are within a couple of years of each other (this is his first year of high school.) He'll be glad to know there will be someone his age there. 

Gus will be almost 15 at the time of the Con.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Gus will be almost 15 at the time of the Con.

oh wow...

My son just turned 15 this week.  But what gets me here is the coincidence of our son's names. My son is August.  He's named after his grandfather, who is also named August, but goes by Gus. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

oh wow...

My son just turned 15 this week.  But what gets me here is the coincidence of our son's names. My son is August.  He's named after his grandfather, who is also named August, but goes by Gus. 

Mine is Gustav, but goes by Gus.  He'll love to meet yours; he's never met another Gus, especially one his age. ::D: If yours plays Magic the Gathering as well, they will not only hit it off, but likely be sequestered in a corner slinging cards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mine is Gustav, but goes by Gus.  He'll love to meet yours; he's never met another Gus, especially one his age. ::D: If yours plays Magic the Gathering as well, they will not only hit it off, but likely be sequestered in a corner slinging cards.

August doesn't play Magic, but that's likely due more to a lack of proper exposure to it. He and I have played a couple times, but a)I'm no longer into it and b) it means playing with his dad, "who always wins at games". (I don't, but that's his perception). 

I'll make sure I pack a couple of Magic Decks - I'll bet that Gus can get him to play if he's willing to teach him how to. 

• Like 6

I don't think I could ever get my wife to go back up there. She brought our daughter up to the award ceremony in 2016.  By the time it was done...she was ready to go and never come back.  It may have just been a mix of things.  Issues that caused the awards ceremony to start late....bad traffic on the highway due to construction in the area.  The problem is that will be how she always sees going out there.  Plus we have not gotten her hooked into painting much.  She has done a few things here and there with us but does not join us every time we paint.

• Sad 5

27 minutes ago, hungerfan said:

I don't think I could ever get my wife to go back up there. 

My wife came with me the one time I went back in 2007.  She had a reasonably good time, but I don't think I'll ever get her to come back either.  Painting minis and playing games just isn't her thing. 

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

My wife came with me the one time I went back in 2007.  She had a reasonably good time, but I don't think I'll ever get her to come back either.  Painting minis and playing games just isn't her thing. 

Large crowds (even though RCon is never that large but enough) is not her thing.  Plus she only paints with us now and then just because I have SO MANY minis and it is something to do as a family.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

If you have run games how did you schedule them around classes ?  

I think an evening game (before sunday) is most likely...  

I more or less schedule them like there is nothing else going on at the time. It's inevitable that your gonna overlap classes & such. I tend to start my game at 10 each morning & run 4 hour blocks. I tried something new last year & ran 2 hour blocks on simple games which went well for the most part. 

With the Con at a hotel again this year, it makes for the late closing @ the Con events easier to plan. No rush to ge the hell out of there before they turn the lights off on yah.

• Like 4

On 3/14/2018 at 10:32 PM, Harrek said:

If I make it down my wife is also coming and she is not a painter.  Though she said she'd like to take a beginners class.  She'll be happy relaxing with warm weather and such I am sure also.  And visiting with people.  And she can see first hand if people like her cookies this year I suppose!

I picked out a leaf cookie and it was so gorgeous, I almost didn't eat it!

Almost. ::D: 

I'm starting to get my energy back, I'm ready to see all the friends! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2018 at 4:37 PM, Zoog said:

First timer thinking about attending.

Is there a subforum for room splitting to keep costs down?

On 4/3/2018 at 5:06 PM, Inarah said:

Closer to the con date, I think. 

Also, other hotels within easy walking distance that may be more budget friendly. 

Zoog, be sure to read the reviews of those budget friendly places. I stayed in one last Sep for the KS windup party and let's just say the bedbugs were quite large.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1