Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

Highlander

4 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'm bringing along Mr. Mouse to be my little bit of home. So, at least I'll have him. But he'll probably be somewhere near the board games the entirety of the con, if I'm not dragging him around.

I promise that by Friday, you won't even need him.  There have been countless people who have said the same things you have.  The forumites are such awesome people that it will feel just like home.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'm just really nervous about everything. I have social anxiety, so too much times in crowds can make me nervous. 

I'll tell you what I say to everyone that brings this up....

Get on the Hangouts and meet people...

So many of us are in that boat, and if you meet folks in the non threatening area of a hangout, you get to know the people that will be there...

The first year I went, @Guindyloo walked up behind me, and said HI George, I spen around and gave her a big old hug as I said hi..

all because I had been hanging out with her for 6 months prior....

• Like 3

I brought my husband last year, but in a way that prevented me from meeting as many new people, because I wanted to spend time with him.  I feel like I mobbed poor Morihalda at the fire pit, which is probably just social anxiety talking, most of us have some.  

What I didn't notice right away is that there was more information about the classes including whether it's classified as Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced.  Probably Beginner or Intermediate is okay, even if it's not at your exact level.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i always mean to socialize, but the 'forum tables' are always full and packed with people, so husband and i tend to gravitate to a nearby empty table and sit there mostly alone

That happened to us too.  I'm curious if the new venue might help with that, since there won't be the same need to stake out a table for your stuff.  It might encourage more circulation.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

That happened to us too.  I'm curious if the new venue might help with that, since there won't be the same need to stake out a table for your stuff.  It might encourage more circulation.  

Even with the venue at the hotel, the painting tables will still look about the same. The only difference is that they may not be as cluttered, but people will still have "their spots".  From experience though, people tend not to mind sliding down a spot if it doesn't require moving a paint kit, a sculpting kit, a mini case, and a book bag. 

• Like 2

Mr. Mouse will be doing different stuff than me, so I'm not too worried about sticking too close to him - he's more likely to only do stuff like go through the showroom and gallery with me and maybe one RPG session together. For the most part, he will be playing one board game or another the entire con. It'll just be nice to have him to go back to. 

Sadly, for me video/voice chat is worse for me than IRL, believe it or not. I've been trying to push myself to go on hangouts, though...I think I've managed 3 or 4 times. But forums are nice for me.

Also, I'm excited! I got some cute new cat ears at Hot Topic yesterday for the con! Now I just need something mouse-y to go with them. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

How many classes would returners suggest signing up for? I know the max is 8...if I have the four day pass and take 3 Thursday, 2 Friday, 2 Saturday, and 1 Sunday, will I still have enough time to enjoy the other stuff at the con?

I don't recommend more than 5 for the whole show, less if you sign up for other offerings. Last year I scheduled 2 events per day and found that I didn't even have time to paint. Mix in a crazy long work schedule starting the day after I got back and I actually managed to forget everything I learned at the Con because I never got to put it into practice. Don't be like me, keep the schedule light and you can't go wrong.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

i always mean to socialize, but the 'forum tables' are always full and packed with people, so husband and i tend to gravitate to a nearby empty table and sit there mostly alone

We do that too.  And I'm told I always look like I am unhappy or angry, so people tend not to approach. I will always chat with folks who stop by  :)   I tend to miss seeing all the entries in the competition, so I'd love to see what people are painting. 

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Also, I'm excited! I got some cute new cat ears at Hot Topic yesterday for the con! Now I just need something mouse-y to go with them. 

I will have cat ears on Sunday  =^ᆽ^=

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Inarah said:

We do that too.  And I'm told I always look like I am unhappy or angry, so people tend not to approach. I will always chat with folks who stop by  :)   I tend to miss seeing all the entries in the competition, so I'd love to see what people are painting. 

Feel free to hang out with me, can't say I'll be interesting company but yaw are welcome.

• Like 2

Breakfast is going to be another good way to meet people.  There are unlikely to be enough tables in the hotel dining room for everyone,  so if you see some empty seats, walk up and ask if they are taken and introduce yourself.  You may get to have breakfast with one of the guest artists this way. :) 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

Even with the venue at the hotel, the painting tables will still look about the same. The only difference is that they may not be as cluttered, but people will still have "their spots".  From experience though, people tend not to mind sliding down a spot if it doesn't require moving a paint kit, a sculpting kit, a mini case, and a book bag.

I don't have much of a need to join with a group and socialize.  I have no issue with meeting folks and/or striking up conversations, but I prefer to just let it happen.  I also have no issue with asking if anyone minds me sitting down at an empty chair at a table.  Last year, I joined several tables, met several people, and got to know a couple of folks well enough to go to lunch with them.  So, socially, I had a good time.

I do observe human interaction and behavior.  So, in regard to the quotes above and for what it is worth, my impression of the painting tables at the last year's Reapercon was that about half had clearly been claimed by groups and that individual seats had clearly been claimed by individuals -- for the entire Con.  It seemed there were a couple of clusters of tables, where a larger group claimed more than one table.   As pointed out above, the venue required that one had to establish a spot to put their belongings, unless one wanted to hike back and forth from their car -- which I did with my purchases. 

From body language and facial expressions, members of a number of groups appeared to know each other very well and seemed, intentionally or not, to not be interested in others outside the group.  Also, if just one member of a group appears to be unfriendly or hostile, whether they are or not, the signal is that that table is not open to others.  So, pending some sort of large sign indicating that a table or group of tables are happy to welcome Forum members,  I'm guessing that folks who don't already know other Forum members are going to need to cowboy up and introduce themselves.  One the ice is broken, I'll bet it all works out.

15 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Breakfast is going to be another good way to meet people.  There are unlikely to be enough tables in the hotel dining room for everyone,  so if you see some empty seats, walk up and ask if they are taken and introduce yourself.  You may get to have breakfast with one of the guest artists this way. :) 

Absolutely.  And well said.  I probably talked to a dozen people over breakfast last year.

What I said above about exclusive tables did not apply at all to breakfast.  People were openly welcoming.  Something about sharing food together.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 3

My only problem with all of that is that I'm much too timid to ask others if I can sit at their table with them. I'm more likely to sit by myself and hope someone comes up to me. Which is part of the reason I plan on wearing cat ears & something mouse-y most of the con...because I just...can't ask to join others...

• Like 2