Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

Highlander

27 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

My only problem with all of that is that I'm much too timid to ask others if I can sit at their table with them. I'm more likely to sit by myself and hope someone comes up to me. Which is part of the reason I plan on wearing cat ears & something mouse-y most of the con...because I just...can't ask to join others...

Oh...I should be asking first?

If the group looks friendly or I have said hi to some of them before I would just take a seat that was empty...say hi...ask how they are doing or if painting what they are painting and go from there.  

• Like 3

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

I do observe human interaction and behavior.  So, in regard to the quotes above and for what it is worth, my impression of the painting tables at the last year's Reapercon was that about half had clearly been claimed by groups and that individual seats had clearly been claimed by individuals -- for the entire Con.  It seemed there were a couple of clusters of tables, where a larger group claimed more than one table.   As pointed out above, the venue required that one had to establish a spot to put their belongings, unless one wanted to hike back and forth from their car -- which I did with my purchases. 

The other issue at last years location was the limited number of electrical outlets for plugging in painting lamps.   So there was a big cluster of tables shoved together in the middle near that outlet, and another cluster at the outlet near the registration desk.  I'm hoping at the hotel that outlets are more available and evenly spaced and people won't have to shove tables together. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Inarah said:

The other issue at last years location was the limited number of electrical outlets for plugging in painting lamps.   So there was a big cluster of tables shoved together in the middle near that outlet, and another cluster at the outlet near the registration desk.  I'm hoping at the hotel that outlets are more available and evenly spaced and people won't have to shove tables together. 

Mr. Thorne had one of those; he was rather popular because he had *gasp* a power bar! He could extend the use of a socket!

He also has RBF, so it was mostly the folks with courage that approached him, but there tended to be a lot of phone chargers plugged into his bar at the end of the day, too. ^^;

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Good point.  I use battery powered lamps, which gobble up batteries.  Then I'm not dependent upon sockets.

• Like 1

Don't forget to come hang out with the artists, too!  We may look like we're concentrating on painting, but it's just to pass the time and we love talking with anyone who'll talk to us. The whole point of us being there is for easy access.  I'm happy to answer questions or help in any way!  We get (sniff sniff) lonely if people avoid us...

Also, most of us are pretty shy and technically introverts, so if you need a quiet space, come hang with us.  Our tables are safe tables!  Hmmm... I should make a sign to that effect... ::):

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Corporea said:

Don't forget to come hang out with the artists, too!  We may look like we're concentrating on painting, but it's just to pass the time and we love talking with anyone who'll talk to us. The whole point of us being there is for easy access.  I'm happy to answer questions or help in any way!  We get (sniff sniff) lonely if people avoid us...

Also, most of us are pretty shy and technically introverts, so if you need a quiet space, come hang with us.  Our tables are safe tables!  Hmmm... I should make a sign to that effect... ::):

^^THIS!  I always say hi to them now and gawk at their work.

Hey @Corporea!!  Now that it will be at a different setting will we see Corporea's Corner make a return?! :P

• Like 5

On 5/17/2018 at 11:49 AM, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'm bringing along Mr. Mouse to be my little bit of home. So, at least I'll have him. But he'll probably be somewhere near the board games the entirety of the con, if I'm not dragging him around.

If you can manage it, bring along your favorite bed pillow.

Nothing says "home" quite like laying your head down on a familiar pillow at night when you are on the road.

GEM

• Like 3

Or, in my case, DW's portable quilting shop.  When we travel together for a multiday event, she loads up with a sewing machine and stuff and stuff and stuff.  So, when I return to the hotel room, I find ironing boards and fabric and a sewing machine and stuff laid out on the bed.

We both have a good time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2