Reapercon 2018 Enthusiasm and Chatter

Highlander

8 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

Im so stressed I wanted to enter the msp open and my wife REALLY wants me to but as I was prepping my mini it started crumbling into multiple pieces in my hand (it was a skeleton which I love to paint). Now if i even finish painting some other mini that's smaller i won't have time to base him at all i just don't know.... should I just finish something cause it's my first time? Is it worth it to get judged on something I have to start over on and do so quickly?

If you can get something that is somewhat representative of your current skill level, definitely. The critiques are brilliant, though standing in line* for them can be a long process (and many thanks to the judges who spend hours doing just that). And I'd say that you can get very useful critiques even if the piece isn't your very best work, since you can often get a useful gauge of overall skill level and places to concentrate on for improvement.

But you have a week before you need to have a finished piece; that's definitely time enough to do something reasonable for an entry.

* Not necessarily a formal line, but the concept is there.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

I have soooooooo many people from the forums to find and meet awww man. How best to get ahold of people at the con will there be a thread people actively look at for that? 

There is usually a thread created to give people a place to check in or announce some stuff. Not all con goers will use it, but it stays active enough.

The other best way to find some forum members is that we congregate into large circles (unknown about this year's venture). 

If you ever want to meet me, I'm most likely going to be at the melt table with a stuffed platypus hanging around the shoulder or on my backpack. Which reminds me. I need to find some velcro. I can help point out some people.

Again, unknown about this year's venture, but usually there is a night time social gathering people then to congregate to at the hotel. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

Sounds like a plan! I wonder if I should bring my airbrush now?

I just bought an airbrush but have no compressor lol I'm bringing it anyway who knows. As far as miniatures i'm bringing these not sure what i'm going toi do with them but in bringing them lol. Just gotta find some to paint

20180822_091202.jpg

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

I'm not drooling, you're drooling. Dooooooooooooom. RIP AND TEAR!!!!!

*cough**cough* Sorry, got carried away.

Also, no fire pit this year so I guess it's time for a.... REAPERCON POOL PARTY!!!!!!

You'll find me in the jacuzzi after hours with a bottle of ummmm water yeeeeeea water. Also yea DOOM is great can't wait to bring these

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So...here's my question. Do I bring minis to paint other than my entries...or do I just go crazy in the dealer room and find something to paint there? 

Yes.  Be aware that unless you bring a lamp the lighting in general will be poor for painting. And if you are easily distracted, forget it. :)   I usually bring some Bones to basecoat, and sometimes get them up to tabletop level at the con.  I just can't see that well or concentrate enough to do more than that.  If you bring stuff, prime them first.  Reaper has had a spray booth outside the last couple years, but you will need primer, and I don't know if you are driving in or flying or want to drive around Denton looking for a can. 

• Like 4

I'm super behind in responding to stuff in this thread, so please forgive the mega post, but I wanted to give my two cents on several posts!

39 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So...here's my question. Do I bring minis to paint other than my entries...or do I just go crazy in the dealer room and find something to paint there? 

Some people bring their minis and work on them, but I've never been able to bring myself to work on any high-level stuff at the con (where my lighting is different, I don't have all my supplies, and opportunities for chatting with folks abound, among many other reasons).  However, you will inevitably end up with more than a few free minis from classes, and I find that those are absolutely perfect for practicing techniques on and for impromptu demos.  So, while you can bring extra minis, know that it's not completely necessary if space is an issue.  (However, since you're driving, you'll probably be fine in that regard!)

8 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

Im so stressed I wanted to enter the msp open and my wife REALLY wants me to but as I was prepping my mini it started crumbling into multiple pieces in my hand (it was a skeleton which I love to paint). Now if i even finish painting some other mini that's smaller i won't have time to base him at all i just don't know.... should I just finish something cause it's my first time? Is it worth it to get judged on something I have to start over on and do so quickly?

As a judge, here's my opinion on this:

Always enter something (whether it's an old piece or a new piece)!  However, also always do as least a little basing (I'm talking even something as simple as an even coat of flock, snow, or static grass).  The reason I say this is that I have seen otherwise good entries get knocked down pretty hard for unfinished bases.  It's just really hard as a judge to see a completely-unfinished base as it makes the whole mini seem somewhat unfinished.

If you lack the supplies or time to finish the base before arrival, I am 100% confident that someone would be willing to lend you some basing supplies and help you though a quick base at the convention!

11 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you can get something that is somewhat representative of your current skill level, definitely. The critiques are brilliant, though standing in line* for them can be a long process (and many thanks to the judges who spend hours doing just that). And I'd say that you can get very useful critiques even if the piece isn't your very best work, since you can often get a useful gauge of overall skill level and places to concentrate on for improvement.

But you have a week before you need to have a finished piece; that's definitely time enough to do something reasonable for an entry.

* Not necessarily a formal line, but the concept is there.

As Doug mentioned, the metaphorical line to the judges can be very long immediately after the award ceremony.  We always try to stick around and answer questions until everyone has been answered (or until the venue kicks us out, like last year), but sometimes that just takes forever and people get tired and leave.  However, I think that there is a general misconception that we judges are only available to provide feedback during that limited time frame, and that is certainly not true!  Please feel free to come up to us at ANY time during the whole convention and ask for feedback; we love the opportunity to talk to everyone!  Last year, I had folks asking for feedback on their entries Saturday night back at the hotel and all day Sunday at the convention center, and I personally think that those are the best times to ask for feedback since there is no longer a line.  That way, we have as long as we want to discuss your entry!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

I'm not drooling, you're drooling. Dooooooooooooom. RIP AND TEAR!!!!!

*cough**cough* Sorry, got carried away.

Also, no fire pit this year so I guess it's time for a.... REAPERCON POOL PARTY!!!!!!

I saw the average temperature for this time of year in Dallas.

I'll be hanging by the ice machine. Maybe I'll climb inside of it for a nap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Corporea

@Kuro Cleanbrush

I remember the last couple years, we were forced out of the venue because they had hard closing hours, and it limited the amount of post-competition conversation.  Do you know if the hotel will have similar restrictions? 

Or, are you willing to provide critiques on Sunday? 

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 2