Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh man. So I haven’t been able to be around much the past couple of weeks. That’s because I have been busting my elf to tackle the tremendous work backlog that I had piled up in folder after folder af

I'm going to miss "Reaperbryan", but I'm really happy for my friend Bryan.   10/10 would let fire me out of an airlock again.

So, the last thing I posted here was that we were safe and sound back from the sci fi convention. Which was essentially true.   Let me start by saying I’m fine and home resting now.  

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Ugh. Picard should've launched Wesley out an airlock.

I have skipped many pages to the last comment of the thread so I have no context for your comment...

But yes. I agree. He should've.

• Like 7
13 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I just realized C-3P0 and Luke are technically stepbrothers. 

Half-brothers. They have one parent that's the same, but one parent that isn't. But that's beyond the point. You referenced the prequels, and now must be punished. Here, have a seat in this Ludovico recliner...

4 hours ago, knarthex said:

I have never understood why so many artists and sculptors go that kind of thing....

It's even starting to show up in some of the "real' replicas....

Blame movies. For some reason they can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea of accurate swords actually looking cool and they want to go all outlandish and stuff. Swords need spikes! And giant blades that are 6 inches wide! And crossguards that are shaped like skulls! And a giant pommel! Only when they have all that stuff are they cool!

They can't just go with "simple" engravings and filigree, like what was really done on fancy swords...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Half-brothers. They have one parent that's the same, but one parent that isn't. But that's beyond the point. You referenced the prequels, and now must be punished. Here, have a seat in this Ludovico recliner...

Blame movies. For some reason they can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea of accurate swords actually looking cool and they want to go all outlandish and stuff. Swords need spikes! And giant blades that are 6 inches wide! And crossguards that are shaped like skulls! And a giant pommel! Only when they have all that stuff are they cool!

They can't just go with "simple" engravings and filigree, like what was really done on fancy swords...

Don't get me started on how nearly every art director who gets his hands on ANY steam locomotive from any era immediately tries to turn it into something that was never seen at any time on any self respecting North American Railroad.

It's the same mindset with weaponry.

There is something wrong with the brain wiring of these people that won't let them apply all the money spent on historical research to assure "authenticity" when it comes to the actual costuming and props used, so all the research money is basically wasted.

GEM

• Like 7
27 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Simple engravings don't always show up well on the big screen, and I'm betting that has something to do with it.. And who the hell takes long close-up shots of the props? C'mon.

... It isn't much easier to draw all that stuff, honestly. Looking at some of it - especially ARMOR! - makes me wish my head could actually explode. Because .. why?!

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I haven't seen it. Not super interested in furry trash panda and walking tree as space superheroes.

11 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

The First or the second movie?

The first is better...

The First.

I must admit, I wanted to see it because of hype talk.

Wasn't able to see it before.

Verdict:

• Eye Candy - Check
  • Nice effects -Check
  • Very very thin plot - Check
  • Mindless entertainment - Check

All in all, I'm happy I didn't go to a theatre to see it.

It's ok for a tv night, watching it on the couch, but I would not have liked spending money on this one.

As it is, I kinda enjoyed it as a nice intermezzo, but I found it nothing special.

• Like 7

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that stuff doesn't always translate well to the screen, but in almost all those movies where they make a big production out of a sword they do that "slow sweep, zoom in, travel down the whole sword" shot at least once. And that's when you break out the fancy prop. For all the other shots you just get something that looks close enough at a distance.

And a lot of the fancy looking design work in armor serves structural purpose as well. All those ridges in the Maximilian armor? They're called flutings, and they make the armor more rigid, so it doesn't buckle under hammer blows as easily as flat plate. Think corrugated cardboard. But then you also get the really fancy stuff with all sorts of intricate gold and silver inlays, a lot of chasing and repoussé work, and all sorts of stuff. Like the parade armors that were never really meant for the field.

Eventually, I'd love to be able to do that kind of stuff. But first I need time, and after that, I need the space to set up a workshop. Money isn't really a problem for it, since I can start small, ise borrowed tools, sell what I make, and use that to buy my own.

But enough about armor, let's get back to minis. Reaper hive mind - have they announced a release date for the walls that came with the Obsidian Crypt or are they in the box set? From the pictures on the store, it doesn't look like the walls are in the crypt set, just the crypt itself.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7

I just realized, since the Forum update, notifications about who quoted you, are now separate again, instead of x,xx and xxx quoted you in one notification.

This pleases me, since the multi -notification only let you show one and you had to search for the others.

Now I can jump to each quote again.

WOOF APPROVES!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Frankly, I don't see why swords should be all shiny and decked out in all kinds of junk...   

The best swords are kind of like Captain Carrot's sword...  

(Nicked from a Wikia page)

He owns a sword, one of the proofs of his kingship. It looks like an ordinary, even slightly rusty, weapon, but it is incredibly sharp and durable (exactly how it retains its incredible edge has never been explained, especially as after examination by a witch, possibly Magrat Garlick, the weapon was declared to be quite the most non-magical sword she had ever seen). This is because, as Sergant Colon reasons in Guards! Guards!, one usually became king back then by killing one's enemies, and therefore wanted a sword that was neither shiny nor flashy but instead "bloody efficient at cutting things." It has, on separate occasions, sliced clean through another sword's blade and been thrust clean through a person and the pillar of solid rock behind him, then out the other end (this latter has also been seen as a mark of his kingship—and a play on the King Arthur legends—because, as Sergeant Colon put it, putting a sword into a stone should be considerably more difficult than getting one out of it).

• Like 9

It's a good thing Hubby told me to go home and sleep today. I guess the nursing home called at about 3pm to let us know that because the hospital doctors had been dragging their feet on sending over prescriptions, they wouldn't be able to get my dad there until Tuesday afternoon. Hubby told me all this when I woke up at 6:30pm. I feel better for having slept, but I wish this nonsense was done. 

@Marvin I've been enjoying your poetry. Please continue to share ::): 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

The First.

I must admit, I wanted to see it because of hype talk.

Wasn't able to see it before.

Verdict:

• Eye Candy - Check
  • Nice effects -Check
  • Very very thin plot - Check
  • Mindless entertainment - Check

All in all, I'm happy I didn't go to a theatre to see it.

It's ok for a tv night, watching it on the couch, but I would not have liked spending money on this one.

As it is, I kinda enjoyed it as a nice intermezzo, but I found it nothing special.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I think it was one of the best superhero universe movies out there:  no whining about having responsibility, the plot doesn't revolve around angst, the eye candy is extravagant and the entire movie is raw action and upbeat.  

So many movies are into drama for motivation.  My preference is space opera,  it's what I like and what i go see.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I think it was one of the best superhero universe movies out there:  no whining about having responsibility, the plot doesn't revolve around angst, the eye candy is extravagant and the entire movie is raw action and upbeat.  

So many movies are into drama for motivation.  My preference is space opera,  it's what I like and what i go see.

Different tastes are good.

Else everything would be one blend.

I might have expected more due to all the hype and me seeing it now for the first time.

So...another workday...

***Sigh***

Where did it go wrong?

Why am I not waking up to wander around in nature, hunt a boar, bring it home to grill it and feast on it?

How come I need to earn money by working before I can buy some boar pork...

I want to talk to the one responsible..

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

It's a good thing Hubby told me to go home and sleep today. I guess the nursing home called at about 3pm to let us know that because the hospital doctors had been dragging their feet on sending over prescriptions, they wouldn't be able to get my dad there until Tuesday afternoon. Hubby told me all this when I woke up at 6:30pm. I feel better for having slept, but I wish this nonsense was done. 

@Marvin I've been enjoying your poetry. Please continue to share ::): 

This is always a hard thing to do.  There is no easy way to get through it and I admire your strength for continuing to care and love thes person when everything around you wants to turn them into a thing.  My father passed away from a particularly aggressive cancer 8 years ago and the bouncing back and forth between home nursing home and the hospital was really hard.  

But don t forget yourself either, if you wear yourself out without rest or down time, you will put yourself in a position where you cannot help them, emotionally and physically.  Do things for yourself and your family.  Share those moments with your father.  You can't brighten his world if you are always worried.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for others anyone good to yourself

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Different tastes are good.

Else everything would be one blend.

I might have expected more due to all the hype and me seeing it now for the first time.

See, to me the movie met it's hype and more.  It was fun, exciting, and had plenty of YEA! moments.  It's really all I want from a movie.  Drama and self reflection in get plenty of in the real world...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

This is always a hard thing to do.  There is no easy way to get through it and I admire your strength for continuing to care and love thes person when everything around you wants to turn them into a thing.  My father passed away from a particularly aggressive cancer 8 years ago and the bouncing back and forth between home nursing home and the hospital was really hard.  

But don t forget yourself either, if you wear yourself out without rest or down time, you will put yourself in a position where you cannot help them, emotionally and physically.  Do things for yourself and your family.  Share those moments with your father.  You can't brighten his world if you are always worried.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for others anyone good to yourself

Solid advice!!!

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Thanks ::): this is actually part of why I'm so looking forward to getting my dad into this home (aside from him having a stable place of his own and people who actually know what they're doing). Once everything is settled I'll be visiting him on a regular basis, but not every day, so Hubby and I can start getting our lives back on track. We can get our house organized and unpacked, I can find my paints and start hobbying again, we can EXERCISE again. I think I've gained 20lbs the last 3 months <_< 

The Halloween candy didn't help. But it's soooo yummy! :rolleyes:

Anyway, things will get better.

• Like 9