Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Froggy the Great

On 2/1/2018 at 6:27 AM, paintybeard said:

Just 4th. generation Nouveau riche. Great Grandfather made money in a slightly... questionable... manner. And this is where it all went.  

So, is that...questionable...in a great-story-at-parties way, or in a no-absolutely-not-we're-an-entirely-different-family-of-Joneses kind of way?

On 2/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, Crowley said:

At what point does one stop being Nouveau riche?

At the point where nobody can remember how you ended up rich... Or at least prove it.

On 2/1/2018 at 2:24 PM, paintybeard said:

What an excellent idea! Can you recommend an incorsist?

I wonder what they use instead of a bell, book and candle... trombone, tablet and torch, perhaps?

If they're in New Orleans...

On 2/1/2018 at 4:46 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

They can get the "premium" [exorbitant] prices because there are people who will pay more for the same item with the Grenadier label than for exactly the same item without that label.

Also, there are people who don't now enough to do the research on what is available under another brand name but are willing to part with good money, to the point where it drives up the market price.  These people are the legitimate prey of the dealers who place money above scruple.

GEM

And there are a lot of sellers who have no idea what the miniature market actually looks like, and assume that any broken chunk of metal will be worth a fortune since people are willing to shell out big bucks for things like Star Wars figures or playsets even when they're broken or incomplete. And assume that the miniatures hobby follows the same "older is better, and therefore worth more" model as other things. And that being painted makes them more valuable. They see a still-shrinkwrapped box set of twelve figures going for $40 and think that they're going to get the same amount of money for a dozen badly painted random figures missing pieces.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:04 PM, Cyradis said:

*shrug* Once I read on DS's website that they'd been working with GRRM since 2007, it was pretty clear that these were separate from the actors (but seriously, Varys and Baelish look just like their figures). The HBO show started in what, 2011? 

I seem to recall GRRM had at least a cursory hand in the casting...

On 2/1/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tripleh5133 said:

Bacon wrapped mashed potato stuffed meatloaf.

I'll take two...

On 2/2/2018 at 12:14 AM, Unruly said:

Anyone having issues with going to the first unread post? It keeps sending me straight to the bottom of the page every time I do it, and then I have to scroll up to where I last remember reading something.

Happens all the time here and has since the the last big forum upgrade thing...

• Like 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Malls will always hold a special place in my heart, I guess because they were the place to be, the whole Mallrats vibe of the 90s, and I lived an hour from the nearest mall and perpetually was denied the magic that supposedly encompassed the act of hanging out at the mall as a teen, but I'd pretty much just rather kill myself than walk through a mall at this point in my life. Even popping directly into a JCPenney and back out is pushing it.

Malls? Pfft. I went to malls as a kid. Not a teen, but as a kid. The only good thing about it was the arcade and Spencers. And Spencers lost its novelty as soon as I stopped laughing hilariously at every fart joke and finding boob-shaped coffee mugs to be the height of risqué. Then they killed the arcade and replaced it with a Hollister. Or maybe it was Aeropostale. Or Abercrombie & Fitch... One of those preppy kid clothes stores.

Though we did get a Hot Topic when I was in middle school, and I used to think it was the best thing ever because it had t-shirts for bands and movies and video games that I actually liked! It was like the first vestige of hope that being into rock and metal rather than pop and country was something that other people actually did! But then I learned that it was actually owned by Aeropostale, and I hated it. At that point I also got my first bank card, and could start buying stuff online direct from bands, so I did that instead...

Seriously. I love where I live for some things, but oh good god do I hate it for so many others. It's so dominated by redneck culture and the preppy crowd that it made being anything else hell, and that's despite the fact that we have the state's largest college here. Because the college tends to bring in more people from New York and New Jersey that fit the stereotypical douchebag archetype than anything else.

It took 3 failed game stores and a little over a decade to get one to open that has actually managed to stay open for more than a year or two. And I think they're largely able to do that because they cater almost exclusively to the GW crowd and also sell comics. But it may also be that the "nerd" or "geek" culture has started to take some root here, finally. But I don't know. It seems like it's still largely the same as it's ever been.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7

Hi all.

Weekend.

Yesterday I painted, today I'm playing AOW III later this afternoon we will visit my girl's parents to help move furniture'.

Discussion about edibles...would send me to beekeepers.

Let's just say I hope everyone stays healthy and clean.

I've seen enough bad stuff

• Like 9

I hate when I go to write a ticket and I'm not sure what street I'm on because there are no street signs. Usually it's just an annoyance, and I check either my phone or the garmin we have in the car to get an answer. But this time I checked my phone and it said one name, but I wasn't sure that was right so I checked the garmin in the car. It said the name I thought it was. But when I went to write the ticket, the handheld brought up both street names as equally valid. But it just uses a dictionary search for preprogrammed city street names, not any sort of GPS of its own. So I chose one of the two, using the one I was most sure it was. Then I headed back to the office to check a physical map. The physical map said the same name as the one on my phone, which isn't the one I thought it was. But then I checked the address of a business on that street, and it said the street name was the one on the garmin and the one I thought it was.

So I guess both are valid?

• Like 2
  • Confused 10

4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

So, is that...questionable...in a great-story-at-parties way, or in a no-absolutely-not-we're-an-entirely-different-family-of-Joneses kind of way?

At the point where nobody can remember how you ended up rich... Or at least prove it.

Not sure. Questionable in the not-caught-red-handed sense I would think.

And you stop being Nouveau riche at the point where death-duties have made you Nouveau pauvre. Which, for me, was about the time grandfather popped his clogs.

• Sad 6

Did a little hobbying last night while watching the Three Billboards movie. It was good, btw... Mostly I was just cleaning the flash off of some rats and the werewolf minis from Frostgrave, but it still counts! Doubt I'll get any hobbying in today though. 

Well, off to visit my sister for the day. Keep it cool everyone!

• Like 8

I just finished deleting the last mobile game from my smartphone. :bday:

I had the sudden epiphany yesterday that not only were none of them especially fun, but they also were actively reducing my quality of life. I've noticed various parts of my upper body (hands, arms, shoulders, neck) have been getting fatigued and/or sore more readily since I got my smartphone a couple of years ago. Also, my eyestrain has gradually increased, and the occasional dry eyes spell has become more common. Add to all that the fact that the entire point of these things is to waste my time with busywork while slyly trying to separate me from my money.... 

Yeah, no. I'm done. I'm just sorry it took me this long to realize that I'd become addicted to this electronic junk food. I'm looking forward to seeing my general well-being and productivity improve over the next several weeks! ::D:

Please note that I'm in no way trying to knock anyone else's enjoyment of mobile games! It's just so easy for me to get addicted to similar electronic entertainments that it's best for me to just stay away from such things entirely and remind myself of how awful they are for me, because otherwise I'll just want to go right back to them. :) 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 16

4 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I had the sudden epiphany yesterday that not only were none of them especially fun, but they also were actively reducing my quality of life. I've noticed various parts of my upper body (hands, arms, shoulders, neck) have been getting fatigued and/or sore more readily since I got my smartphone a couple of years ago. Also, my eyestrain has gradually increased, and the occasional dry eyes spell has become more common. Add to all that the fact that the entire point of these things is to waste my time with busywork while slyly trying to separate me from my money.... 

Yeah, no. I'm done. I'm just sorry it took me this long to realize that I'd become addicted to this electronic junk food. I'm looking forward to seeing my general well-being and productivity improve over the next several weeks! ::D:

Please note that I'm in no way trying to knock anyone else's enjoyment of mobile games! It's just so easy for me to get addicted to similar electronic entertainments that it's best for me to just stay away from such things entirely and remind myself of how awful they are for me, because otherwise I'll just want to go right back to them. :) 

Huzzah!

While I've had a bunch of mobile games & for awhile Facebook games on Facebook, I've pretty much just have 2 that I play on regular basis. Simpsons: Tapped Out & Futurama, Worlds something something....Even then those are causal games. STO I've actually spent money on as I enjoy the game. Futurama I have but the recent updates have made the game not as enjoyable as it was when it first came out. We'll see if I keep it around much longer.

Facebook games while fun were taking way to much of my time & it was probably a blessing in disguise that my old computer up & died & I lost so much time on them that I didn't feel like re-installing them again when I got this computer.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

For all our Canadian friends who think it's really cold right now:

FEBRUARY 03 1947 - Thermometers at the airstrip at Snag, Yukon register -64C (-83F), the lowest temperature recorded in Canada; likely the lowest temperature on record in North America; an estimate, since thermometers in use were only graduated to 80 degrees below zero, and the gauges registered below the lowest mark. According to Environment Canada, Gordon Toole, the weather observer at Snag who checked the thermometer that day, said his breath hissed as he was breathing and formed a vapour trail behind him.

[copied from The Tortoise Tattler for Feb. 3rd]

GEM

It's not that bad here right now -20 C and snowing. The coldest I ever saw myself was in Saskatoon in the winter of 95/96. One day it was down to almost -50 C and they said it was under -70 C with the windchill. The whole city basically shut down. I got dressed and walked around the block just to see what it was like. I've had to work outside in -30 C weather and it's nasty but bearable if there's no wind. But around here it's windy 90+% of the time.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Pegazus said:

My head is sore.

Been facepalming all day. It’s... been interesting.

Report the perpetrators of this abuse to HR.

17 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So I loved the sculpt style of the Reapercon DarkSword freebie, DSM4747 Female Ranger (Archer?), so I decided to look up the sculptor. Bad. Idea. Now I want allllll the minis from DarkSword by Jeff Grace. By the way, he is very fond of that pose. Not that I'm complaining, it shows off the figure shape stupid well...

But this means I have too many minis on my wishlist to buy them all in one go! They're sooo pretty...

If there was any doubt before, you're definitely one of us now.::D:

13 hours ago, Zink said:

Watching a video on youtube just now and I swear that the ad in the corner is showing a coat made of bacon. Didn't click the link but thought some people here might be interested. ::D:

An excellent piece of survival gear! It'll keep you warm until you can get a fire going, and then it'll provide food. Also, being bacon, someone will smell you cooking it within minutes, and you'll be rescued.::D:

40 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah!

Good for you!

• Like 8

14 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I've only used lotion infused with it for pain but have never tried any of the edibles, it's expensive. I've talked to my doctor about it and we both agree that the stuff I've got going on that it wouldn't be beneficial to remove meds to replace with pot. I don't work so no worries there though.

Work is one of the reasons i haven't tried a lot of things.  I fully expect my retirement to be filled with illicit substances and minis.  its always been a personal goal of mine to enjoy the end of my life pain free and high as a kite in springtime... 

13 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I beg to differ. I tried the stuff when they legalized; bought a couple joints. Potency is WAY up from the last time I smoked any, back last century. Forgot how to talk for awhile, and was unable to go downstairs at one point because I didn't have enough feet to manage the stairs safely. ("All right... you can do this... one foot down... good... balance... that's good... now, the other foot... (beat)... aw, hell, I'm out of FEET!")

Edibles aren't much different from smoking, potency wise, but they're FAR easier to manage in terms of dosage; most candy bars, for example, are broken down into 10mg squares, which are a good place to start for a beginner. Eat the whole candy bar, and you'll find yourself orbiting Venus in about a half hour, 45 minutes. Main difference is the fact that it takes longer to hit the bloodstream.

Cannabis based topical creams are AMAZING as far as ERASING muscle and joint pain. Makes Ben Gay seem like bacon grease.

I always thought Ben Gay was chicken grease from its general effectiveness.  I figured they made it smell bad to encourage the placebo effect.  I did used to like the effect of capsicum rubs but one of my other drugs sensitized me to it and now you may as well just spill acid on the location its applied to (I admit the joint pain is not really an issue at that point... in the same way that dropping a hammer on your foot makes a headache more tolerable ::P:)

Work requirements make anything cannabis an impossibility although I would like some other options on my pain management.  Right now I am prescribed a special hi-dose NSAID  for my arthritis and spondilitis.  It seems to work, but my liver and kidney are not particularly thrilled with my taking it so, although I am supposed to take it 2x a day I usually have to keep it to every 48 hours or longer.  The rest of the time I have been using Voltaren.  Its pretty effective on my joint and muscle aches and a lot easier on my liver and kidney.  The fact that it is pretty odorless doesn't hurt either. 

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah!

Good for you!  I use them as a sanity plug in meetings and teleconferences where i have to listen but not participate.  other than that my interest in them waxes and wanes.   About the only one I am currently playing regularly is a word unscramble game.  I also don't seem to have much attraction for addictive behaviors.  i have to agree with you though, it is really hard on the back and neck.  Lately i have been trying to use it to encourage better posture (you can play but you have to hold it out and level and be stretching your neck and spine as close as they can come to normal to do it....  this has lead to a rapid decrease in the amount i play... ::D:)

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 8

This week has been... interesting.

• Got my first recorded video interview, and am got a call for another interview with another company. It's good to be qualified. ::D:
  • I ordered a 5e D&D PHB on Amazon on January 26th. But because of weather delays, the main ferry to the island has had many days of delays, so I still don't have my book. Meanwhile, someone else I know ordered his on the same day, but used Amazon Prime, and got it within 48 hours. ::(:
  • Bought myself a larger moka pot coffee maker. Now I'll have enough for a morning cup, afternoon cup and early evening cup with a single brewing.
  • I called a 1-866 number to activate my new credit card. As I finished dialing on my smartphone, I found it curious there was no dial tone. Then I realized I opened up the calculator app, and not the phone app. :blink:
  • Like 4
  • Haha 14

Turns out I was right about the bacon clothing. Only took a couple minutes of clicking on random youtube videos for it to pop up again. Yeah, I'm kinda bored right now but don't feel like getting up.

20171218172310_94935.jpg

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I've only used lotion infused with it for pain but have never tried any of the edibles, it's expensive. I've talked to my doctor about it and we both agree that the stuff I've got going on that it wouldn't be beneficial to remove meds to replace with pot. I don't work so no worries there though.

Soooo......  Prescription anti-anxiety drugs have been studied extensively.  My darling daughter struggled until we found the right one, which was facilitated by genetic testing to prove that her body absorbs the two most common ones too fast or too slow.  But hey, science was there for us and she's more together than many of her peers now.  I totally support research of new potential treatments, but it does require following protocols to actually evaluate the pros and cons.  I don't like this attitude that gets pushed about how it's all upside, because that's not realistic, in my experience.  (And if you want some anecdotal stories you should probably PM me.)  

I'm really glad you've got a doctor to help you out.  ^_^ 

• Like 9

Sorry for long silence. Moved again. I was getting to know my new area, getting cozier with a really good friend and finding a job.

For those not on the book of faces... I just got engaged recently.

Also now plotting how to set up a mini painting station as I have very little space, but my fiance wants to learn as well!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1