Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Flit said:

 

It has to be a dry eraseable battle mat.

 

That sounds awesome. And super useful.

 

I'm not sure if we're gaming tonight. Last week, we left off when my character was getting ready to fight a dual to the death with a pirate name Bloody Betty (we killed her brother, but he totally deserved it), and one of the others was in magical shop that would provide him with what he needed. 

 

But it then I wasn't gonna be here today, because my brother was moving up here from California, but then he changed to day of arrival to Sunday. On the other hand, our last interaction with hubby's best friend was him blowing us off to go have a threesome. Which is something you do in your twenties, not your forties. Plus, seriously, it just sounds like a lot of work.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Crowley said:

I just realized that tonight's dinner is literally right around the corner from the Compleat Strategist. I guess I'm gonna have to leave a little early and stop in before dinner!

Sadly I didn't realize that in the city that never sleeps, The Compleat Strategist closes at 6.  <_<

 

14 hours ago, knarthex said:

But where do you put your metal weapons????

 

 

I believe that 28mm is closest to 1/48 scale....

But as CW said, investigate...

 

Say hi to everyone from Scooter!

(That's my nickname there, from when I would ride my battery powered scooter there  from work.....)

And what eatery are you going to?

Dons Bogam, a korean BBQ place. Over priced. Would not recommend in general, though the seafood stew was excellent. Significant chunks of king crab, lobster, shrimp, soft shell crabs, octopus, etc. 

 

6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

It is just barely possible that I drank too much Dr. Pepper at tonight's last night's game.... If I went to bed right now, Megan would be wondering when we got a vibrating bed.

 

Thank the gods I don't work tomorrow...

 

The Auld Grump - the cure is obviously more Dr. Pepper, right?

:devil: *polite cough*

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going out to dinner with friends to a Japanese restaurant.

 

Still having minor flu troubles but I'm fighting it!

Anything for Yakitori!!!

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too lazy/comfy to get out of bed to eat. Plus, if I make myself something, I have to feed the bottomless abyss that is my cat. 

 

Shes gotten nice and plump though. Chubby kitteh.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

 

More of a card game than a board game, but have you looked at the Timeline games?

Have not looked at these. Will take a look, thanks. And thanks to everyone else for your suggestions too. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

That sounds awesome. And super useful.

They really are super useful we have 2. We use wet erase markers on them so we don't accidentally rub off the marker during play. It slows things down a tad between fights but that's just the time it takes to wipe it down and redraw a new map.

 

22 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Too lazy/comfy to get out of bed to eat. Plus, if I make myself something, I have to feed the bottomless abyss that is my cat. 

 

Shes gotten nice and plump though. Chubby kitteh.

 

I got up about an hour ago starving. I went to the kitchen and all I could smell were the brownies we made last night for today's game. I had to turn right back around and not eat because I was worried I'd just eat all the brownies. :lol:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got up way too early this morning. Luckily Husband didn't sleep in super long so I wasn't awake by myself as long as I thought I'd be. 

 

I'm about to start my own Mini Ma'al like @OneBoot did. It will be a more traditional color scheme since that is how Husband would like Big Ma'al painted but will be good to practice before I jump right into things. Especially for the black and white heads since I have no idea how to approach those. This is also my first conversion which will also be my first attempt at sculpting green stuff. Hopefully, it won't look like a big blob and might actually resemble scales. I'll make a WIP since this is going to be pretty involved.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

I got up about an hour ago starving. I went to the kitchen and all I could smell were the brownies we made last night for today's game. I had to turn right back around and not eat because I was worried I'd just eat all the brownies. :lol:

Super relatable. :eats tortilla chips for breakfast:

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Super relatable. :eats tortilla chips for breakfast:

I've already had 3 of my shortbread butter cookies... 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

They really are super useful we have 2. We use wet erase markers on them so we don't accidentally rub off the marker during play. It slows things down a tad between fights but that's just the time it takes to wipe it down and redraw a new

 

I just found an eraseable battle mat  on line for Mr Flit that has squares on one side and hexes on the other and comes with two dry erase markers. So the issue of not having a mat at the right place and time should be solved.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flit said:

 

I just found an eraseable battle mat  on line for Mr Flit that has squares on one side and hexes on the other and comes with two dry erase markers. So the issue of not having a mat at the right place and time should be solved.

That's exactly what we have. I always forget about the hexes since we very rarely use them.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't usually eat second breakfast, but today I did. And I have a case of the don't-wanas. I could blame the french toast I ate for second breakfast but I had the don't-wanas at first breakfast. I blame the clouds. They always suck out all of my energy. Time for a nap.

Edited by Flit
typo
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nap sounds good, but I'm tired, not sleepy. Ah well. 

 

Should probably make something for lunch. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

I'm about to start my own Mini Ma'al like @OneBoot did. It will be a more traditional color scheme since that is how Husband would like Big Ma'al painted but will be good to practice before I jump right into things. Especially for the black and white heads since I have no idea how to approach those. This is also my first conversion which will also be my first attempt at sculpting green stuff. Hopefully, it won't look like a big blob and might actually resemble scales. I'll make a WIP since this is going to be pretty involved.

 

 Since the black and white heads are on opposite sides of the center head, do the white with a bluish tint and blue shadows - Ghost White or Factory White is good for a base color, and the black with a blue tint - Blue Liner as a base color might work.

As for the green stuff, do it in at least two layers - the first should bulk out the basic shapes, then refine the muscles and things, and then sculpt the skin and surface details on top of that. Scales are relatively simple when you have good reference pics to work from - just make sure you visualize ahead of time how the scaled skin wraps around the shapes of the muscles and bones underneath it, and work a few rows or patches of scales at a time, otherwise you'll end up crushing all your previous work.

 

Also, you might want to build yourself a curing oven out of an old metal coffee can of decent size. At the most basic, you just put your mini in the coffee can and place a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb over the top of it, with just enough space inbetween the edges for the heat to escape. You don't want the temperature in the can to get much above 94 degrees F or so - the extra heat might toast the surface of the greenstuff rather than help it cure. If you plan to do a lot of sculpting, you might want to cut out a door in the side of the can and make some holes in the door and can to thread some wire through to make hinges, and cut a small notch out of the bottom of the door so you can insert a small room thermometer inside to monitor the temperature.

 

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

 

 Since the black and white heads are on opposite sides of the center head, do the white with a bluish tint and blue shadows - Ghost White or Factory White is good for a base color, and the black with a blue tint - Blue Liner as a base color might work.

As for the green stuff, do it in at least two layers - the first should bulk out the basic shapes, then refine the muscles and hings, and then sculpt the skin and surface details on top of that. Scales are relatively simple when you have good reference pics to work from - just make sure you visualize ahead of time how the scaled skin wraps around the shapes of the muscles and bones underneath it, and work a few rows or patches of scales at a time, otherwise you'll end up crushing all your previous work.

 

Also, you might want to build yourself a curing oven out of an old metal coffee can of decent size. At the most basic, you just put your mini in the coffee can and place a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb over the top of it, with just enough space inbetween the edges for the heat to escape. You don't want the temperature in the can to get much above 94 degrees F or so - the extra heat might toast the surface of the greenstuff rather than help it cure. If you plan to do a lot of sculpting, you might want to cut out a door in the side of the can and make some holes in the door and can to thread some wire through to make hinges, and cut a small notch out of the bottom of the door so you can insert a small room thermometer inside to monitor the temperature.

 

 

Thanks much! I'd planned on priming it in thinned down blue liner. Thanks for the tips about the GS too. I'll have to look around for my sculpting tools but I think that it's doable, just very time consuming, especially since I've never sculpted anything that small with tools.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...