Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Just now, Thes Hunter said:

It was great hanging out with @pcktlnt today and yesterday. 

Hope you enjoy the snow!!!

I don’t have to go to work until 4. :lol: 

Around 4 I'll be getting ready to go home...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Step Six: Install WINE which allows many Windo$s programs to think they are running in a windows environment but are actually running in a walled garden.

Step Seven: Go shopping in the equivalent of an app store for whatever productivity software is needed.

Step Eight:  Stop having to worry about Windo$e trying to run your life better than you can do the job, or drop the ball and start gazing at its navel when you absolutely must get work done.

GEM

P.S.  you are using Linux right now as the software that makes the internet go all runs in a Linux environment

Except WINE causes problems and doesn't allow some functionality in a lot of cases. Trust me. I've tried. That's why there's whole sections of various websites dedicated to listing certain types of software in a "what works, what's buggy, and what's broken" format.

And while Linux powers everything from toasters to supercomputers, it still hasn't taken over the desktop for all its attempts. And it's because unless you're the same type of tech geek that fills the open source community, the type who likes to poke around under the hood, you're not going to easily get what you're looking for out of Linux. At least not unless it's almost as much of a navel-gazing ball dropper as Windows is. Oh, and it's also a fairly walled garden unless you're specifically trying to break out. Because the only truly successful consumer version of Linux is Android, and that's exactly what it is. You have very limited access in most cases, without enabling developer options that are sometimes hidden you're relegated to using the app store only, it often forces updates, and it can and will broccoli the bed when you're trying to do stuff.

Not even Ubuntu, the most successful attempt at a desktop Linux yet, has fixed many of the issues that keep normal people from sticking around. Largely because it's still using open source software that's still being developed by a bunch of ivory tower dwelling techies who value power over ease of use and demand that everyone else adapt rather than design a more user friendly interface. I shouldn't be forced to go into a command line when Gnome suddenly decides to delete its own config files and break my desktop, there should be some default config, like a Windows safe mode desktop, that kicks in. But nope, that's too easy. We can't have that. You need to learn how to read a 300 page man file so that you can hand code a new config file and then hope it works to get you a desktop environment again...

Yes, I have experience with this stuff. I'm happy for you that you apparently don't have these issues. But so many other people do. I couldn't play my games on Linux, because WINE is trash and Linux drivers suck. I couldn't get a stable desktop because trying to change my wallpaper resulted in Gnome spazzing out and delete its own config. Trying to run a multi-monitor setup resulted in all sorts of issues as well. And I wasn't about to spend a year learning the ins and outs of everything, learning to pop into the command line all the time because not everything is able to be done in settings windows even if it's super important to do, and hoping that someday I'd end up with an OS that didn't seem to actively hate me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

43 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I want to taste that... 

40 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

The real question is.... How did they taste?

And did he win?

No idea the taste. Currently on a business trip. Wife said it was strange. It tasted sweet, but was definitely onion taste. Contest is tomorrow, but I do not think he has a good chance. 

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 4

Unless there's a 'weird pie' category.

Or the judges really like onions.

Or it's a savory meringue.

All of which are possible.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Except WINE causes problems and doesn't allow some functionality in a lot of cases. Trust me. I've tried. That's why there's whole sections of various websites dedicated to listing certain types of software in a "what works, what's buggy, and what's broken" format.

And while Linux powers everything from toasters to supercomputers, it still hasn't taken over the desktop for all its attempts. And it's because unless you're the same type of tech geek that fills the open source community, the type who likes to poke around under the hood, you're not going to easily get what you're looking for out of Linux. At least not unless it's almost as much of a navel-gazing ball dropper as Windows is. Oh, and it's also a fairly walled garden unless you're specifically trying to break out. Because the only truly successful consumer version of Linux is Android, and that's exactly what it is. You have very limited access in most cases, without enabling developer options that are sometimes hidden you're relegated to using the app store only, it often forces updates, and it can and will broccoli the bed when you're trying to do stuff.

Not even Ubuntu, the most successful attempt at a desktop Linux yet, has fixed many of the issues that keep normal people from sticking around. Largely because it's still using open source software that's still being developed by a bunch of ivory tower dwelling techies who value power over ease of use and demand that everyone else adapt rather than design a more user friendly interface. I shouldn't be forced to go into a command line when Gnome suddenly decides to delete its own config files and break my desktop, there should be some default config, like a Windows safe mode desktop, that kicks in. But nope, that's too easy. We can't have that. You need to learn how to read a 300 page man file so that you can hand code a new config file and then hope it works to get you a desktop environment again...

Yes, I have experience with this stuff. I'm happy for you that you apparently don't have these issues. But so many other people do. I couldn't play my games on Linux, because WINE is trash and Linux drivers suck. I couldn't get a stable desktop because trying to change my wallpaper resulted in Gnome spazzing out and delete its own config. Trying to run a multi-monitor setup resulted in all sorts of issues as well. And I wasn't about to spend a year learning the ins and outs of everything, learning to pop into the command line all the time because not everything is able to be done in settings windows even if it's super important to do, and hoping that someday I'd end up with an OS that didn't seem to actively hate me.

Guilty as charged on being a technical geek.

When I first learned logic circuits [in The Navy] the syllabus was subtitled "Magic Rocks" and a quad JK flip-flop was the state of the art of commercially available chips.

You make some valid observations about Linux, but I must counter that the driver issues, which are part of the multi-monitor issue keep getting better and the time for resolution keeps getting shorter.

With every release of Ubuntu it becomes a more user friendly experience for the non technical, and I must include the observation that much of the trouble people get themselves into is by trying to use Windo$e thinking to tweak a Linux Environment.

We are now at the point where Micro$oft has had more than a full generation to imprint their way [which often does not follow internationally agreed to standards and protocols] of doing things on an impressionable and mostly technically illiterate public.  This affects many areas of technology, not just Linux.

Linux isn't for everybody, and it never will be as it requires the same mental outlook and mindset as a preference for manual transmissions over automatics in automobiles.  It keeps getting more user friendly, and if it had even 10% of the resources as Micro$oft it would soon surpass and replace what comes out of Redmond, Washington, and at an economic cost to society much less than what Micro$oft demands.

GEM

• Like 1

There is one area where Linux is downright amazing though - various forms of research, but especially BOINC and [email protected], which see at least 15% bonuses to productivity, and some projects (especially core 21's in [email protected]) will see a 25% boost.  Some BOINC projects have a 300% boost in productivity, but that's partially due to the coding for the types of programs they use being absolutely terrible in Windows.

Of course I can't remember which projects, but still... I think it was Vina (and the newer, replacement for Vina)  based applications in projects that saw the dramatic jump.  That 15-25% overall baseline increase is seen on CPU and CUDA tasks simply due to the more efficient handling of background stuff that Linux has. OpenCL still is a mixed bag though, although AMD has gotten better about their drivers the past year and a half. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I cannot recommend the Sacle 75 metallics enough. I've only got the copper set but do plan on getting the others. I haven't tried out their regular line of paints though. That's generally how I organize my paints in the caddies and then after that all the other stuff is hit and miss where I put it.

I've been eyeing up that particular set, as well as the Steel one...  Well, for metallics.  For non-metallics, I've also been tempted by Creatures From Hell, Steam and Punk, Sky and Ice, Colours of Nature, as well as Blood and Fire....  A lot of people on here seem to swear by their paints, as well as Reapers...  And how well the two play together for various things.

If I'm doing a larger-ish order with them (or even just say, two packs) I suspect it won't be until at least a few months from now, as I have to take care of a few things before I can get a decent amount of paints again.

EDIT: Whoops, totally double posted while replying to two different topics >.>;;;

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

It was great hanging out with @pcktlnt today and yesterday. 

Hope you enjoy the snow!!!

I don’t have to go to work until 4. :lol: 

I'm back on death shift cause I'm the one driving people back and forth between our buildings. Woo woo. No night shift anymore.  

• Like 6

Had a really good superheros game this afternoon-evening. Much fun was had by all and no one was seriously injured by the Gigantapithicus(s). Then ate at IHOP for the second day in a row. I usually don't go there more than a few times a year.

Then when we got home one of the cats got outside. I was running around in the yard at midnight trying to catch him or coax him to come inside. The dog and the other cat keep looking out the window for him. Still haven't captured him yet. Its chilly tonight so he is going to get cold. I hope he comes back soon and doesn't get hurt. Probably won't get any sleep tonight on top of a bad night's sleep last night.

• Sad 6

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Around 4 I'll be getting ready to go home...

Me too! 

• Like 5

Still coughing...stupid cold/flu/alien bacteria..

Almost lunchtime..

I think I'm going to devour some meat..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Flit said:

Had a really good superheros game this afternoon-evening. Much fun was had by all and no one was seriously injured by the Gigantapithicus(s). Then ate at IHOP for the second day in a row. I usually don't go there more than a few times a year.

Then when we got home one of the cats got outside. I was running around in the yard at midnight trying to catch him or coax him to come inside. The dog and the other cat keep looking out the window for him. Still haven't captured him yet. Its chilly tonight so he is going to get cold. I hope he comes back soon and doesn't get hurt. Probably won't get any sleep tonight on top of a bad night's sleep last night.

Awesome Wife has a fix for this (most of the time).  Find some sort of treat that the animal likes.  Put it in a can that rattles.  Rattle the can every time you give the critter a treat.  If the critter ever gets out, rattle the can and it should come running.  That's what we do for our rabbit.  We let it out on the fenced in deck during nice weather, but are afraid that someone will leave one of the gates open.  The rabbit loves dried apricot (it's like crack to him), so a shake of the jar it's in brings him running.

• Like 8