Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

Much the less awkward option, in my experience.

I was actually prepared for the awkward version. (This was the third time posing for her Life Studies class - apparently older models are hard to find.)

This was also the youngest class - Megan was there as an assistant, not as a student. (Though she did get a sketch in.)

It was weird seeing one of those kilted drawings being used to advertise Strive - an organization for people with learning disabilities.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I was actually prepared for the awkward version. (This was the third time posing for her Life Studies class - apparently older models are hard to find.)

Really? 'Cuz, uhhhh, art school was, uhhhh ...

We had some. :ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Ok, my brain is farting on me. Well not literally farting on me, but I'm having one my moments where I can't remember a name.

I have promised Deb one of the Gen Con MHE coordinators that I would love to help her out for Gen Con the last few years. (She is also the lady and husband that checks miniatures in for the Reaper Con Painting contest.) And I can not remember her last name.

Without her last name, I can't see if I have her email address, and without her last name, can not begin to then find other ways to contact her. :sad panda:*

I know she even got an Award last Reaper Con, and looking at the Reaper con website, I can not find the exact name of that reward (It's something like Life Time Achievement, but not quite), nor can I find out who won it for any year. :again Sad Panda:

Does anyone here know who I'm talking about, and could at least point me to a post that has her name? 

Thank you all for your help, and sorry to interrupt the random with my cry for help.

*Which should totally be an icon, btw.

• Sad 7

It's an exciting time to be alive. New Star Wars board game with fun miniatures. New Hellboy board game with fun miniatures.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Pingo said:

At small private catholic school, we had mostly older models. At Big Liberal University school, we had mostly young lithe dancers. (Because there was a standing relationship with the School of Dance.)

I think more of a mix is better. The very fit lean dancers were great especially when trying to learn the base anatomy, but the curves, folds, and dangles of other body types are very interesting forms as well. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

At small private catholic school, we had mostly older models. At Big Liberal University school, we had mostly young lithe dancers. (Because there was a standing relationship with the School of Dance.)

I think more of a mix is better. The very fit lean dancers were great especially when trying to learn the base anatomy, but the curves, folds, and dangles of other body types are very interesting forms as well. 

I went to a major museum-connected art school. We actually got a good mix of ages and body types of both genders. At the time I was a young punk* and was a little put off by some of the older, squidgier models, but in retrospect it was a strong learning experience.

48 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I would make a fantastically grotesque work of art. Not gonna lie.

It can make some powerful work (The Drunkenness of Noah couldn't have been painted without older nude models), but so far as I'm concerned no one will ever see some of my old class work.

*Not literally. I was never anything so interesting or cool as a Punk.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

We had something a little like that in my neighborhood. One of the city’s very last fully functional WWII vintage quonset hut garages was demolished, along with some disreputable but historic old tiki bar next door and a few older low rise apartment buildings, for a giganto-humongous high rise project ... just as the real estate market crashed 10 years ago. 

The lot has been vacant ever since. At the moment it’s a gravel parking lot in a now-dead area.

Apparently these developers are getting a reputation for delayed projects. Winnipeg saw what was (not) happening in Regina and took it as a cautionary tale, and required the developers to completely secure funding for building before they'd allow them to swing a single wrecking ball.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Apparently these developers are getting a reputation for delayed projects. Winnipeg saw what was (not) happening in Regina and took it as a cautionary tale, and required the developers to completely secure funding for building before they'd allow them to swing a single wrecking ball.

If "putting up 100% of the equity" means secured funding (serious question, I don't know if they mean the same), then the 2005 Santiago Calatrava tower project designed for Chicago secured funding and it failed anyway.

I gather the pit is still there.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

4 minutes ago, Pingo said:

If "putting up 100% of the equity" means secured funding (serious question, I don't know if they mean the same), then the 2005 Santiago Calatrava tower project designed for Chicago secured funding and it failed anyway.

This all sounds like a brick-and-mortar version of Kickstarter. :unsure:

At least they didn’t start building up before quitting, like in some cities. Filling in a hole is much easier when there’s no need for demolitions first.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Yesterday they've been ordered to backfill it by the end of this month, or the city will do it and bill them for it.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok, my brain is farting on me. Well not literally farting on me, but I'm having one my moments where I can't remember a name.

I have promised Deb one of the Gen Con MHE coordinators that I would love to help her out for Gen Con the last few years. (She is also the lady and husband that checks miniatures in for the Reaper Con Painting contest.) And I can not remember her last name.

Without her last name, I can't see if I have her email address, and without her last name, can not begin to then find other ways to contact her. :sad panda:*

I know she even got an Award last Reaper Con, and looking at the Reaper con website, I can not find the exact name of that reward (It's something like Life Time Achievement, but not quite), nor can I find out who won it for any year. :again Sad Panda:

Does anyone here know who I'm talking about, and could at least point me to a post that has her name? 

Thank you all for your help, and sorry to interrupt the random with my cry for help.

*Which should totally be an icon, btw.

Is it Debbie Lewis? She is mention in this post Hall of Fame Update & Bios and a quick search of Facebook friends resulted in a post by Marsya mentioning her as being involved in the MHE area at GenCon a few years ago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

One very effective remedy is to require a substantial Performance Bond, enough so that not completing the project, on time and to specification, is painful enough to act as a goad to keep the project moving forward.  If it still fails then there is money available to complete the project or do whatever remediation is appropriate.

GEM

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

In this case, I think most of the modeling jobs are taken by starving students. ::P:

I didn't so much volunteer as was volunteered. (One step up from voluntold - I could have said no.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

On 4/3/2018 at 4:15 PM, PaganMegan said:

In Grump's case it is mostly messiness.

He WILL get around to cleaning up his mess, eventually, but gawd, I wish he would tidy up his paints and scattered craft and gaming crap as he goes along.

It doesn't help that when I ask him where a color is he can reach into the mess and pull out the color without even looking. <_< To him it ISN'T a mess.

That's because it isn't a mess.

Everything is laid out using FAFS architecture (First Available Flat Surface), and expands in concentric rings in order to utilize EAI advantages (Every Available Inch).

I know you know this, because you will point to my are of the craft table  and tell people 'And that is where Grump FAFS around'.

As for replacing the items when I am finished with them I use my own methodology - rather than First In First Out (FIFO) or First In Last Out (FILO) I use First In Left THere (FILTH), which works well with my spacial awareness and memory.

The Auld Grump - the thing she left out was my tendency to mansplain....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11