Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

18 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Yep. The Snark is strong in this one...  :B):

All day I've had the urge to take a WH40K figure like a Space Marine general or something, with his big shoulderpads and giant stompy boots and giant Gothic-Cathedral-fencing banner on his back, and arm him with a BFS.

And then name him Grimdark Hereticbane and stat him up as an Oath of Conquest paladin for 5E, and play him straight as an ultra-intense psychotic WH40K "For The Emperor!" type, a complete elfhat who's so utterly self-obssessed that he's not even aware he's in the wrong universe...

And gods help anybody who asks him which Emperor he keeps ranting about, lol.

Oh my gosh I love this idea!!! :lol: And I know MrBoot will love it too, he's really interested in the WH40K fluff (though not playing the game, mostly for financial reasons. I don't think our budget could support two miniature collectors lol).

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

I went to a major museum-connected art school. We actually got a good mix of ages and body types of both genders. At the time I was a young punk* and was a little put off by some of the older, squidgier models, but in retrospect it was a strong learning experience.

It can make some powerful work (The Drunkenness of Noah couldn't have been painted without older nude models), but so far as I'm concerned no one will ever see some of my old class work.

*Not literally. I was never anything so interesting or cool as a Punk.

And let us not forget Rembrandt van Rijn, who was known to use the same models for several different roles. (Megan tells me that she is pretty sure that in Evangelist Matthew and the Angel, the angel is blowing in Matthew's ear.... She is not quite as fond of the Dutch Masters as I. ::P: )

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

If "putting up 100% of the equity" means secured funding (serious question, I don't know if they mean the same), then the 2005 Santiago Calatrava tower project designed for Chicago secured funding and it failed anyway.

I gather the pit is still there.

And then there is the sheer chutzpah of starting a bridge, secure in the belief that you will be granted eminent domain to build the other side - after half completing the project.

Only to have the court go 'Unh, no. We already have three bridges, and don't have cause to seize the properties'. (Pittsburgh... the bridge was eventually finished - some twenty years later.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Last night I dreamed I was running The Blight from Frog God Games....

Let me start off by saying that The Blight is freakin' awesome!

It is also freakin' horrible - and I mean that in the best way possible. I would not want to either live or to die there1.

It is a teeming hive of skum2 and villainy.

With a population of over three million. (It breaks the scale of the settlement rules in Pathfinder.)

And that I am incredibly envious of Richard Pett as a consequence.

I know where aspects of the dream came from - with #1 being the setting itself.

Second was, of all things, Ghostbusters - the PCs were, well, ghost busters.

Third was City of Lost Children. (And maybe a little bit of Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters.)

Fourth was the Regency Space setting I have been working on for Starfinder.

Good ideas - the PCs have 'a mysterious patron'3 and are all given what amounts to the Rich Parents trait for for free - but any money above their normal starting funds has to be put into the company.

So, if the Fighter wants to spend the money on a pair of masterwork swords - one cold iron, the other silver - then it will belong to the company, not the character.

Likewise, if one of the characters has the Drive skill then getting a carriage might well be an option for the company.

Bad idea - I am pretty sure I was cannibalizing my Regency Space game for some of the scenarios... and I plan to run that as soon as the group finishes Rise of the Rune Lords. (All three of the games I am currently running will be finishing up at about the same time - in spite of having wildly different starting dates.)

I may start a thread when it is closer to when I am actually planning the game - but, damn, I think I know what I will be running when Megan finishes her Eberron game.

I am already laying out the groundwork.4

The%20Blight.jpg

The Auld Grump

1. Unless suitably remunerated the city will lay claim to any corpses - necromancy is one of the bases for the city's economy.

2. Skum are the Pathfinder version of Lovecraft's Deep Ones.

3. There is, of course, no way that this can come back and bite them in the nether regions.

4. Yes, I am using footnotes in what I have so far.... I am rather fond of the way it looks on the page.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

I was going to put this in the thread about the Affluenza Teen, but, well... I wanted to share with a wider audience. ::P:

A song for proper rogues, scalawags, and scoundrels.

The Auld Grump - the song is by Jez Lowe - I highly recommend his works. ::D: (Performed here by The Dubliners.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

I went to a major museum-connected art school. We actually got a good mix of ages and body types of both genders. At the time I was a young punk* and was a little put off by some of the older, squidgier models, but in retrospect it was a strong learning experience.

It can make some powerful work (The Drunkenness of Noah couldn't have been painted without older nude models), but so far as I'm concerned no one will ever see some of my old class work.

Megan is going to MeCA. The Maine College of the Arts.

Sort of middlin' small.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

5ac55a4c0fda2_goodconduct.jpg.041c3d762b5e4c8e7a15539436db3d6b.jpg

I managed to acquire a few of those. We used to call 'em  'didn't get caught' medals.::D:

Fun fact: it used to be that you earned 1 for every 4 years of service. January 1, 1996, the Navy dropped the requirement to every three years.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

5ac55a4c0fda2_goodconduct.jpg.041c3d762b5e4c8e7a15539436db3d6b.jpg

I managed to acquire a few of those. We used to call 'em  'didn't get caught' medals.::D:

Fun fact: it used to be that you earned 1 for every 4 years of service. January 1, 1996, the Navy dropped the requirement to every three years.:lol:

We called them "Four Years of Undetected Crime".

GEM

• Haha 7

20 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I made some cold-brew coffee last summer.  Then I got lazy and bought some.  Yummy stuff, but I prefer hot coffee when the weather is cool.  

Grump makes it, every now and again.

Why he makes better coffee than I do when he hardly even drinks it is an unfair mystery.

47 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Well, phooey, we are losing Molly (the Younger) - she just accepted a job in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

The Auld Grump

I've known about if for a while now, that's why she isn't in the Eberron game.

They were waiting for her to hit the magic number of Twenty One.

The next day BAM!

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Megan is going to MeCA. The Maine College of the Arts.

Sort of middlin' small.

The Auld Grump

Big for Maine.

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Last night I dreamed I was running The Blight from Frog God Games....

Let me start off by saying that The Blight is freakin' awesome!

It is also freakin' horrible - and I mean that in the best way possible. I would not want to either live or to die there1.

It is a teeming hive of skum2 and villainy.

With a population of over three million. (It breaks the scale of the settlement rules in Pathfinder.)

And that I am incredibly envious of Richard Pett as a consequence.

I know where aspects of the dream came from - with #1 being the setting itself.

Second was, of all things, Ghostbusters - the PCs were, well, ghost busters.

Third was City of Lost Children. (And maybe a little bit of Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters.)

Fourth was the Regency Space setting I have been working on for Starfinder.

Good ideas - the PCs have 'a mysterious patron'3 and are all given what amounts to the Rich Parents trait for for free - but any money above their normal starting funds has to be put into the company.

So, if the Fighter wants to spend the money on a pair of masterwork swords - one cold iron, the other silver - then it will belong to the company, not the character.

Likewise, if one of the characters has the Drive skill then getting a carriage might well be an option for the company.

Bad idea - I am pretty sure I was cannibalizing my Regency Space game for some of the scenarios... and I plan to run that as soon as the group finishes Rise of the Rune Lords. (All three of the games I am currently running will be finishing up at about the same time - in spite of having wildly different starting dates.)

I may start a thread when it is closer to when I am actually planning the game - but, damn, I think I know what I will be running when Megan finishes her Eberron game.

I am already laying out the groundwork.4

The%20Blight.jpg

The Auld Grump

1. Unless suitably remunerated the city will lay claim to any corpses - necromancy is one of the bases for the city's economy.

2. Skum are the Pathfinder version of Lovecraft's Deep Ones.

3. There is, of course, no way that this can come back and bite them in the nether regions.

4. Yes, I am using footnotes in what I have so far.... I am rather fond of the way it looks on the page.

Do the Spelljammer/Regency game first.

I've been looking forward to it, even if you are making it Gothjammer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

I prefer older models, their bodies have more stories to tell.

Look! She's had a baby and breast fed!

Look! He's got ladder scars on his wrists where he tried to kill himself!

Everybody's body has something to say.

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That's because it isn't a mess.

Everything is laid out using FAFS architecture (First Available Flat Surface), and expands in concentric rings in order to utilize EAI advantages (Every Available Inch).

I know you know this, because you will point to my are of the craft table  and tell people 'And that is where Grump FAFS around'.

As for replacing the items when I am finished with them I use my own methodology - rather than First In First Out (FIFO) or First In Last Out (FILO) I use First In Left THere (FILTH), which works well with my spacial awareness and memory.

The Auld Grump - the thing she left out was my tendency to mansplain....

You watch yourself for mansplaing.

When you catch yourself you either stop or ham it up.

Like you did here.<_<:lol::rolleyes:

FILTH is right!

And I have NEVER said FAFS in my life!::P:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok, my brain is farting on me. 

:blink:::o::ph34r:...:lol:

...I do do not think this means what you think it means...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Everybody's body has something to say.

Mine says "Condemned by Order of City Hall"...

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

I would make a fantastically grotesque work of art. Not gonna lie.

Maybe you could move to Europe and get a job as a sculptor's model - there are plenty of old Gothic-style buildings and cathedrals that need their gargoyles replaced...

58 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Well, phooey, we are losing Molly (the Younger) - she just accepted a job in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

So, she'll be available for NEMPA Paint Days then?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

We called them "Four Years of Undetected Crime".

GEM

In my case, it was 24 years.  The change in time made my Good Conduct stars off.  As my first couple were under the 4 year time line, people who joined after the switch would look at my ribbon and wonder why I had gold stripes (12 years good conduct) but not awards for Good Conduct.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I do not understand faces. At all.

(This is an uncomfortable stage in the learning process. It is normal. It will pass.)

But meanwhile ... Faces, augggggh.

• Haha 8