Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I know how to artificially inseminate a cow!

A practical and useful skill.

Plus you’re ten times the writer I am and a far more perceptive reader.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I know how to artificially inseminate a cow!

While that might be a useful practical skill for you, for most of us I think that it would serve no practical utility.

GEM

• Like 6

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Marvin trolls too much and we disagree on way too much.

But he has got some mad skillz.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2018 at 3:40 PM, Cyradis said:

Because he wanted to show his face while he still looks young. He knows he can look decent in a beard, and decided that it is a back-up for when he actually looks old. 

I'm going to start getting accused of being a cougar by going out with him. I'm only 2.5 years older <_<

I shaved my beard (van Dyke) off a year and a half ago for Movember. It was the first time I'd been clean-shaven in over 10 years. I have no plans to shave it off again. EVER!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Is it Debbie Lewis? She is mention in this post Hall of Fame Update & Bios and a quick search of Facebook friends resulted in a post by Marsya mentioning her as being involved in the MHE area at GenCon a few years ago.

Yes! That is who I am looking for!

My google foo was even failing me, because I couldn't even find the Hall of Fame. (I looked around at various places for more time than I care to admit, because I was obviously rolling 1's on my spot checks.)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

While that might be a useful practical skill for you, for most of us I think that it would serve no practical utility.

GEM

Lol I've no need of the knowledge either. I managed to avoid actually doing it back when we still were in the cow game, fortunately.

58 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Plus you’re ten times the writer I am and a far more perceptive reader.

I say this 100% not to be cute/funny/dismissive/modest: Anybody can write. I've probably said this before. But it's true. I mean, some people have an inexplicable knack, and some people can learn to do it better, and blah blah blah, but pretty much anyone can get within earshot of a good editor's fixing, anyway.

Regarding the theory and practice of learning to write better I have many ideas and some small amount of advice that is very accurate and possibly slightly helpful. I'd share, but it'd kinda turn into an infodump. tl;dr version, it's all basically stealing from and copying good writers until you learn to do it yourself. Ta-da.

54 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Marvin trolls too much and we disagree on way too much.

But he has got some mad skillz.

If you saw the memes I post on Facebook I worry you might literally seize up and die.

I LOVE YOU PINGO YOU BIG HIPPIE

• Like 10

8 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Is it Debbie Lewis? She is mention in this post Hall of Fame Update & Bios and a quick search of Facebook friends resulted in a post by Marsya mentioning her as being involved in the MHE area at GenCon a few years ago.

Thank you for the name. I dug around looking for her email, or if I could find her on FB, but no avail.

At least having her name, helped me write an inquiry to the MHE events people through the official Gen Con email. Hopefully that will work to get me in touch with her.

Thank you!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

"Do one thing every day that scares you."

Not sold on that, myself, but it came to mind.  (In IT work, you very rarely want to do something that scares you.  I've done it, but I have a saying: "Just because I can do something doesn't mean I ever want to do it.")

I manually edited a production database once...  ...while people were using it.  I think it violated every best practices guideline I've ever heard of.  :rolleyes: Never felt the need to be a hotshot since.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I had a great idea for a kind of Bebop-meets-Firefly comic I think would've been pretty broccoliin'. Didn't think it'd look too good in stick figures tho.

Have you ever come across Irregular Webcomic?

• Like 4

Pest Awful says there is a box waiting for me.

Should be the "lead circuit" BoGW.  I will have just a little time to look it over tomorrow then it will have to wait till fiurst of week for a complete inspection.

Wife and I are going to Fresno for the Mennonite West Coast Quilt Sale and Fundraiser, an annual event, and to celebrate Son in Laws birthday.

He is getting Thinkgeek Math oriented tees for his birthday gift from us.

As for the Mennonite Event, it is a wonderful display of Fabric Arts, an auction of general goods [many being antiques] on Friday Evening, an auction of Quilts on Saturday that are Gallery and Museum Quality examples of the quilters art and craft, plus book and recording sales [I'm hoping to find some Polka Music], and too much good food, including Zwieback and handmade cheeses.

Proceeds go to the International Mennonite Relief Fund.

GEM

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Thank you for the name. I dug around looking for her email, or if I could find her on FB, but no avail.

At least having her name, helped me write an inquiry to the MHE events people through the official Gen Con email. Hopefully that will work to get me in touch with her.

Thank you!

You’re welcome. Hopefully you can get in touch, good luck.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Last night I dreamed I was running The Blight from Frog God Games....

Let me start off by saying that The Blight is freakin' awesome!

It is also freakin' horrible - and I mean that in the best way possible. I would not want to either live or to die there1.

It is a teeming hive of skum2 and villainy.

With a population of over three million. (It breaks the scale of the settlement rules in Pathfinder.)

And that I am incredibly envious of Richard Pett as a consequence.

I know where aspects of the dream came from - with #1 being the setting itself.

Second was, of all things, Ghostbusters - the PCs were, well, ghost busters.

Third was City of Lost Children. (And maybe a little bit of Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters.)

Fourth was the Regency Space setting I have been working on for Starfinder.

Good ideas - the PCs have 'a mysterious patron'3 and are all given what amounts to the Rich Parents trait for for free - but any money above their normal starting funds has to be put into the company.

So, if the Fighter wants to spend the money on a pair of masterwork swords - one cold iron, the other silver - then it will belong to the company, not the character.

Likewise, if one of the characters has the Drive skill then getting a carriage might well be an option for the company.

Bad idea - I am pretty sure I was cannibalizing my Regency Space game for some of the scenarios... and I plan to run that as soon as the group finishes Rise of the Rune Lords. (All three of the games I am currently running will be finishing up at about the same time - in spite of having wildly different starting dates.)

I may start a thread when it is closer to when I am actually planning the game - but, damn, I think I know what I will be running when Megan finishes her Eberron game.

I am already laying out the groundwork.4

The%20Blight.jpg

The Auld Grump

1. Unless suitably remunerated the city will lay claim to any corpses - necromancy is one of the bases for the city's economy.

2. Skum are the Pathfinder version of Lovecraft's Deep Ones.

3. There is, of course, no way that this can come back and bite them in the nether regions.

4. Yes, I am using footnotes in what I have so far.... I am rather fond of the way it looks on the page.

I've always wanted to run a megacity type campaign. I even bought all the Ptolus stuff when it was on Bundle of Holding specifically to get a feel for it. But I guess I just can't wrap my head around it. I don't know how to handle it all.

I'd need street-level maps, at the very least, so that I could hand them out to the players. I'd need a list of landmarks for at least 1/3 of the streets. Because I'd want to be able to do stuff like "Your contact wants you to meet him in Sunnyside. Grant Avenue. He said you'll find him outside The Summit." And then, when they show up, "You turn the corner and find your contact in a bloody heap. A cloaked figure darts down Houston, and you catch the glint of metal as he rounds the corner." And then it turns into a turn-by-turn chase, with the party probably splitting up based on the street map to get intercept routes.

But the problem is that, at best, you get one big mess of a map that, if you're lucky, you can pick out any streets or alleys other than main thoroughfares. And landmarks are a handful of super major locations.

Maybe I just don't understand how to run an urban game.

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

So naturally I am attempting to write and draw comics.

Augggh ...

It's going to probably sound a little weird, but listen to some of the early episodes of Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast. Specifically the episodes with people like Grant Morrison, Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Joe Quesada, Geoff Johns, and Jim Lee. Those guys are major heavy hitters in comics art or writing, and they talk about their experiences getting started and when writing/drawing various stories.

They don't really get into the technical side all that much, but maybe you'll find some inspiration or pointers in there. If nothing else they have a tendency to be entertaining if you've got any interest in how certain parts of popular culture came about.

3 hours ago, Flit said:

Or Rob Liefeld.

Beaten to the punch! I guess I didn't have big enough pouches, tiny enough feet, or enough teeth to get there first...

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Regarding the theory and practice of learning to write better I have many ideas and some small amount of advice that is very accurate and possibly slightly helpful. I'd share, but it'd kinda turn into an infodump. tl;dr version, it's all basically stealing from and copying good writers until you learn to do it yourself. Ta-da.

Yea, just look at E. L. James. She did it, and she made billions. Somehow. No one really knows...

And holy crap, the first season of The Wire is freaking great. If the rest of this show keeps this strong, I'm gonna love it.

• Like 7

>catches the airborne stroopwaffles, and begins munching<

10 hours ago, Pingo said:

Also I know LESS THAN NOTHING ABOUT WRITING. What do I think I am doing? Augggh ...

Banging your head on the desk?

I'm sorry it's being vexing right now.

• Like 6

We have entered the last 100 pages of this thread.

How time flies..

So, thread...do you wish to make "arrangements"?

• Like 5