Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV - The Bunny Gets The Pancakes.

Randomness XIV - 'Cause Tetradeca Is In, Baby!

Randomness XIV - The Saturday After The Friday Before.

Randomness XIV - Welcoming Our Insect Overlords.

Randomness XIV - Sparking Vampire Miniatures.

Randomness XIV - Hit The Decks A Runnin', And Spin The Guns Around.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Flit said:

Any bird experts around? This morning I had a disconcerting experience. It started pretty normally with little watch doggie looking out the window next to the front door and barking. I peeked out to reasure doggie that the grass in the front yard was not about to launch a murderous attack on us when I noticed that across the street there seemed to be a turkey. On second glance it wasn't big enough to be a turkey and was solid black. Mostly it looked like a ginormous crow. On third glance I  realized it was quite interested in something against the curb across the street. On fourth glance that thing seemed to be a deceased cat and the bird was pulling it around. On fifth glance the deceased turned out to be a raccoon. At this point I was done with my observation and closed the curtain while wondering if the bird was a vulture, but it had feathers on its head and I'm not sure if vultures live in the area.

Later I left the house to run errands and saw what looked like the same bird flying over the house at this point it looked like a black hawk. We have hawks in the area but they are brown, reddish, and white.

Anyone have any idea what this thing could be? My bird identification skills don't go much further than robin, cardinal, and blue jay.

May be that giant crows have decided to take over the world.

Sounds like a raven. They are eagle-sized and happy to eat dead things.

10 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Take care of yourself, Pingo - and get better, soon!

I’ve seen a nurse and am prolly okay, although rather uncomfortable.

Made the mistake of looking at the news. I want my sane alternate reality back!

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

18 minutes ago, Flit said:

Any bird experts around? This morning I had a disconcerting experience. It started pretty normally with little watch doggie looking out the window next to the front door and barking. I peeked out to reasure doggie that the grass in the front yard was not about to launch a murderous attack on us when I noticed that across the street there seemed to be a turkey. On second glance it wasn't big enough to be a turkey and was solid black. Mostly it looked like a ginormous crow. On third glance I  realized it was quite interested in something against the curb across the street. On fourth glance that thing seemed to be a deceased cat and the bird was pulling it around. On fifth glance the deceased turned out to be a raccoon. At this point I was done with my observation and closed the curtain while wondering if the bird was a vulture, but it had feathers on its head and I'm not sure if vultures live in the area.

Later I left the house to run errands and saw what looked like the same bird flying over the house at this point it looked like a black hawk. We have hawks in the area but they are brown, reddish, and white.

Anyone have any idea what this thing could be? My bird identification skills don't go much further than robin, cardinal, and blue jay.

May be that giant crows have decided to take over the world.

Quite possibly a raven, the crow's bigger cousin.

Bigger than crows, and a lot stronger.

Scarily enough, they are also smarter than crows, and crows are pretty danged smart.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

Corvids are awesome... 

@Pingo glad that you're okay. Hope you're feeling better quickly. And yes, this timeline... shouldn't have made it past the editor's desk.

I was looking at a star trek prop auction, specifically at the drone from Arsenal Of Freedom, and its kind of amazing what they could get away with showing on TV. Mold and seam lines, glue beads, gasps... All cause we didn't have high def TVs and couldn't see the imperfections.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

I was looking at a star trek prop auction, specifically at the drone from Arsenal Of Freedom, and its kind of amazing what they could get away with showing on TV. Mold and seam lines, glue beads, gasps... All cause we didn't have high def TVs and couldn't see the imperfections.

Was that the one made from a L’eggs pantyhose container taped to a shampoo bottle?

• Like 4

Randomness XIV - THIS Is His Parachute. THAT Was A Knapsack Full Of Bowling Balls.

Randomness XIV - Is It Supposed To Be This Color?

Randomness XIV - It Goes Better With Bacon.

Randomness XIV - Because Purgatory Was Full.

9 minutes ago, Crowley said:

@PingoCorvids are awesome...

Ever tried to have a serious conversation with your girlfriend, while a crow is sitting on your head? :lol:

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

30 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Randomness XIV - Hit The Decks A Runnin', And Spin The Guns Around.

Well, now I've got the chorus of "Sink the Bismark" stuck in my head.  Thanks.

At least I can drown it out with something else when I leave work in an hour and change.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Randomness XIV - THIS Is His Parachute. THAT Was A Knapsack Full Of Bowling Balls.

Randomness XIV - Is It Supposed To Be This Color?

Randomness XIV - It Goes Better With Bacon.

Randomness XIV - Because Purgatory Was Full.

Ever tried to have a serious conversation with your girlfriend, while a crow is sitting on your head? :lol:

The Auld Grump

Randomness XIV: Ever tried to have a serious conversation with your girlfriend, while a crow is sitting on your head?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Randomness XIV: Some assembly required

Randomness XIV: Sanity optional

Randomness XIV: We've gone plaid! 

Randomness XIV: It's full of memes

Randomness XIV: Batteries not included

Huzzah!       

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I am basically Ok. Icky details behind spoiler tags.

Spoiler

So apparently I have what is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage, only more ... bulgy than is average. :unsure:

I have had wee painless spots before, but this was something larger, more balloony, and uncomfortable.

It is basically harmless and should clear up in a week or so. My eyesight is fine.

The weird thing is it just happened when I accidentally touched the corner of my eye. It didn’t even feel poky, at first.

Anyhow, all is pretty much well.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

13 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Randomness XIV: Some assembly required

Randomness XIV: Sanity optional

Randomness XIV: We've gone plaid! 

Randomness XIV: It's full of memes

Randomness XIV: Batteries not included

Huzzah!       

--OneBoot :D 

Randomness XIV: Abandon all hope, ye who enter

Randomness XIV: Things you people wouldn't believe

Randomness XIV: Drei Tage wach / Three days awake (->here's the original<- and then ->English version<- (be advised - strong language))

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The kids each very gently said “Yikes” when they saw me.

It looks way worse than it is. The ER crew (a fairly cheery bunch) pointed out this was better than the alternative.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3