Kings of War: Vanguard

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might get the "lists" in the form of entries on easyarmy, but the plan is to continue selling cards with minis. So if you want skeleton archer stats, you either find them on the internet or buy skeleton minis from Mantic. The only real "lists" that are coming are supposed to be the basic (8 entries) lists for the Uncharted Empire armies. While this is a bit of a hassle, it is just Mantic trying a different approach to encourage model sales.

7 hours ago, Unruly said:

What I'm saying is that since we don't have the full warband lists available, we don't know that skeleton archers are confined solely to Empire of Dust. When they finally give us the full lists, since the book doesn't have them, you'll most likely find skeleton archers on the Undead list as well, since they're a general troop in the regular Kings of War army list.

Also, it seems to be a misprint for the Empire of Dust skeletons to have an Ra value, seeing as they don't actually have a ranged attack listed. It is odd that the two skeletons have different Me values, with everything else the same if the Ra value is actually a misprint, for the same point cost though. Well, everything the same except for the faction specifics of Entomb, of course.

No, it just means that you need to buy them bows or crossbows - which is also why they have different stats between the two warbands.

The Undead skellies can't use a bow, even if you buy them one. But they are better in hand to hand.

The EoD skeletons can - but aren't as good in hand to hand.

Neither comes with equipment, so if you want spearskellies (skeltrons?) you need to buy them spears.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump

The EoD skeletons can - but aren't as good in hand to hand.

Dust skellies melee is 5+, Undead skellies melee is 6+. The Dust skellies are outright better in this respect. Melee value one easier, having a ranged value, and costing the same points. In what way do you think the Undead skellies are better in hand to hand combat than the superior Dust skellies? They have the same armour, wounds & nerve values. The only difference is that the Undead ones have a worse melee value.

Buying equipment is fine. It's just a shame that the skeletons in one warband are significantly worse for the same points cost.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
2 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Dust skellies melee is 5+, Undead skellies melee is 6+. The Dust skellies are outright better in this respect. Melee value one easier, having a ranged value, and costing the same points. In what way do you think the Undead skellies are better in hand to hand combat than the superior Dust skellies? They have the same armour, wounds & nerve values. The only difference is that the Undead ones have a worse melee value.

Buying equipment is fine. It's just a shame that the skeletons in one warband are significantly worse for the same points cost.

This is something I've argued against in other games when it comes to points values. I always felt that any army should pay the same value if the stats are the same. Other people felt that having different points in different armies was a way to show rarity or influence army design. I felt there were better ways of doing that.

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Really liking the resin that Mantic used for the models - in particular the Frost Giant.

The Auld Grump

Grphylx!

*bites down on the edge of iPad case*

Is it possible to go through withdrawals for something you’re still waiting for.

And waiting for...

And waiting...

:blink:

On 10/30/2018 at 9:12 AM, pinkymadigan said:

Golan has pretty big arms for his size, but I don't think that will be a good fit for conversion. The Mantic giant is twice the size of Golan.

You are correct - the arms are in fact out of scale with Golan.

But the hands are a near perfect match!

On 11/1/2018 at 2:25 AM, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Nope. Actually it's a bit worse than that.

The Empire of Dust faction gets skeletons (6 points) and skeleton archers (7 points). The Undead warband list only gets skeletons (at 6 points). To make things worse their skeletons have a different profile to the (same cost) Empire o Dust skeletons and the Undead Warband skeletons are flat out worse. The Undead skeletons are Me 6+, Ra - while the Dust skeletons are Me 5+, Ra 6+ and cost the same amount of points. The 7 point archer is blatantly just a skeleton with a bow added.

I suppose the reason for this disparity is that the Undead warband can just keep on making more of them. Given the amount of armour maybe I should just field them all as Revenants so they'll get to stick about on the table a bit longer.

Looking again, I have come to the conclusion that you are almost certainly correct, and that I was almost certainly wrong - that was a typo, and either the skellies should have a 5+ Me or the EoD skellies should be 6+ Me. (I am leaning toward the undead skellies being 5+ Me. But I could be wrong, again.) .

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Mantic has updated the free online army lists for Vanguard - including the Skeleton Archers for the Undead.

No changes or fixes to either the regular skeletons or the ones for the Empire of Dust - but the skellie archers for the Undead get a special ability that the EoD does not get.

The Auld Grump