Paint agitators

SparrowMarie

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Are you looking at 8mm beads or #8 beads?  The ones I have are about the size of #6 beads, I think, #8 would be a touch small.  8mm beads would barely fit in the bottle, so I'm thinking that's not what you meant....

I was looking at 8mm, I never bothered to pull out a ruler and check the bottles. >.< I'll look into something smaller.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Auberon said:

Like knarthex I use fishing split shot as my agitators.  They gave a good density so they are pretty effective.

I tried glass in some VGC and it does not work very well for paints that really settle out. 

I also tried some glass beads and they didn't work very well. I know hematite is heavier so I'm hoping that will do it. I also have other uses for the beads.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I also tried some glass beads and they didn't work very well. I know hematite is heavier so I'm hoping that will do it. I also have other uses for the beads.

Yeah, hematite is oxidized iron and about twice the density of glass. Hematite beads work pretty well as agitators.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

For those that put beads in their paint to help with shaking what sized beads do you use? I was looking at some 8mm hematite beads but I want to be sure I get something that won't stick in the tip.

Reaper puts glass beads in all of our Master Series Paints. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

For those that put beads in their paint to help with shaking what sized beads do you use? I was looking at some 8mm hematite beads but I want to be sure I get something that won't stick in the tip.

Thats what I use, duuno bout size but its a hematite bead

• Like 1

I ordered both 6mm & 8mm hematite beads from Amazon a couple years ago to use as agitators. They both fit fine in Reaper bottles, but I prefer the 6mm ones. They're plenty heavy and actually move easier in thicker paint than the 8mm ones. The difference is so noticeable that when I ran out of the 6mm, I ordered another pack, even though I still have plenty 8mm beads left. 

• Like 3