Akito from Neko Galaxy -bust

Hello guys!

I am coming back to the forums with this piece, which is part-promise, part-"break piece" from comissions and gaming pieces at the moment.

It is the first bust from Neko Galaxy, the amazing Akito.

Here you can see it already primed. First black, then a bit of white, finally white with a dash of SC75 Tenere Yellow. Black and White where SC75 primers; all painting so far through my airbrush.

C&C welcomed as always.

22853335_10214924114236249_9173189762160

22853043_10214924114636259_1132027734495

22886153_10214924114996268_3609110374649

As you can see, lighting focus will be from the up-left area. Special attention was paid to develop a good pair of "attention grabbing triangles", Right Fist - Head - Left Elbow and then Right Shoulder - Left Boob - Sword Hilt. The second triangle will probably be more subdued, let's see when I start applying color.

• Like 15
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ub3r, CS and Sanael. I have been painting quite a bit, just not posting here... only reading you guys.

24 minutes ago, Clearman said:

What parts did you apply the white/yellow mix?  Was that in the attention grabbing triangles?  Hard to tell from the pic. 

All the final highlights (last two steps, so a light grey and then the almost-white) got the yellow tint. Yes, it is hard to tell, and that is the sense, specially under the lamps and their own tinting.

It is more evident in the last final almost-white yellow tinted of the triangle points. I can see a bit of the yellow on the forehead / top of the head hair, the fist, the boob, the shoulder plate, the elbow.

I don't typically bother with this because the whole thing will be mostly covered, but for my own "color sense", I feel a pure black-white graduation is very artificial. A hint of color, even if barely noticeable, makes it more alive and sets the tone to follow for me. If I wanted to shift my perception to a cold scene, I would've used blue... if I wanted to make it more humid, a green-blue, etc.

• Like 3

I started slowly galzing the skin, and everything was going ok...

IMG_20171104_145418.thumb.jpg.bd35b025ff0a7a6b41fb0edcd17fd37b.jpg

Until I decided to go sketch style on her and finished with this, which I honestly hate.

IMG_20171105_171458.thumb.jpg.5881bc25d02353e2e5e05330d1441165.jpgIMG_20171105_171501.thumb.jpg.f639971dc137fa6d09eb54d6b052b9ba.jpg

So she is going to the clean bath for a do over. Lesson learnt, I guess... doint smooth skin on such a large surface is haaaaard. I could keep smoothing it over but I don't like the roughness of the surface already.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
9 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

I really love the outcome of the face, but I understand when you are not happy with it. I often have got the same feeling. I keep my fingers crossed that you are happier with your second try!

Yeah, I cross-posted this into the FB group we have from Roman Lappat's classes, and they were saying that the problem is I need to let it grow a bit (that I should also grow  a pair and refine it more, don't give up on it so easily). The face is starting to grow on me after looking real hard at the pics; it is going in the right direction, something I can refine with tints and coloring, correct some details, soften the shadows, eyelids, etc.

The abs are crap and I need to go back to smooth color and softer transitions, and the arms have this issue as well. But Roman was saying to stick with it for a while, and I think this is also a lesson learnt... if I dump her into cleaner I will focus on some other pieces with priority and perhaps don't come back to her in months so... 

Busts are hard. Soft girl skin is even harder!

Edited by Willen

I really love what you have on the face...the abs, you're right, are not as good, but I am also certain you have solved harder problems without stripping a mini! This is something I onow you can fix.

Just went back and looked again, I think the work on her eyes and lips is amazing, would really be a shame to lose that.

Some questions about the mini: my Google-fu is only turning up a facebook page, is that the only way to order from this company? Or are they available via CMON or similar? Since I do not have a presence on Facebook, this was sad to me...

And totally unrelated to the bust, you have a drink bottle in the background of your workbench that is a very cool shape; what drink is that? (Looks like some kind of apricot or peach, maybe? Blue bottle, orange fruits)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I really love what you have on the face...the abs, you're right, are not as good, but I am also certain you have solved harder problems without stripping a mini! This is something I onow you can fix.

Just went back and looked again, I think the work on her eyes and lips is amazing, would really be a shame to lose that.

Thanks... I really like the lips too. 

Some questions about the mini: my Google-fu is only turning up a facebook page, is that the only way to order from this company? Or are they available via CMON or similar? Since I do not have a presence on Facebook, this was sad to me...

He is a one-man operation selling only from FB but I will PM you Piotr email, so you can contact him. He is a very nice guy turning out interesting things, two busts now (and he hyped me about the third one!). He works through PayPal so you should have no problem getting Akito for yourself.

And totally unrelated to the bust, you have a drink bottle in the background of your workbench that is a very cool shape; what drink is that? (Looks like some kind of apricot or peach, maybe? Blue bottle, orange fruits)

Oh, that is a glass jam container, we eat quite a lot of jam here and these ones are perfect as water holders for me. A little bit taller than a cup, good volume; I typically strip the outside shrink wrap (the blue thing you see, and yes, it was apricot jam) and since it is all glass is very easy to clean and to see when your water is beyond dirty. And they are just a waste so I replace them quite often too...

FLIA+LC+BAJA.jpg

The shape is also nice and because the lid is metal, and most of my minis are magnetized, I also sometimes use them as big holders for 40mm+ based minis, specially for priming outside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1