Thunderbolt Mountain is closing its webstore on Dec 25

odinsgrandson

I just found out today that Thunderbolt Mountain (Tom Meier's miniatures line) is planning to close its webstore and stop taking orders on December 25th.

This isn't to say that Tom is "going out of business."  More likely, Thunderbolt Mountain doesn't sell as well as Tom's work outside of his own company (he is responsible for a lot of brilliant sculpts in the Dark Sword line, as well as other lines and many toys).  He told me once that he really loves sculpting, but doesn't care so much for casting miniatures (which he does only for TBM).

Part of me is really hoping that Jim Ludwig takes up the line and continues to produce them through Dark Sword.

For context, Tom is the sculptor who discovered Green Stuff.  He defined the Ral Partha line, and even worked for a stint at early days Games Workshop.  He is responsible for many of the very best faces sculpted in green stuff, and his anatomy and detail is precise enough to make people think the photos of the greens must be of much larger minis.

The Thunderbolt Mountain line includes some really dashing minis- my favorites are the Noraland Fairies, the Slug-Eat-Your-Face and the Bushwoolies.

Edited by OneBoot
Removed commerce link
  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His sculpts are exquisite.  They were some of the first ones I painted when I came back to the hobby. I have some of his “30mm” wood elves (if so, they are slighter than humans) and they have realistic proportions and faces.

Here are some images of Thunderbolt Mountain figures from my list of attachments:

post-8022-0-70657800-1364137657.jpg

post-8022-0-42651300-1364223730.jpgpost-8022-0-40561400-1364223723.jpgpost-8022-0-46737800-1367525816.jpgpost-8022-0-08353300-1452964086.jpgpost-8022-0-05800000-1452964939.jpgpost-8022-0-31893500-1452964976.jpgpost-8022-0-62599100-1452965008.jpgpost-8022-0-52214000-1452965041.jpgpost-8022-0-18420900-1464557645.jpgpost-8022-0-16159300-1464723488.jpgpost-8022-0-48995800-1464723473.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I need to get the screaming slug, the furry mouths, and the ninja cannonball set. Does he still sell Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus? His looked like they were straight from a renaissance painting.

That's where the screaming slug came from?

We need to get another fast. ::(:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I need to get the screaming slug, the furry mouths, and the ninja cannonball set. Does he still sell Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus? His looked like they were straight from a renaissance painting.

I looked through the store and didn't see them...  It's a shame, I would have liked to have a slightly different set from the Reaper one so that I don't have to paint the same exact mini multiple times.  

I've had my eye on those elves, I might have to pick them up while I still can.  

• Like 1

I would love to see some of the older TBM miniatures come back at Darksword - the Swan Ship, the dragons, Kings of the North.

He did some wonderful miniatures, but I gather that he hated being his own caster. (Which may go back a ways - back when Ral Partha was young, they did not realize that the cat had used the sand as a litter box, and thought that the horrible stench when they heated the molds was part of the process....)

I'd link to the story, but it looks like the site is long gone.

The Auld Grump

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 11/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, Rob Dean said:

So I have until Christmas, I guess, to decide whether I want to break into King Arthur adventures in a big way.  With no guarantee that any more will be available, I'd have to order everything I might want all at once. :huh:

I did and they are fantastic. I plan to build a round table for the standing knights. Not sure about the mounted ones and the rest of the figures, but I will enjoy figuring it out. 

• Like 3

Thank you for the heads-up!

I ordered:

The three Bushwoolies, because they look a lot like Fizgig from The Dark Crystal :wub: 

Slug Eat Your Face because I've seen it around and it's such a funny sculpt

Human Knight because he looks like he could be a cousin of Sir Forscale

and from the King Arthur line I chose Morgan le Fay, because she looked like the most fun to paint.

I decided I would allow myself to choose only ONE of the King Arthur minis, since if I didn't limit myself I'd want all of them.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8