Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
*blows a thick layer of dust off of her tiny corner of the WIP section*
Wow, it's been...way too long since I last posted a project here!
So, this is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head since Argent was announced, and I've finally gotten around to putting it into action. This is just for fun, and unless it turns out unexpectedly amazing, I don't plan to enter him at ReaperCon, which makes him just right for easing me back into regular painting!
My original idea was this: I discovered a paint pen that holds the EPITOME OF SHINY CHROME DELICIOUSNESS (search for Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker if you too want to revel in the glorious shiny) (also a shoutout to @LordDave for introducing me to this loveliness!). I already HAVE a shiny metallic dragon in my Ma'al drakar, and I couldn't have two all-metallic gigantic dragons in one household. It would just lead to bickering and drama about who's the favorite and oh-she-smudged-my-scales oh-no-I-didn't-he-started-it and honestly who even needs that? SO I wanted to experiment with painting Argent up using regular paints, then using the paint pen just on select scales and edges as a highlight.
In my head it looks FREAKING AWESOME. Buuuut since there's a lot of unknowns about this pen and how well reality will conform to my vision...
First up, I tried my original plan of regular paint with chrome on the edges of stuff. I slopped these paints:
onto part of a spare Bones Battleguard Golem, since these are some of the colors I'm planning to use on Argent (haven't fully settled on my color scheme for him, but that'll come later). I forgot to take pictures of that part, so you'll just have to use your imagination!
Next, I used the chrome pen to try a few things; outlining armor segments, dot highlights, thicker vs. thinner lines, etc. And...none of them actually looked all that good. The chrome is just so very distractingly shiny compared to the matte paint that it just looks...bad. But that's okay! This is what doing science is all about: trying lots of things and seeing what works! (Also known as "throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks" but I thought that might get kind of messy in this context)
So, next I tried chroming an entire shoulder section and glazing some of the Clear Phthalo Blue over the top.
(sorry for the blurry pictures, I may have been quivering from excitement )
(also ignore the random bits of gold, those are from a previous unrelated experiment)
This looked...much more promising! Huzzah!
Which brings me both to the next phase of testing, and my next post because this one has gotten long enough!
This is going to be one of the most ambitious projects I've ever attempted, so I thought making a WIP thread would be a good idea. If everything goes well, I plan to enter this beastie at ReaperCon this year, so fingers crossed!
This is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for awhile, and started gathering materials for it last year.
My plan is to take this lovely critter:
and rather than using the shipwreck as a base, use half of one of these:
and paint the Kraken to look all spacey and such.
So! To that end, I now have one of these!
I'll just be using the top half for the base, though:
Which means that the bottom hemisphere is available for...testing.
The challenge complete! I present Kai, the Strawberry Dragon!
Thank you all for the challenge and the feedback!
I, Echoside, will be undergoing this awesome challenge as my Dragon and paints have arrived from Denton.
I have chosen the victim of Kyphrixis, The Copper Dragon for this 3-star challenge. Will be using green and red liner to prime.
So after his bath, it was picture time!
I think he will end up being a Strawberry Dragon!
First off, I sorry for the Cut/Paste first post, but it was fitting.
Secondly, Kai (the moniker I've given to him) got himself primed up and ready for more layers while out at a miniature painting event at a local gaming store. Such a splendid way to start the challenge.
I bathed the base unit in Sepia Liner, as I don't believe the base was to be done strictly in the color scheme of the dragons. Kai himself was bathed in the Red liner, which is very purple if you ask my eyes. The wing membranes were done in the Green Liner. I'm hoping for some interesting undershading effects once the 3 primary colors start to roll on.
I've blocked out in my head what scales are going to be which shades and such, I'm just hoping I have the skills to bring whats in my head out on the dragon himself. But without further ado, picture time!
This is my first post here! I have been encouraged for a while to join the forums and share some of the mini's that I have painted. I have been painting for many years dabbling in many styles and mediums. I've gotten more serious about my mini work the last couple years though.
I was hesitant to share my work, but figured, "What the heck! Why not!"
I decided to start with this model as it is one of my favorites to paint and I just love glitter, man!
I painted this up for my first con last fall and it was actually purchased by my bestie, he then requested I add the glitter (to match another halfling mini I did for him.)
This is now his alternate ego character (he is the DM lol), which in his campaign ge had only revealed himself to be a helpful travelling halfling wizard until this guy was done. Then it was revealed he was a celestial dragon all along and the main adversary...or something like that lol!
Please be honest and feel free to C&C! Ultimately I know the owner loves it, but I would love to see what others think!!
And thanks for welcoming me into this community!
Oh, and as I am sure you guessed, I did get the Bones 3 Kickstarter so, please feel free to request I share any other minis I might have painted already or will paint :)
Who's Online 24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)