Cyradis

Grumpy Dude = Happy Cleric?

My D&D group's cleric is a follower of Chauntea, a plant goddess. He wields a scythe. He's also incredibly short for a human. He's absurdly chipper. He's the city's marijuana grower and distributor. 

For some reason, the player picked this figure, one of the townsfolk, to represent his character. I don't like this figure. Player stated that I could do low detail on him. I'm not sure there is a sufficient paint job to give him a cheerful face. 

C&C as I go is welcome. He isn't going to be one I super nitpick but I'd like him to be generally tidy. Might attempt OSL for practice. 

Oh bother. I thought I was in the WIP forums. Serves me right for doing this on the phone. Mod help pretty please? 

15098410549201877416259.jpg

1509841072515794900802.jpg

Edited by Cyradis
Oops
  • Like 15

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Oh bother. I thought I was in the WIP forums. Serves me right for doing this on the phone. Mod help pretty please? 

*waves magic ModBoot* ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

He’s off to a great start.

May I suggest, if you want to make him look more cheery, that you slightly lid his eyes and paint illusionistic “smile lines” from his nose to his mouth corners.

Smile lines curve out as if following the shadow of a happy, bulging cheek.  They then turn at or near the corners of the mouth.  Hang on, I’ll find an example.

Okay, um, here.

Smile-14.jpg

I have painted things like this to soften facial expressions on blank or stern figures. Sometimes I add dimples too. ::P:

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Right now, the muscles on the lower part of his mouth are bunched up because they're pulling his mouth down into sort of a growling expression, and the left side of his upper lip is protruding because it's pulled up into a sneer. You can change that by using paint to make it look like they're not doing that - ignore the topography of his face and use highlights and shadows to paint on the expression you want him to have.

One other thing you can do to make him look less angry in addition to painting in laugh lines as Pingo suggested is take some unthinned paint and put a heavy dab of it near the corners of his mouth on his lower lip, using it as a structural material to fill in and smooth out the parts on the sides where it turns down. The open mouth will look more triangular, more like a smile. Then extend the shadow under the center of his lower lip out further towards the sides a bit to play down the bunched-up muscles just above his chin.
Just paint the line of his upper lip identically on both sides, either with both sides turned up, or so the line of the lip just goes straight across from one side to the other.

Then add in the laugh lines. It should look like a passable approximation of a smile.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have much to say on making him look like he's smiling but I really like the blue shawl thing.  Very nice shading and highlighting! 

May I ask what colors you used?

4 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

I don't have much to say on making him look like he's smiling but I really like the blue shawl thing.  Very nice shading and highlighting! 

May I ask what colors you used?

Heather blue base. Heather blue + pure white highlight. Worn navy and nightmare black for shadows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not having much luck with the smile lines. Will poke it more later. Head amd kidney aches kinda distracting. Shaded the pants and shirt. Could do more. Probably won't do a ton more though; I simply don't like this figure much and I want to go play with something else soon. 

20171108_203615.jpg

20171108_203620.jpg

• Like 9

I think you've improved the look on his face already, but rather than trying to paint in the folds from the nose to the mouth, which could also just make him look old, I would just go for curving his mouth into a smirk by using your shade colour to line under the lip and extend it into a curve, then an additional much smaller curved line to imply a dimple.

smile.jpg.166e209a705bfdb0cb82df7b866aa7de.jpg

I did it quickly in paint and in black so it would show up but hopefully you see what I mean.

The blue is very lovely, but the stand out to me is that tan/cream colour, it's really beautiful, you've really shaded and highlighted it wonderfully.

I feel you on not liking the figure and thus not feeling inspired to bother that much with him. When you feel that way with a figure, you're just never going to be happy with how he turns out. So I think it's very smart of you to just push through and get him done and move on to happier painting! ^_^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Guindyloo! I will try some of these suggestions tomorrow. The tan is the khaki triad with kinda darklining/brown wash in deep cracks. I didn't mix the shadow with a red like I did on the detective; it is more basic, but went well. 

• Like 1

More progress. Not too shabby for what I am considering a tabletop piece. I don't like the figure but I get to practice some techniques. 

20171111_160042.jpg

20171111_160045.jpg

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Paradoxical Mouse
      I've decided I need to get better about finishing things. And at speed painting. 

So. Enter my May painting challenge. For every day in May, I am going to paint a townsfolk mini from Bones 4 from start to finish. These minis will be painted to at least a tabletop+ standard but getting to a display standard is the goal.

I only have 28 minis I count as townsfolk from Bones 4,  though...which means the last 3 will be adventurers (1 of which is not Bones 4) for my players and my Starfinder character.

And so, we begin with day 1.
      Today's mini is:

The milk maid! I really wish Bones 4 minis photographed as good as they look.

Here I go!
    • By boldfont
      I went canon with this. No airbrush. It’s a great sculpt. Really it’s too bad Reaper would have to make a knock off version because of the IP. I bet they’d make a great remorhaz. 

• By jay_dmloot
      I've been playing D&D for over a decade now, and while there are a lot of great terrain solutions for dungeon crawls, I always felt there wasn't a great option when it came to generic random encounters, like setting up camp for the night.

As a player, and a DM these random encounters often lacked meaning because they didn't have the same customization as encounters core to the campaign. So I decided to come up with a solution that was simple for a DM, and that made the encounter more meaningful for the player.

I made a 36” by 24” iron rubber base on which you can layer smaller magnetic terrain. For a DM It takes second to throw some trees, rocks, and other terrain down to make the scenario unique. Then your players can quickly arrange their tents, wagons and other equipment in thoughtful ways that make random encounters more meaningful.

There is 44 pieces of double sided magnetic terrain, so you can run pretty much any random encounter in the wilderness that you can think of.

If this sounds like something you'd use check out the kickstarter for more information.

http://kck.st/2UiDByd

I love feedback so please let me know what you think of the product. I designed it how I would want to use it, so if you feel like something's lacking, or should be changes Id like to know.

<mod> Full link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmloot/dmloot?ref=project_link
    • By Paradoxical Mouse
      After the response to my other post, I figured I could post my campaign here. I'm gonna be using spoiler tags for DM notes, just in case people want to follow along. 

Characters:
      Red Sash - Warforged Paladin. Currently trying to earn money for the Cyran refugees. Was a medic during the war and is still not sure exactly what to do now that it is over.
      Son of Bork - Warforged Barbarian. If you want to know his backstory, see here. Warning: untagged spoilers in link.
      Thicket - Shifter Rogue. Currently over his head in gambling debt to Draask. 
      Lell - Gnome Warlock. Member of the Trust of Zilargo. 

Session 1:

Sul, Zarantyr 1, 998YK - King of Fire Tavern, Middle Dura, Sharn, City of Towers, Breland
       Opening Scene (as written):

Thicket manages to win his hand - thanks to a little cheating - and goes over to join those betting on the arm wrestling competition. Meanwhile, Red Sash convinces the girls to give a donation be helping them complete the clockwork dragon they were making by touching an out of place gear and popping it into place. Having received the donations, he asks for their names. The brunette gives the name Kara, while the red-head is named Ashley. Red Sash writes down their names and also moves to watch the competition, hoping for donations from the betting parties. Son of Bork manages to win his match. Having won, he picks up a stein of beer from a table (that was definitely not his) and drinks. Thicket attempts to - unsuccessfully - pick a pocket, while his cards competitor manages to pick Lell's pocket. Son of Bork finishes his glass and sees a shield with the Crest of House Ghallanda and takes it down from the wall to take a bite from that. The tavern goes silent, and the bartender threatens Son of Bork into putting the shield back. Lell receives a sheet of paper telling him to investigate the suspicious individual - the warforged. He moves forward and introduces himself to Son of Bork. Instantly upon noticing Lell, Son of Bork picks him up, affectionately calling him "Hornswaggle"...

Suddenly, a fire breaks out and there are patrons running about. The elf at the bar sneaks out the back, and Lell gives chase with Son of Bork quickly giving chase after Lell. Thicket, not wanting to be involved in the fire, rushes out of the back of the bar as quickly as he can. Red Sash, meanwhile, attempts to save a patron surrounded by fire by walking directly through the fire.

Thicket runs into a man he'd been caught cheating against - a muscular dwarven fellow by the name of Kiel Tarvernworth and promptly turns around, catching up to Lell in the process, as Son of Bork had managed to catch Lell and pick him up (again). The two make a deal, and Thicket shifts to catch the elven fellow while Lell negotiates with Kiel, convincing him to wait for them later by giving him a 1 Galifar (gold) down payment on Thicket's debt to the man. Thicket manages to catch the elf, and Lell interrogates him only to find out he was only a guest lecturer at the university and didn't want to get caught up in the fire. They let the elven man go. 

Meanwhile, Red Sash fails to convince the man to let him save him, and the patron blinks away quickly. Frustrated, Red Sash starts to gather volunteers to put out the fire and aid the tavern. Lell, Son of Bork, and Thicket also help with relocating the stock in return for the promise of coin. The fire out, the group goes their separate ways. 

(Zarantyr 2 coming tonight)
      Thoughts/comments appreciated! I have no IRL dm friends to talk to about this campaign...
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 88 Guests (See full list)