Sign in to follow this  
Cyradis

Grumpy Dude = Happy Cleric?

My D&D group's cleric is a follower of Chauntea, a plant goddess. He wields a scythe. He's also incredibly short for a human. He's absurdly chipper. He's the city's marijuana grower and distributor. 

For some reason, the player picked this figure, one of the townsfolk, to represent his character. I don't like this figure. Player stated that I could do low detail on him. I'm not sure there is a sufficient paint job to give him a cheerful face. 

C&C as I go is welcome. He isn't going to be one I super nitpick but I'd like him to be generally tidy. Might attempt OSL for practice. 

Oh bother. I thought I was in the WIP forums. Serves me right for doing this on the phone. Mod help pretty please? 

15098410549201877416259.jpg

1509841072515794900802.jpg

Edited by Cyradis
Oops
  • Like 15

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Oh bother. I thought I was in the WIP forums. Serves me right for doing this on the phone. Mod help pretty please? 

*waves magic ModBoot* ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

He’s off to a great start.

May I suggest, if you want to make him look more cheery, that you slightly lid his eyes and paint illusionistic “smile lines” from his nose to his mouth corners.

Smile lines curve out as if following the shadow of a happy, bulging cheek.  They then turn at or near the corners of the mouth.  Hang on, I’ll find an example.

Okay, um, here.

Smile-14.jpg

I have painted things like this to soften facial expressions on blank or stern figures. Sometimes I add dimples too. ::P:

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Right now, the muscles on the lower part of his mouth are bunched up because they're pulling his mouth down into sort of a growling expression, and the left side of his upper lip is protruding because it's pulled up into a sneer. You can change that by using paint to make it look like they're not doing that - ignore the topography of his face and use highlights and shadows to paint on the expression you want him to have.

One other thing you can do to make him look less angry in addition to painting in laugh lines as Pingo suggested is take some unthinned paint and put a heavy dab of it near the corners of his mouth on his lower lip, using it as a structural material to fill in and smooth out the parts on the sides where it turns down. The open mouth will look more triangular, more like a smile. Then extend the shadow under the center of his lower lip out further towards the sides a bit to play down the bunched-up muscles just above his chin.
Just paint the line of his upper lip identically on both sides, either with both sides turned up, or so the line of the lip just goes straight across from one side to the other.

Then add in the laugh lines. It should look like a passable approximation of a smile.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have much to say on making him look like he's smiling but I really like the blue shawl thing.  Very nice shading and highlighting! 

May I ask what colors you used?

4 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

I don't have much to say on making him look like he's smiling but I really like the blue shawl thing.  Very nice shading and highlighting! 

May I ask what colors you used?

Heather blue base. Heather blue + pure white highlight. Worn navy and nightmare black for shadows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not having much luck with the smile lines. Will poke it more later. Head amd kidney aches kinda distracting. Shaded the pants and shirt. Could do more. Probably won't do a ton more though; I simply don't like this figure much and I want to go play with something else soon. 

20171108_203615.jpg

20171108_203620.jpg

• Like 9

I think you've improved the look on his face already, but rather than trying to paint in the folds from the nose to the mouth, which could also just make him look old, I would just go for curving his mouth into a smirk by using your shade colour to line under the lip and extend it into a curve, then an additional much smaller curved line to imply a dimple.

smile.jpg.166e209a705bfdb0cb82df7b866aa7de.jpg

I did it quickly in paint and in black so it would show up but hopefully you see what I mean.

The blue is very lovely, but the stand out to me is that tan/cream colour, it's really beautiful, you've really shaded and highlighted it wonderfully.

I feel you on not liking the figure and thus not feeling inspired to bother that much with him. When you feel that way with a figure, you're just never going to be happy with how he turns out. So I think it's very smart of you to just push through and get him done and move on to happier painting! ^_^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Guindyloo! I will try some of these suggestions tomorrow. The tan is the khaki triad with kinda darklining/brown wash in deep cracks. I didn't mix the shadow with a red like I did on the detective; it is more basic, but went well. 

• Like 1

More progress. Not too shabby for what I am considering a tabletop piece. I don't like the figure but I get to practice some techniques. 

20171111_160042.jpg

20171111_160045.jpg

• Like 5