Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Lord of the Dish Pit
For the better part of this year, I've been going through something of a creative funk and it's been driving me a bit mad. (well more than usual anyway) So after thinking upon it for awhile, and taking the advice of the opening track of White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000, (Perhaps you'd better start at the beginning...) I've decided to embrace the madness....
By the power vested in me by the Great Pumpkin I hereby declare it to be 1996. The world is a saner place and I've just gotten my mitts on the first minis that weren't part of a boxed set or boardgame and soon shall rise a mighty skeletal horde. (To those of you who may not have been alive in '96, fret not I have decided that you exist. Ia! Ia! Ingenti Cucurbia!)
Anyway, first up are these guys.
A Heartbreaker Miniatures Army Pack that I think might be Phil Lewis sculpts. Like all of my older metal Undead, they were given a bath in Simple Green awhile back. The original Undead army had been repainted several times over the years, not yet knowing about the wonders of the Green, they had several rather thick layers on them from this. So the decision to restart from a clean slate on the whole lot was quite easy.
An Armorcast Ruined Mausoleum. Also painted several times, but I'm leery as to how the Green would react with the resin. But even with the new black undercoat, the detail isn't obscured that I can see. Now to find my Painting Flannel Of Necromancy...
I think I have got the right mini name. He or she is from Fan Favourites. Painted simply, Scale 75 black metal, then a wash, then drybrush with Army Painter rough iron/rust colour. Tried to do a water effect on the base, layers of gloss mod podge with green ink and bits of wood from a log bag in the middle.
Enjoyed painting these and adding a bog effect to the base. A tan primer, brown wash, metal in rusted iron, clothes in Army Painter Griffin Blue, then a mixed green and brown Army Painter wash over the whole thing. Water effects base in usual way, gloss mod podge over paint, log bag sweepings, tufts.
Well, I managed to fight my way back into hobbying...at least a little bit. The wraiths were some of the minis I was anxious to get at, so I wasted no time.
I thought about doing the expected (black and grey), but that left me uninspired. So I thought about ROY-G-BV-ing them. But I didn't have any OYs that I thought would be appropriate. So I just muddled my way through.
My apologies to Bob Ridolfi, your sculpts are wonderful and deserve better than what I can throw on them.
The new wood paints were brought out to work the haft.
Muddy Soil served as the base for Bloodstain Red and Clotted Red
Nightmare Black followed by Carbon Grey and Glacier Mist. This was a little too close to the Blue Greys triad, I was hoping for something further off.
The robes were started with Coal Black, and then hit with Peacock Green. Brilliant Green finished them. The tabard was started with Pure Black, followed with Stormy Grey, and then finished with Cloudy Grey.
The robes were started with Pure Black, then followed up with Dark Elf Shadow and Dark Elf Skin. This is one of my favorite combinations.
I love the Blue Greys triad. Midnight Blue, Twilight Blue, and then a 50/50 mix of Twilight Blue and Snow Shadow. I think this is my favorite.
I wanted a monument reminiscent of marble, so I started with Leather White, Pure White, and finished with Sparkling Snow.
The robes were done with Regal Purple, Monarch Purple, and Royal Purple. The difference is a little more obvious in person, but I was having troubles with the camera.
Who's Online 9 Members, 2 Anonymous, 151 Guests (See full list)