Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Absolutely gorgeous giant wolves from Tom Meier / Thunderbolt Mountain

Awesome!  I am a sucker for a Tom Meier sculpt.  I think I like these sculpts even more then the direwolves he sculpted for Dark Sword's George R. R. Martin Masterworks line. 

I actually had to double-check for my own peace of mind, to ensure these are not those same sculpts.  Nope.  These definitely appear to be different wolves.  I guess it's partly the Meier factor and partly just because with the colours you used, they could easily pass for Grey Wind, Ghost, and Summer...  ::D:

Amazing paint work on these, I love 'em!

Kang

• Like 3

Oh wow they are gorgeous! I love the colour schemes you went with too! The details in the eyes are a lovely touch.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      Coincidentally, I had this figure very nearly done two days ago when the sad news of Diana Rigg’s passing was made public.

It always was a tribute to her incandescent portrayal of Emma Peel in the old British TV show “The Avengers”, but now it’s a memorial as well. Requiescas in pacem, Ms. Rigg.

The figure is “Pandora King (Classic)” from Crooked Dice miniatures. Crooked Dice has a minis game based on cult TV and they’ve produced a lot of different figures suitable for that sort of storytelling.

• By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning Reapermaniacs,

So here's one I've had painted for about a week or so but have never just gotten around to sit down at my normal computer to post him.

This one is one I've actually had for a long time, and it's an old lead version back from the seventies.  I had to at one point I think scrape off some paint. I had another newer version of him, but the detail was pretty soft so ended up painting up the original, whose details were so much more nice and crisp.

And being he was a "high" elf, I wanted him to have some nice light colors, no greens and browns.

Anyhoos, here he is:

I've been on a recent kick painting these older miniatures, even old by Partha standards (pre-eighties).  I think I'm going to keep painting them, putting them into my normal mix of newer, old Partha figures.  In any case, hope you like them!

• By 72moonglum
      Morning everybody!
      So just finished this one up and got photos edited.  I've had this figure for a while now, just finally getting time to paint it, he's Ral Partha, Wizard from Ral Partha's Personalities and Things that Go Bump in the Night series.  One of the first miniatures of that series, and this might be the second version.  There was another version with a shorter hanging cloak, and then one was done many years later, where you are able to easily see Tom Meier's progress over the years.  This was sculpted in the seventies, in the infancy of Ral Partha. It's a fun miniature and this is just a huge and heavy chunk of lead.

and then kind of little close up of his tomes:

and this figure oddly enough at one point came in a gold plated version as some sort of prize.  No idea why I have it, I think it came from when my brother was working at Star Realm, our local game shop.  Sadly, as I was bringing him upstairs to photograph, he did a nose dive onto my basement, concrete floor and got a piece of his gold plating knocked off around his hat:

Beyond that he has certainly seen better days with rust/mold or whatever happens to gold plating after 40 years or so.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this little look into miniatures history!

Mark
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi Reapertronics!

So these are two I've been working on for the last week or so, two really small Tom Meier sculpts from Dark Sword Miniatures, ones from another post on the forum where I was complaining about eyes. Two really fun figures I think, excellently sculpted by Meier. Here's the first one:

and a few shots of her face up close.  The eyes aren't perfect, but they turned out better than the first try before my repaint:

and then here's the male halfling thief. He's nice and basic, with a classic old school feel. He almost gives a Bilbo Baggins type of feel to this is you ask me:

and then here they are together:

and to give you an idea of their size, I put them next to a few recent reaper models, a few of my favorites, the female hobgoblin archer (metal version with nose) and the other one is one of the dark gnome gals:

So anyhoos, lots of photos, hope you enjoy!

• Who's Online   7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)