Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

15 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Ah, I could believe this is true for USA, but when you include what spiders, snakes and other scary beasties get up to in Australia I should think deer are a long way down the world lethality list. 

And the meme does not say one way or the other if it is whole world, North America, English Speaking Countries...

...thing is Canada, Russia, Finland could contribute all sorts of collision incidents with various quadrupeds to a World List without adding much to the bee/scorpion/spider/snake categories.

Canada might have rattlesnakes. 

:upside: 

But then Africa, Brazil, Arabia ...utterly infested with scorpions. 

• Like 3

It's strange, but car design has a lot to say about surviving a hit with an animal.    

The Datsun 180Y, for example... In 'moose crash tests' (hitting a bundle of thick ropes and wires suspended above the road so that it simulates a moose body)  the hood would break loose from the hinges and move horisontally straight through the front window and the neck of anyone sitting in the front seats...     

The Mercedes A series actually flipped over when they did the 'moose maneuver' (sharp left to get into the other lane, pass the moose, then sharp right back into the original lane... ) in 1997...   

As for the US cars... Here's a classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ538H_KZCI

(Thats at 60Km/h .. about 37mph )

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 8

According to the Michigan State Police, in 2017 there were 50,949 vehicle accidents involving deer, 11,000 human injuries but only 16 human fatalities. No data on the injuries/fatalities to the deer. No mention if it was the human or the deer driving, either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I do know that in sub-saharan Africa that more fatalities are caused by Hippopotami than any other large animal. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TGP said:

And the meme does not say one way or the other if it is whole world, North America, English Speaking Countries...

...thing is Canada, Russia, Finland could contribute all sorts of collision incidents with various quadrupeds to a World List without adding much to the bee/scorpion/spider/snake categories.

Canada might have rattlesnakes. 

:upside: 

But then Africa, Brazil, Arabia ...utterly infested with scorpions. 

Ohhh, we have rattlesnakes, trust me on that.  Most are smart and stick to the badlands areas though, where it's, y'know, desert and warm.  The only ones up here are in climate controlled cages/enclosures, more than likely in zoos.

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

It's strange, but car design has a lot to say about surviving a hit with an animal.    

The Datsun 180Y, for example... In 'moose crash tests' (hitting a bundle of thick ropes and wires suspended above the road so that it simulates a moose body)  the hood would break loose from the hinges and move horisontally straight through the front window and the neck of anyone sitting in the front seats...     

The Mercedes A series actually flipped over when they did the 'moose maneuver' (sharp left to get into the other lane, pass the moose, then sharp right back into the original lane... ) in 1997...   

As for the US cars... Here's a classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ538H_KZCI

(Thats at 60Km/h .. about 37mph )

And then there's the 1992 Toyota Corolla sedan....  Ohhh, you're a moose?  Yeah, you left GIGANTIC BUTT PRINTS in the shattered windshield, and took out the passenger side mirror... *crack pop* Oh, you thought you could dent my roof?  *more metallic cracks, pops, and tinks*  Yeah, those noises are me FIXING MYSELF.  Not kidding about those noises, we actually watched some of the dents fix themselves....  And that was probably at about 90kph or so, because the moose only made about three ta-thump kinda noises along the vehicle (first set was front of vehicle, second was hood, third was roof... don't think it hit the trunk).

We got lucky though, plenty of others wind up with a lap full of panicking moose, which never ends well.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, paintybeard said:

I do know that in sub-saharan Africa that more fatalities are caused by Hippopotami than any other large animal. 

In the Netherlands the common Cow causes the most injuries and deaths.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

According to this article:

https://www.sciencealert.com/what-are-the-worlds-15-deadliest-animals/amp

mosquitos kill the most humans per year, world wide. Snakes are actually pretty high up the list too.

Mosquitos don't deserve to die a fiery death.  It has to be something even more gratifying to those who've suffered under them for countless years, and preferably be a nice show. 

... So I guess I want a bonfire then, because marshmallows at a bonfire at tastier than regular campfire marshmallows.  Can't really think of anything that would work without causing serious environmental after-effects.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I have a tennis-racket style big zapper.  We discovered that half a peach had been left in one of the living room garbage cans.

I held the zapper, powered, over the top of the can and thumped it.  The resulting staccato apocalypse was immensely satisfying. 

Edited by Froggy the Great
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

For a whole generation of dinosaur fans, nothing sets their teeth on edge more than the word “brontosaurus.” It’s been known since 1903 that the man who discovered the thunder lizard, O.C. Marsh, was simply misidentifying some old Apatosaurus bones. Thanks to his clumsy mistake (plus Stephen Spielberg), schoolkids are today enamored with a dinosaur that never existed.

At least, they were until April 2015, when scientists decided Brontosaurus really did exist after all.

In a 300-page study, researchers from the New University of Lisbon in Portugal analyzed over 81 different sauropod bones and concluded there were enough differences for Brontosaurus to count as a different species. Although nearly identical to the Apatosaurus, it had a slightly narrower and higher neck. This small difference was varied enough for the researchers to identify three separate species within the Brontosaurus genus, taking its known family tree in a single paper from nonexistent to crowded.

They even noted that many famous Apatosaurus specimens (including the one at the American Museum of Natural History) may now have to be studied and reclassified as another species entirely. O.C. Marsh, we owe you an apology.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

World Yodel Day is a festilval dedicated to...

Yodeling, of course.

Bu it's NOT held in the Swiss alps, or anywhere close to them, but in South Korea.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Gadgetman gave me a hint that I might like this thread and he was right. Definitely. I`m very intrested into sience and information in general. Great. I will bookmark this. For the moment I have nothing to add to the topic, but I stay tuned and by chance I will jump in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Gadgetman gave me a hint that I might like this thread and he was right. Definitely. I`m very intrested into sience and information in general. Great. I will bookmark this. For the moment I have nothing to add to the topic, but I stay tuned and by chance I will jump in.

Tell us anything! And I like the Luiz Royo avatar.

• Like 2