Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

A "true" longbow had a D cross section. However, it's one of those words like Broadsword that have fallen into common usage and don't typically mean what it started off meaning. Now Longbow is generally understood to mean any bow that is longer than 60" NTN (nock to nock). In particular the American Longbow is a thing, though it usually has a flat cross section. Don't get me started on reflex and deflex bows and how those get bandied about :). 

I'm by no means an expert, but I've picked this up over the last few years due to my obsession with archery. I personally prefer the Mollegabet or the Pyramid Bow. 

I also find it somewhat interesting that some of the same advances or discoveries were made in primative archery in widely different areas and cultures.  It's also fascinating how the advancement in stringed stick technology was driven by the available materials. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

The idea that throwing rice at weddings causes harm to birds is complete nonsense.

• Normal rice expands less than most of the seeds that birds normally eat.
  • While instant rice does expand quite a bit more, it's not harmful either. (The birds tested really liked it.)
  • Birds (as can be seen in dozens of nature documentaries) can regurgitate when necessary.
  • Birds digest rice just fine.

Though I wouldn't recommend loading rice into a shotgun and firing it. Even if you really dislike the bride and/or groom.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

4 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The idea that throwing rice at weddings causes harm to birds is complete nonsense.

I didn't realize this was contentious these days.

Where did the tradition of throwing rice at weddings come from?  (Serious question.  I don't know.)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I didn't realize this was contentious these days.

Where did the tradition of throwing rice at weddings come from?  (Serious question.  I don't know.)

To the Googles!

"The custom began with the ancient Romans, and is meant to wish fertility for the newlyweds. Originally, Romans threw wheat, but soon afterward, rice became a universal symbol for fertility."

-- https://curiosity.com/topics/the-origin-of-throwing-rice-at-weddings/

It's on the internet*; it must be true!

* Much the same thing is in many places on the internet, so I rate its overall plausibility as high, though the details might be sketchy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I guess it is allowed here to spontaneously change the topic, because I have recognized this behaviour here before and so I just make a try.

Cymatics is a term which describes the art and sience of making frequencies visible. The musicians among you probably know this feeling well, when you stand in front of a huge bass amp/huge speaker and you feel the vibrations all over your body and under your feet. So we can physical feel frequencies if they are loud enough and so the step to make them visible too is not very far. Nigel Stanford did it and he created an amazing video about it. This are no tricks, what you see is real and I think the song is cool too, at least I like it a lot: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3oItpVa9fs&t=26s

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The felt concussion from music is very similar to what someone shooting a firearm feels. This is why there are two parts to defining the recoil of a gun firing, the physical push from the weight of the bullet being launched and the combined effect of the noise/concussion of the blast.

• Like 9

image.png.ede08f7eb8cd2a9d4f994dd54f3a97dc.png

For those who want to know.

King = Koning

Rabbit = Konijn.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

27 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.ede08f7eb8cd2a9d4f994dd54f3a97dc.png

For those who want to know.

King = Koning

Rabbit = Konijn.

This is similar to the urban legend that when Kennedy made his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech his audience laughed because a Berliner is also a German type of doughnut.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

If I remember right, it was something of a grammatical error,  he was supposed to say "Ich bin Berliner" without the ein, or something like that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Pretty much the same junk as I've got in my attic.

Hardly worth funding an expedition and fighting against giant scorpions, mummies and evil cultists for

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Don't forget the Death traps!   

With how much stuff people can seem to cram into an attic, I think that's covered.  Just not as many snakes and/or acid traps.  Or arrows...  And instead of a deadly Boulder, it's a cascade of boxes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hardly worth funding an expedition and fighting against giant scorpions, mummies and evil cultists for

Give it another 4,000 years. It'll get there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5