Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

40 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I should clarify that the TIE pilots' flight suits were the things that provided life support systems, as @Crowley had mentioned. There were deliberate limits placed on the range on the TIE fighter, while rebel ships provided atmosphere and food for longer journeys (and you got to see their faces because they were the good guys, and you're supposed to feel something when someone goes all Jek Porkins into a turbolaser blast).

Really now?

image.thumb.png.7bc8089c6af829d998b583e4eea756da.pngimage.thumb.png.e4b477c9893b8b572a6915664f77d38b.pngimage.png.4b4aef15a81957b5ef69b54e304ee25d.pngimage.png.66500302313131b52a00e8bf849eeb96.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Related image

This aircraft is not flying with its wheels retracted.  It is flying without them.  This was common practice aboard flying carriers in order to extend the range of the fighters.

Spoiler

Image result for Curtiss Sparrowhawk

Edited by kitchen_wolf
  • Like 6

The first big climactic space battle seen in the Star Wars universe was when the Millenium Falcon escapes from the Death Star and is pursued by four TIE fighters (we had the battle between the Tantive IV and the Star Destroyer at the beginning of the movie, but it was over fast enough and we never doubted who was gonna win).

In this space battle, four standard Imperial fighters vs. a souped up civilian freighter, we learn the basics of the TIE fighters:  short range capability, no hyperdrive, but fast as hell, good at evasive maneuvers,  capable of dishing out some punishment... and NO shields or armor; they're doomed the second the opposition lands one good shot on 'em. Hard to hit, but when they DO get hit, they blow. Note "Ion engine fuel tank directly beneath the cockpit." It's even on the blueprints.

Spoilers for a movie old enough to have kids in high school: we later find out that Vader's plan all along was to simply let the TIEs get blown up. They weren't supposed to win. Vader threw them away (and their associated pilots) simply to keep the Falcon's crew from thinking about "tracking device on board, we were allowed to escape so we could lead them to the rebel base, that was too easy."

In short: Imperial pilots are expendable as all hell.

And I can't say the line of thinking endears me to the idea of trying to fly an aircraft that someone in an office far away decided "Naaaah, this thing doesn't need landing gear...."

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My family adopted a black kitten a friend found stranded in the median of the interstate last week. Since she's all black, we named her Liliana. She's our fourth cat in the house, and is driving the older cats crazy. They're all very unhappy that she's joined the family, but she's super sweet, and loves snuggling on our chests.

• Like 11

23 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I should clarify that the TIE pilots' flight suits were the things that provided life support systems, as @Crowley had mentioned. There were deliberate limits placed on the range on the TIE fighter, while rebel ships provided atmosphere and food for longer journeys (and you got to see their faces because they were the good guys, and you're supposed to feel something when someone goes all Jek Porkins into a turbolaser blast).

Porkins had a first name?! :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Everyone has a full name, fleshed out background, and ties to everything you can think of going back to the Old Republic. Have you never looked at Wookiepedia? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Everyone has a full name, fleshed out background, and ties to everything you can think of going back to the Old Republic. Have you never looked at Wookiepedia? 

Not really, no. I mostly just stick to the movies, maaaybe a novel once or twice. I don't have the desire to go through the expanded universe minutiae. It honestly amazes me that the "fat pilot" was named "Porkins" at all, but knowing that he got a first name and family tree and backstory is rather amusing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.66500302313131b52a00e8bf849eeb96.png

One of my favorite quotes from Star Wars is "And these blast points, too accurate for Sand People.  Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."  All I can think of when I hear it is the fact that there is somebody in the Star Wars universe less accurate than Stormtroopers.  :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

38 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Jek Tono Porkins, actually. Though he was also called Piggy or Belly Runner. 

10 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

One of my favorite quotes from Star Wars is "And these blast points, too accurate for Sand People.  Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."  All I can think of when I hear it is the fact that there is somebody in the Star Wars universe less accurate than Stormtroopers.  :blink:

They're highly accurate,  but terrible against plot armour.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

I remember stumbling upon a fan theory that Obi-Wan tipped off the Storm Troopers about Uncle Owen and Beru, because he wanted to make sure that Luke had motivation to go with him and defeat Vader. I'm sure there's little to no actual supporting evidence, but it does strike me as an interesting idea...

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

The Liberator pistol was a mass produced pistol chambered for .45 ACP that was air dropped all over Europe for resistance groups to use.   Not that they were intended to actually shoot people with them since the barrel was only barely longer than the bullet and had only a notional relationship to the concept of rifling and as such was, much like derringers, more likely to hit the moon than whatever you happened to be aiming it at.  In addition, there was real doubt that the hasty construction would actually stand up to more than a few shots.  The theory was that you should use it to intimidate someone into giving you a real gun. 

In addition to its failings with regards shooting things you were aiming at, the Liberator also suffered from the fact that if you ever were insane enough to fire it in anger you better hope that by some miracle you accidentally hit your target because reloading it involved flipping the breach plate up and using a stick to eject the spent shell. 

If you would like to see someone attempt to actually hit something with one (well, a reproduction anyway) go here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgOfbG3mi_0

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Erifnogard said:

The Liberator pistol was a mass produced pistol chambered for .45 ACP that was air dropped all over Europe for resistance groups to use.   Not that they were intended to actually shoot people with them since the barrel was only barely longer than the bullet and had only a notional relationship to the concept of rifling and as such was, much like derringers, more likely to hit the moon than whatever you happened to be aiming it at.  In addition, there was real doubt that the hasty construction would actually stand up to more than a few shots.  The theory was that you should use it to intimidate someone into giving you a real gun. 

In addition to its failings with regards shooting things you were aiming at, the Liberator also suffered from the fact that if you ever were insane enough to fire it in anger you better hope that by some miracle you accidentally hit your target because reloading it involved flipping the breach plate up and using a stick to eject the spent shell. 

If you would like to see someone attempt to actually hit something with one (well, a reproduction anyway) go here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgOfbG3mi_0

Ooo, yeah, the Liberator pistol, otherwise known as "a great gun to get another gun with!"

22988699_1_l.jpg.af4951e85dcd725214a0645b7838e3b9.jpgThe picture is not QUITE actual size. Erifnogard's statement is quite accurate; it was based on the idea that all those conquered Europeans were basically unarmed partisans, and if little Minette could get close enough to Fritz to blow his head off, she'd have a shiny new German infantry rifle!

Stamped out of sheet steel, loaded up, and dropped into occupied territory, their usefulness or impact on the war was questionable. I hear they're bigtime collector's items now.

• Like 10

They are making a reproduction Liberator  now. Because of new Federal laws it has to have a rifled barrel, where the originals did not. The company making them has put a couple of extra markings to keep folks from trying to sell them as originals. Believe me, no one in their right mind enjoys shooting one of these [yeah, I got to try one], but if it would get you a better gun, I'd have used one. They also, came with a pictorial instruction paper with no words, so it could be dropped anywhere.

In the spirit of picking up fallen guns was really carried out outside of Stalingrad. They were so short of rifles, they would give one to every other soldier and tell them to pick up their fallen comrades rifles!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

This is actually the biggest issue with the original movie...

The Sand People were opportunist raiders with a preference for ambush tactics. And in an ambust witrh ranged weapons it really pays off to be sharpshooters. 

In a lot of movies, ambusters WITH ranged weapoons break cover to shoot wildly or pull short-range or mele weapons to enter the fray. 

No sensible bandit leader would ever approve of that. 

If the weapon needs a long time to reload, they give their best shooters more than one, and if they can spare the hands, someone to help reload.   

Mele fighting is something they would try to avoid if at all possible.   

Bandit leaders who didn't try to keep losses in the ranks as small as possible wouldn't stay as a leader for very long. 

5 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I remember stumbling upon a fan theory that Obi-Wan tipped off the Storm Troopers about Uncle Owen and Beru, because he wanted to make sure that Luke had motivation to go with him and defeat Vader. I'm sure there's little to no actual supporting evidence, but it does strike me as an interesting idea...

Given the fact that the Jedis would 'orphan' children early on in their trasining in the old days, it wouldn't really surprise me. 

• Like 9