Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

Just got back from a long breakfast walk with some of the beagles. It's a beautiful morning on the North Downs, a lingering mist 

I half expected to see a black rider waiting at the end of the path

ide-hill-mist-171117-DSCF0248-lrg.jpg

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2018 at 4:41 AM, Beagle said:

Just got back from a long breakfast walk with some of the beagles. It's a beautiful morning on the North Downs, a lingering mist 

I half expected to see a black rider waiting at the end of the path

ide-hill-mist-171117-DSCF0248-lrg.jpg

Stunning...

• Like 1

An urban legend circulates about the second Avengers movie, the one with Ultron.

In it, there is a scene where the Avengers are just hanging out, lunching and laughing together, and Thor puts his hammer on a table and dares anyone to lift it. 

No one can lift it of course, because they aren't Thor, despite the fact that it's not heavy enough to break the table, and Thor explains Odin's enchantment: Only those who are worthy may lift and wield Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor! And Thor laughingly remarks about how none of them are worthy. 

The scene was originally written with a glass topped table, just for giggles, but was changed to an ordinary table for some reason. 

There was going to be an after credits scene where the janitor comes in that night to clean up Avengers Tower, and notes that someone has spilled a drink on the glass topped table. Grumbling, the janitor goes over, lifts the hammer, cleans up the spill, notices the hammer in his hand, wipes the hammer clean, and puts it back on the table while he goes to clean something else.

The janitor would have been played by Stan Lee.

main-qimg-7672a113118acbdb1a45b2a6c0c7e814.png.9c57475ee8e03df44a11f545cc207b09.png

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

On 8/11/2018 at 2:12 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

The thing about the Civil War and its generals? You can find books about EVERY ONE of these guys. Durn near everybody above a certain rank who fought in the Civil War...

...has at least two biographies. 

Recently, on a forum known as the Lead Adventure Forum someone announced that they were going to start collecting figures for The Battle of Antietam. They needed information on regimental flags carried by units involved. And then, they asked more generally, “is there much information available on the ACW?”

:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

668276_v2.jpg

In fact it is still illegal to publicly display a swastika in Germany.

Their law (Strafgesetzbuch section 86a) outlaws "use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations" outside the contexts of "art or science, research or teaching".

Whatever the hell that means... effectively you can't walk around with a Nazi armband on. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 6

Mmhm. Buy a model Hindenburg, you'll find an alternative decal sheet with swastika free Nazi flags.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Mmhm. Buy a model Hindenburg, you'll find an alternative decal sheet with swastika free Nazi flags.

It was a great injustice to airships that the Hindenburg flew under the nazi flag. Airships are a thing of beauty. 

I mean, they don't usually fair much better in ghibli films, but I maintain that airships belong in a utopian sort of ghibli world.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, paintybeard said:

In fact it is still illegal to publicly display a swastika in Germany.

Their law (Strafgesetzbuch section 86a) outlaws "use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations" outside the contexts of "art or science, research or teaching".

Whatever the hell that means... effectively you can't walk around with a Nazi armband on. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.

You're right about that last thing.

But it also means that when you buy a model kit of a WWII German airplane or a Tank, you will not have the swastika emblems.

We Dutch were occupied by the Nazis and we can buy those model kits with the original swastika emblems.

I think it adds to historical accuracy.

And I think it should be filed under the art section to allow it.

It has gone so far that in Germany you can't play a video shooter like Wolfenstein in an original setting, the symbol is replaced by another symbol.

What's the use? We all know what it should look like.

Again this should be filed under art.

There were more countries using the swastika during the interbellum, not all were Nazis.

In fact Mr. Hitler has defiled many symbols.

The swastika is used by the early Vikings, Asian cultures and even native Americans.

It wasn't a symbol of destruction.

He also used the Totenkopf symbol for his SS. ( that skull with the two bones) that was just part of a whole emblem worn by a Prussian Hussar unit during the Napoleonic era.

You still see the use of the swastika in many Asian countries because there it stands for good fortune instead of destruction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Yes, I'd love to see a protest rally by socially aware, "right on", left-wing pirates protesting against the shocking misuse of the "their" skull and cross-bones symbols by the naughty SS. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Which pirates?   

todays pimply-faced filesharers, or the cutlass-swinging pirates of old?   

They were more likely to hoist a blood-red 'Jolly Roger' and chop everyone's head off...   

http://www.cracked.com/article_19482_6-absurd-pirate-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html

Particularly if you compared them to such horrible people as the Waffen SS. 

No Black flag and possible leniency for you, then.

• Like 4

Still plenty of real pirates about Gadgetman, and as I have to sail through the Gulf of Aden soon I have a healthy respect for them.

More likely to swing a Kalishnikov than a cutlass.

• Like 7

On 8/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, Dr.Bedlam said:

I had a tough time with Chris McCandless, the hero and victim of Into The Wild

If you're not familiar with it, it's a book and movie about a real guy who decided to test himself and his character by going off on a hitchhiking odyssey to "find himself." He ended up starving to death in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness because he didn't know a thing about how to survive in the Alaskan wilderness but thought, "How hard could it be?"

I'm of two minds about the guy. Part of me says I shouldn't judge because I did all sorts of idiotic things when I was his age, any number of which could have led to grave consequences, including death, maiming, jail sentences and perhaps eternal existence as a meme devoted to idiocy. And then part of me says, "Okay, I did some stupid things, but I didn't try to live off a bag of rice and a dead moose in the Alaskan wilderness, for potato's sake!"

So an author wrote a book about McCandless' experience, based on the evidence and McCandless' journal. I am uncertain as to the literary merit of this; history will judge. 

But apparently, there's a fair number of people who read a book about a guy who does a stupid thing and dies... so they decide to go do that same stupid thing?

666788_v2.jpg

I've actually read a fairly large bit of that book, at some point in time. He was actually an experienced survivalist with a past of surviving in other wilderness conditions. He misidentified some seeds during the time he was out in the Alaskan wilderness, according to his own journals, causing him to die of starvation, as the seeds didn't actually act as any reasonable form of sustenance. If he had consumed something different instead of those seeds, he likely would have survived to the point when the Alaskan patrol found him. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5