Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

5. So, with the old story bible thrown out, a new one was substituted, and scripts were produced by such luminaries as J. Michael Straczynski and Paul Dini; animators included John Kricfalusi and Bruce Timm. And on the production end, we had chaps like Shuki Levi and Haim Saban. Dini and Timm would go on to make Batman:The Animated Series, Kricfalusi became famous for Ren and Stimpy, and Levi and Saban would eventually helm their own money machine with the Power Rangers. And, of course, J-Mike would be famed for Babylon 5, among other things. We all gotta start somewhere.

blog_randor_costume_01.jpg.23a587372722a5dc70cf861aba86b081.jpg Queen Marlena, seen here at center, was noted to be an astronaut from Earth in the story bible; her last name was Glenn, as a shout out to astronaut John Glenn, and her son Adam was therefore half Terran. None of this ever came up in the cartoon, except in one episode where the Queen leaped into a fighter jet and kicked bad guy butt all OVER the sky.

Evil-lyn.jpg.140675a53f434aa726a53d19f80d4d1e.jpg Skeletor's sidekick, Evil-Lyn, was also noted to be from Earth, and her real name was Evelyn. She did have hair, and the story bible notes it is white. It is unclear if she came on the same mission that Marlena did. The show never touched on this, and the ideas were never explored. Her model and action figure were exactly the same as Teela's, except for a different head and a color palette swap. 

b0a1e5390242750f7f064042f16f3dd41cf7852e_full.jpg.84126d01f37738ffdf14df8c3b82e4ac.jpgOriginally, Prince Adam was going to look very different from He-Man; he would be younger and thinner, and somewhat shorter. For some reason, they ditched this idea, and instead made the characters identical except for wardrobe; for some reason, if you're going to fight evil on Eternia with superpowers, you have to do it dressed like Conan. Weirdly enough, he wound up becoming sort of a cartoon gay icon; apparently, the idea of a handsome, muscular young prince with a pageboy haircut ... who perpetually wears a pink shirt and lavender tights... who leads a secret double life that his family doesn't know about in which he wields a big long... glowing... um... thing... of POWER... um... seems to have struck a chord with the gay subculture. Apparently, this caused the Prince Adam action figure to sell like mad, a thing Mattel had not expected.

images.jpg.45b8b9953a61349d8cdbded124187680.jpg Also makes you think when you look at this picture, doesn't it?
The iconic transformation scene "By the power of Greyskull... I have the POWERRRRR!" was, of course, reused at LEAST once an episode, to save money. It also made Mattel happy, as they wanted Castle Greyskull to appear in every episode, and having Prince Adam teleport in front of the thing every time he waved his sword around certainly met the criteria.

The man who came up with Skeletor's look says he was inspired by a hideous mummy thing he saw at a carnival... which he would later find was the mummified corpse of outlaw Elmer McCurdy, whom I've written about before in this very thread. The story bible does not explain why Skeletor is buff and blue up to the collarbones, but rather spare above them. Apparently, there is a still thriving debate as to whether Skeletor has a neck or not, or if his skull just kind of floats above his shoulders. No one seems to wonder how he pronounces his fricatives without any lips.

d2d.jpg.261187dd10e1ba5af2817062d4af6767.jpg Interestingly enough, when the property became a live action movie, Frank Langella played Skeletor; he's about the only one in the movie who still isn't ashamed of being in it, insisting that his grandchildren really wanted him to do it, and that he was just there to have fun, pick up a check, and amuse the kiddies. His skull mask would later go on to be seen on the Holodeck in Star Trek: The Next Generation as one of Worf's holographic sparring partners.

Reused animation wasn't the only place Filmation found to save money. Laser zap sound effects were borrowed from Battlestar Galactica, blaster bolts used the sound of the Enterprise's photon torpedoes, and one alarm sound heard more than once on the show was, in fact, the sound the Pac-Man arcade game made when you ate a Power Pill and all the ghosts turned blue...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6

On 8/30/2018 at 5:33 AM, Glitterwolf said:

What’s the largest living organism?

Depends on definition. The most massive organism is thought to be an Aspen grove in Utah, at about 6,000,000kg. Estimates of its age vary, but the currently popular one seems to be ~80,000 years. Its surface area is much smaller than the mushroom, though, at only 43ha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

5. So, with the old story bible thrown out, a new one was substituted, and scripts were produced by such luminaries as J. Michael Straczynski and Paul Dini; animators included John Kricfalusi and Bruce Timm. And on the production end, we had chaps like Shuki Levi and Haim Saban. Dini and Timm would go on to make Batman:The Animated Series, Kricfalusi became famous for Ren and Stimpy, and Levi and Saban would eventually helm their own money machine with the Power Rangers. And, of course, J-Mike would be famed for Babylon 5, among other things. We all gotta start somewhere.

blog_randor_costume_01.jpg.23a587372722a5dc70cf861aba86b081.jpg Queen Marlena, seen here at center, was noted to be an astronaut from Earth in the story bible; her last name was Glenn, as a shout out to astronaut John Glenn, and her son Adam was therefore half Terran. None of this ever came up in the cartoon, except in one episode where the Queen leaped into a fighter jet and kicked bad guy butt all OVER the sky.

Evil-lyn.jpg.140675a53f434aa726a53d19f80d4d1e.jpg Skeletor's sidekick, Evil-Lyn, was also noted to be from Earth, and her real name was Evelyn. She did have hair, and the story bible notes it is white. It is unclear if she came on the same mission that Marlena did. The show never touched on this, and the ideas were never explored. Her model and action figure were exactly the same as Teela's, except for a different head and a color palette swap. 

b0a1e5390242750f7f064042f16f3dd41cf7852e_full.jpg.84126d01f37738ffdf14df8c3b82e4ac.jpgOriginally, Prince Adam was going to look very different from He-Man; he would be younger and thinner, and somewhat shorter. For some reason, they ditched this idea, and instead made the characters identical except for wardrobe; for some reason, if you're going to fight evil on Eternia with superpowers, you have to do it dressed like Conan. Weirdly enough, he wound up becoming sort of a cartoon gay icon; apparently, the idea of a handsome, muscular young prince with a pageboy haircut ... who perpetually wears a pink shirt and lavender tights... who leads a secret double life that his family doesn't know about in which he wields a big long... glowing... um... thing... of POWER... um... seems to have struck a chord with the gay subculture. Apparently, this caused the Prince Adam action figure to sell like mad, a thing Mattel had not expected.

images.jpg.45b8b9953a61349d8cdbded124187680.jpg Also makes you think when you look at this picture, doesn't it?
The iconic transformation scene "By the power of Greyskull... I have the POWERRRRR!" was, of course, reused at LEAST once an episode, to save money. It also made Mattel happy, as they wanted Castle Greyskull to appear in every episode, and having Prince Adam teleport in front of the thing every time he waved his sword around certainly met the criteria.

The man who came up with Skeletor's look says he was inspired by a hideous mummy thing he saw at a carnival... which he would later find was the mummified corpse of outlaw Elmer McCurdy, whom I've written about before in this very thread. The story bible does not explain why Skeletor is buff and blue up to the collarbones, but rather spare above them. Apparently, there is a still thriving debate as to whether Skeletor has a neck or not, or if his skull just kind of floats above his shoulders. No one seems to wonder how he pronounces his fricatives without any lips.

d2d.jpg.261187dd10e1ba5af2817062d4af6767.jpg Interestingly enough, when the property became a live action movie, Frank Langella played Skeletor; he's about the only one in the movie who still isn't ashamed of being in it, insisting that his grandchildren really wanted him to do it, and that he was just there to have fun, pick up a check, and amuse the kiddies. His skull mask would later go on to be seen on the Holodeck in Star Trek: The Next Generation as one of Worf's holographic sparring partners.

Reused animation wasn't the only place Filmation found to save money. Laser zap sound effects were borrowed from Battlestar Galactica, blaster bolts used the sound of the Enterprise's photon torpedoes, and one alarm sound heard more than once on the show was, in fact, the sound the Pac-Man arcade game made when you ate a Power Pill and all the ghosts turned blue...

I'd always wondered about that mask. I knew it had to come from somewhere. Also, love any story with a Star Trek connection!

• Like 4

1231071138_hqdefault(1).jpg.b00b85e8037c57462d37d1f39932ab32.jpg...eeeyeah, Skeletor was a bit unusual. In his original origin story, he was the enemy of the barbarian He-Man, and only one of a race of guys just like him, like a whole race of blue Necrosmurfs, or something. He'd fallen through a dimensional hole into Eternia, and was trying to open a gate for all his pals to come join him. Naturally, Filmation threw all this out, and replaced it with...

...nothing.

Producer Lou Scheimer felt that Skeletor didn't NEED a backstory; he's just an evil overlord villain, right? Who cares where he came from? And orders were given that NO scripts were to delve into his backstory; the most characterization he ever got was from his voice actor, Alan Oppenheimer, who also did voices for Real Ghostbusters, Thundarr The Barbarian, Transformers... and The Smurfs. Coincidence?

By contrast, Evil-Lyn and Teela got a campfire scene in which Lyn explains she has no actual loyalty to Skeletor, but is only in it for the power. Oh, plus, she's an astronaut from Earth. Dang, that's a whole novel, compared to what we knew about her boyfriend.

Naturally, after the show went off the air, everybody and their Uncle Oscar had to come up with stories about where Skeletor came from, and why he looked like that. It was eventually welded into canon that Skeletor was in fact King Randor's half brother, Keldor (whose mother was a Gar, a race of ... blue people, I guess... from... somewhere else. I'm guessing Smurfette, here). He was apparently a buff blue guy with a Ming the Merciless facial hair thing going on, but various stories that don't match generally agree on one thing: he got hit with a vial of acid, what cooked his face off. Again, we remain unclear on how he sees without eyes, or pronounces his fricatives with no lips.

Whether he was evil or not before the acid trip depends on which comics you read, but now that he's rockin' the Grim Reaper look, he is most assuredly evil, and out to conquer Eternia, and then the universe. It remains unclear if He-Man is aware that he's fighting his own uncle, or if Skeletor is aware that he's repeatedly tried to kill his own nephew.

I was going to end this entry with a picture of Evil-Lyn facepalming, but I have decided not to. After googling the phrase on Google Image, I have seen things that would send Rule 34 fleeing from the room screaming with its eyeballs in flames.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

So what do we know about Eternia?

He-Man-Toys.jpg.1e808e4b060f0662f5221deb0220f1d2.jpg  It is home to a race of humanoids whose males can't stand up straight, for one thing. My first thought was "Perhaps the gravity is greater, there. That would explain why they all seem to look like Gold's Gyms are on every streetcorner there, like Starbucks." However, the women don't seem to have the same posture problems. Perhaps they're all wrestlers. And they keep in shape by randomly attacking each other whenever the bad guys aren't around. Hence, they're in a perpetual crouch, ready for action at any given second!

...yeah, I didn't think so either. Yet, they crouch. To the point where some of the OTHER toy lines from other companies ALSO crouched, including a series of action figures based on the old DC comic, The Warlord. Among other knockoffs.

cringer1_0.jpg.cac159502c139a151f5eb6c0254b0977.jpgIt is also home to a species of largish predatory felines who can talk, and can be at least semi-domesticated. Perhaps THIS is why the male Eternians are forever crouched and musclebound; you'd HAVE to be with kitties like THAT around. Somehow, I don't think a ball of yarn and a can of tuna's gonna do it....

Eternia is a high magic area, and Eternians are also technologically advanced, possessing interstellar travel. Judging from the number of aliens around, it's apparently fairly easy to get to; two thirds of the female regular cast is from Earth, and at least one of the male regulars, Orko, is from another world, called Trolla. Other Trollans make guest appearances regularly. Which sort of subverts the old trope about how "Mars Needs Women;" in Eternia's case, all the Earth babes made a point of getting there under their own power...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.32abacc21538a3991b490eb3f4e51a49.png

What? You mean the Jurrassic Park films weren't documentaries!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.32abacc21538a3991b490eb3f4e51a49.png

"The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis, is an examination of Christianity ... from the point of view of a devil in Hell, writing letters of advice to his nephew, a junior tempter, who is trying to catch his first human soul for Hell.

They were first published in a magazine in Britain. Shortly afterwards, a country minister angrily cancelled his subscription, saying, "... much of the advice in these letters seems not only erroneous, but positively DIABOLIC!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Awright, awright. I've been asked more than once where I come up with some of the stuff I post. And fifteen minutes ago, a perfect example materialized.

I have in my possession a dice bag. It's black fabric, and printed on it in white print is the text of Poe's The Raven. It's a cool little dice bag. Berni cranks these things out by the dozen, for her it's a warmup to get the kinks out of her knuckles and adjust the thread tension on her sewing machine. And now it has a story.

Y'see, about a half hour ago, she was sewing down the flaps that would become the drawstring channels, right? And because we share a hobby room, I was across said room at my workbench, stringing a couple of bags she'd made earlier, running the drawstrings through said channels and tying them in place.

So we're making and stringing dicebags, right? Certainly not what you'd call a particularly interesting or storyworthy activity.

But Pocky the Cat was there. And dangling near the floor, wiggling enticingly, was the end of one of the strings, down between my feet. And being a cat, with a cat's nature, he began stalking it... sneaking up on it...

Two and a half feet above that, I finally got the end of the string out of the channel, and pulled it to match the other end.

The string zipped upward. "NO!" thought Pocky the Cat. "IT MUST NOT ESCAPE!"

And Pocky rocketed across the room, turned vertical at the last minute, and in an effort to snag the string, smacked me firmly on the nads, claws out.

And being a guy, with a guy's nature, I expelled an Interjection. Loudly.

This startled the crap out of Berni and Pocky, who exploded in a blast of fur, noise, and velocity, which FURTHER startled Berni, who jerked suddenly while she was sewing the string channel on the Poe bag, and didn't QUITE impale her thumb on the sewing machine needle. And then SHE expelled an Interjection.

And then, all three of us sat there and breathed for a minute.

A moment later, she handed me the bag. "You might want to check the seam on that string channel," she said. So I did. Sure enough, at one point, the seam veered suddenly south for a moment before turning back up to its orderly length from the edge of the fabric. 

And now it's the official Edgar Allan Poe/Claude Balz dice bag. Because it has a story. 

You SEE how things happen in this house, in my orbit? That all happened in less than a minute! I'm lucky Berni puts up with all the madness. This place RUNS on NARRATIVE CAUSALITY!

ow.jpg.ca51461e8b349a78ba3dd03873395beb.jpgtumblr_mkjlk4nfPt1qb4tzyo1_500.jpg.e87ebf2721a8f13f5b39aadbb5f7fa66.jpg

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

This place RUNS on NARRATIVE CAUSALITY!

When in doubt, have a man come through the door and toss a cat into the room...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

FOUND OBJECTS #1:

A house for sale along my drive to work. I'm sure it wasn't there, yesterday.

40558019_10216691920228850_40220582020644864_n.thumb.jpg.69cb1f65bb8c3466edbaf53d8dbd073f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

FOUND OBJECTS #1:

A house for sale along my drive to work. I'm sure it wasn't there, yesterday.

40558019_10216691920228850_40220582020644864_n.thumb.jpg.69cb1f65bb8c3466edbaf53d8dbd073f.jpg

Those fools. That house is going to eat them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

FOUND OBJECTS #2:

Well, the pizza was all right. Not GREAT, but far from bad pizza. But those robot muppets in the band apparently have only two settings, OFF and APOCALYPTICALLY LOUD, and there was something ... off... about the employees.... like they were afraid of something.

I don't know that I will rush back to eat there again, all things considered.

1381088213_SmallFazbear.jpg.5b39833970a7a8e1739db7befa36de28.jpg

• Haha 8

FOUND OBJECTS #3:

I wouldn't have believed that ordinary bone could be iridescent. Then again, consider the source.

IridescentUnicorn.jpg

• Haha 7

FOUND OBJECTS #4:

From the abortive treatment for Star Wars Goes To Hawaii. It would have been the first Star Wars film made without Lucas' involvement, but after the Holiday Special, he decided he wasn't having ANY of THAT broccoli, and the project was scrapped, and the sets and costumes reworked for Return Of The Jedi.

663189_v3.jpg

663195_v3.jpg

• Haha 6
  • Confused 4