Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

With how much stuff people can seem to cram into an attic, I think that's covered.  Just not as many snakes and/or acid traps.  Or arrows...  And instead of a deadly Boulder, it's a cascade of boxes. 

Filled with unpainted minis...

*** Archeologist: Must have been a Gamer's Lair!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

No, Archeologists almost never come up with a plausible explanation. 

Everything is religious, possibly related to either human sacrifice, fertility rituals, or both...   

There was a short movie made once, about acheologists in the far future digging through a an ancient city buried under a glacier...   

And the plastic shopping bag they found was supposedly part of an elaborate ritual with ofergifts to the gods and so on...   

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

4 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Everything is religious, possibly related to either human sacrifice, fertility rituals, or both...   

There was a short movie made once, about acheologists in the far future digging through a an ancient city buried under a glacier...   

And the plastic shopping bag they found was supposedly part of an elaborate ritual with ofergifts to the gods and so on...   

Right!

*** Archeologist: Look at these miniatures, clearly depictions of the ancient humans and their prey.

These hunters fought with terrible creatures, and these must depict their Gods and Demons, see?

*** Finds a 72mm urban legend Sophie: A fertility symbol for sure! Excuse me while I ...study...this in my tent...alone...

• Haha 12

24 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

16 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Right!

*** Archeologist: Look at these miniatures, clearly depictions of the ancient humans and their prey.

These hunters fought with terrible creatures, and these must depict their Gods and Demons, see?

*** Finds a 72mm urban legend Sophie: A fertility symbol for sure! Excuse me while I ...study...this in my tent...alone...

When archaeologists can't figure out the function of something, they automatically file it under 'for ceremonial purposes'. ::D:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.3b5a33b0eb6ae017ca47f4ac258bbf9b.png

I like the bed painted like a cheetah!

32 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Right!

I have a friend whose theory is that all those pregnant women figurines with giant breasts and invisible little feet are self-portraits because that’s what a pregnant woman looks like from her own perspective.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

I have a friend whose theory is that all those pregnant women figurines with giant breasts and invisible little feet are self-portraits because that’s what a pregnant woman looks like from her own perspective.

It wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

Paging @redambrosia !

• Haha 5

Despite being spoken in eastern Europe, where one might think its origins would be closer to Slavic or Uralic, the Romanian language actually belongs to the Romance/Latin-derived language family.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Despite being spoken in eastern Europe, where one might think its origins would be closer to Slavic or Uralic, the Romanian language actually belongs to the Romance/Latin-derived language family.

I know several people that immigrated from Moldava and Romania. They said that spanish is probably the closest to romanian and it's real easy for them to understand. Kind of interesting how they're on the opposite sides of Europe and so similar when other roman controlled areas aren't as close.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

51ezXptBacL.jpg.de7177aa176c313b5a8b2849da50e834.jpg Recommended: "MOTEL OF THE MYSTERIES," a fine illustrated description of this very phenomenon. From the description on Amazon: "It is the year 4022; all of the ancient country of Usa has been buried under many feet of detritus from a catastrophe that occurred back in 1985. Imagine, then, the excitement that Howard Carson, an amateur archeologist at best, experienced when in crossing the perimeter of an abandoned excavation site he felt the ground give way beneath him and found himself at the bottom of a shaft, which, judging from the DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging from an archaic doorknob, was clearly the entrance to a still-sealed burial chamber. Carson's incredible discoveries, including the remains of two bodies, one of then on a ceremonial bed facing an altar that appeared to be a means of communicating with the Gods and the other lying in a porcelain sarcophagus in the Inner Chamber, permitted him to piece together the whole fabric of that extraordinary civilization."

Also recommended: Any textbook that details the rituals and lives of the Nacirema people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

51ezXptBacL.jpg.de7177aa176c313b5a8b2849da50e834.jpg Recommended: "MOTEL OF THE MYSTERIES," a fine illustrated description of this very phenomenon. From the description on Amazon: "It is the year 4022; all of the ancient country of Usa has been buried under many feet of detritus from a catastrophe that occurred back in 1985. Imagine, then, the excitement that Howard Carson, an amateur archeologist at best, experienced when in crossing the perimeter of an abandoned excavation site he felt the ground give way beneath him and found himself at the bottom of a shaft, which, judging from the DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging from an archaic doorknob, was clearly the entrance to a still-sealed burial chamber. Carson's incredible discoveries, including the remains of two bodies, one of then on a ceremonial bed facing an altar that appeared to be a means of communicating with the Gods and the other lying in a porcelain sarcophagus in the Inner Chamber, permitted him to piece together the whole fabric of that extraordinary civilization."

Also recommended: Any textbook that details the rituals and lives of the Nacirema people.

I've read that book. It's absolutely hilarious. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zink said:

I know several people that immigrated from Moldava and Romania. They said that spanish is probably the closest to romanian and it's real easy for them to understand. Kind of interesting how they're on the opposite sides of Europe and so similar when other roman controlled areas aren't as close.

I'm not sure, but this may be due to the Romans. (What did they ever do for us?) Romania was brought under the Roman Empire at the end of 1st century AD. The legions involved in garrisoning the area were largely Iberian. It was Roman custom to give old soldiers the land to start farms when they were too old to stay in service. These colonies of ex-legionnaires may have influenced the local language.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

This book really should be required reading at any School where they educate archeologists and historians. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I'm not sure, but this may be due to the Romans. (What did they ever do for us?) Romania was brought under the Roman Empire at the end of 1st century AD. The legions involved in garrisoning the area were largely Iberian. It was Roman custom to give old soldiers the land to start farms when they were too old to stay in service. These colonies of ex-legionnaires may have influenced the local language.

A very valid theory, I support this.

Being Dutch we had our fair share of occupying forces and trade partners, our language is filled with foreign words and terms.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1