Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

[SPLIT] Dallas roads are bizarre and make no sense

On 11/3/2017 at 4:25 PM, hungerfan said:

I am in Allen but at this point anywhere in the DFW area feels about the same.  At times we feel like we are just far enough out of the big city to enjoy life a little more.  Then I want to go somewhere in the big city and it takes 45 min to get there. :/

Well if Dallas had anyone sane in charge of road design it would be more like 20 min.  I swear the oil companies had to have been in charge of designing your roads; the only possible reason I can think of for the bizarre, Escher-like roadways in the DFW area would be to burn more gas.

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well if Dallas had anyone sane in charge of road design it would be more like 20 min.  I swear the oil companies had to have been in charge of designing your roads; the only possible reason I can think of for the bizarre, Escher-like roadways in the DFW area would be to burn more gas.

Oh you mean that monster of a road structure outside of the hotels?  :blink:

That thing is insane!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, haldir said:

That thing is insane!

If that were the only case, it would just be, "Look at that really silly intersection. Who could have done that?"

But not only is it not alone in its surrealism, it almost seems to be standard for DFW. Using Google maps, travel along any of the major multi-lane divided roads in Dallas-Ft. Worth and you'll see that sort of thing over and over again.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:
1 hour ago, haldir said:

That thing is insane!

If that were the only case, it would just be, "Look at that really silly intersection. Who could have done that?"

But not only is it not alone in its surrealism, it almost seems to be standard for DFW. Using Google maps, travel along any of the major multi-lane divided roads in Dallas-Ft. Worth and you'll see that sort of thing over and over again.

A few years back we took a few-hours break and drove north to see a friend in Oklahoma and we were amazed at how consistently insane the civil engineering is. What sort of Lovecraftian traffic patterns make that a good idea??

Of course Dallas also doesn't seem to put paint on many of their side streets, relying on reflectors instead. I don't know how normal that is, either, but almost everything about the roads in Dallas seems strange to me as a Pennsylvanian. I certainly haven't seen this stuff anywhere else I've driven. And I'm only half saying that because I can barely see the lane dividers at night in Dallas...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, terminalmancer said:

A few years back we took a few-hours break and drove north to see a friend in Oklahoma and we were amazed at how consistently insane the civil engineering is. What sort of Lovecraftian traffic patterns make that a good idea??

Of course Dallas also doesn't seem to put paint on many of their side streets, relying on reflectors instead. I don't know how normal that is, either, but almost everything about the roads in Dallas seems strange to me as a Pennsylvanian. I certainly haven't seen this stuff anywhere else I've driven. And I'm only half saying that because I can barely see the lane dividers at night in Dallas...

Well, if you're not going to bother with sidewalks, I suppose staying in your lane is less important.

<_<

• Like 9

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Belt Line is Main and they circle part of the city.

Then there are the Roads of Multiple Names that have actual turns that make you think you turned onto a new road only to discover NOPE!

And this was in the 70s!

But man do I miss Pizza Junction.

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

When I was a kid, I would have loved to have a Hot Wheels track half as convoluted as the Dallas area interstate highways.

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

16 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Here in the Northeast, we have a word for such built-up highway interchanges.

We call them "Hartford".

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I've lived in San Antonio for four years, and I was thinking how much nicer the Dallas roads are. In San Antonio, every highway entrance exits in 1/4 mile so there is a constant knot around them with people trying to get into and out of the exit "lane" (can you call it a lane if it only exists for 15 seconds on the highway?). And city streets never go in straight lines, or even keep the same name when you pass through an intersection. Something on the other side of the highway? You can't "just turn left."

• Like 2

23 hours ago, terminalmancer said:

Lovecraftian is probably the most apt description of the road system I saw during ReaperCon.  It's nothing but tentacles, tentacles everywhere!  Without the charmingly-accented GPS robot lady giving us direction we would have blown all our sanity checks just getting out of DFW.  And even with her help, I'm still not sure Guindy came back from the trip with all the marbles she brought.  Fortunately she learned to drive in New Orleans, where I imagine driving school is taught by extras from The Road Warrior.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Lovecraftian is probably the most apt description of the road system I saw during ReaperCon.  It's nothing but tentacles, tentacles everywhere!  Without the charmingly-accented GPS robot lady giving us direction we would have blown all our sanity checks just getting out of DFW.  And even with her help, I'm still not sure Guindy came back from the trip with all the marbles she brought.  Fortunately she learned to drive in New Orleans, where I imagine driving school is taught by extras from The Road Warrior.

Roads are a sign that the governor loves us and cares enough to fund a new street. So we put them EVERYWHERE. We have roads that only lead to themselves just so we could have a new road.

4 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

Roads are a sign that the governor loves us and cares enough to fund a new street. So we put them EVERYWHERE. We have roads that only lead to themselves just so we could have a new road.

We have the same deal with roundabouts. Busses and fire trucks don't need to get through as long as there is a shiny new roundabout to add value to the neighborhood.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

This would be funny if I hadn't experienced the truth of it.

16 hours ago, Keianna said:

We have the same deal with roundabouts. Busses and fire trucks don't need to get through as long as there is a shiny new roundabout to add value to the neighborhood.

I hate roundabouts with a passion of a thousand suns; mostly because no one in the US knows or has been taught how to use them.  They just started putting them in everywhere with no warning or instructions.  People be crazy on those things.

• Like 7

Wait till you see a divergent diamond intersection.  Your mind will be blown.  And expect to see more roundabouts it is the new trend for certain traffic conditions.

• Like 3