• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      "So...Xiao Lu. You have expressed interest in this particular carp. Your purse is sufficient for the purchase. Nevertheless, I will only sell to a man with the proper appreciation of the fish, a scholar who can truly cherish it as it deserves.
      Tell me, Xiao Lu. What are the Noble Virtues of the carp?" 

"Truly, Master Fang, only the injudicious man would sell such a precious gift to a fool.
      The different colors and patterns of the carp indicate different virtues, some those of the father, some of the mother, some of daughters or sons, or scholars or businessmen or soldiers.

But the virtues common to all carp are:
      Firstly, courageous independence. It swims upstream, heading into the current always. An indomitable will to face what comes. A carp swimming downstream bodes ill; this is known to all.
      Secondly, prosperity. Their scales of gold, silver, platinum, and bronze are all auspicious, reflecting money and attracting luck. 
      Thirdly, fecundity.  Their fertility fills the rivers; does not their very name evoke abundance and plenty?  
      Fourthly, success and transformation through diligence and perseverance. As it is said, 'the carp has leapt through the Dragon's Gate.' With enough work, the carp may surmount even the waterfall that streams down the mountain. And does not the carp that passes the Dragon Gate itself become a dragon? So too will the man who applies himself become accomplished and recognized."

These are two truly magnificent sculpts. The short fellow with the oval base is from an 80's-era Grenadier set of "Vile Villains." (He comes with a Casper Gutman/Sydney Greenstreet Fat Man and a tall trenchcoated fellow with beard and hat, perhaps a Rasputin figure? All very different heights and builds, which I appreciate.) Anyway, he's the star of the show. Those old minis had some fantastic detail work on the faces. And you have to love his long twisty fingernails. 

Here's more of him:

Dr. Fang was another sculpt I had to get when I heard Statuesque was discontinuing its Pulp Alley line. Very much in the Pei Mei / Fu Manchu line. The exact sort of person you think of when you hear the phrase "undying leaders of the cult in China." Definitely an old man whom it would be unwise to challenge. I had a lot of fun with the gradient (hey, Breast Cancer Pink in action!) and the koi on his robes. 

Here's a thorough turnaround:

The rear wall is GreenstuffWorld's "China" roller on foamboard, airbrushed. Heavily inspired by the opulent color gradients from "Curse of the Golden Flower" (a splendid palace tragedy). The aquaria are of course Chessex dice boxes and some stuff I had lying around. The koi pond is a metal lid from a tube of biscuit dough with a lick of paint and some 'Ardcoat. The lantern comes from the Tortoise Merchant and Drayman.

• By Rigel
      "Even the man who says his prayers / Before going to bed at night /
      May turn to WOLF when the wolfsbane blooms / and the moon is high and bright." --Apocryphal rhyme

DOCTOR. A very pestilent disease, my lord,
      They call lycanthropia... 
      In those that are possess'd with 't there o'erflows
      Such melancholy humour they imagine
      Themselves to be transformed into wolves;
      Steal forth to church-yards in the dead of night,
      And dig dead bodies up: as two nights since
      One met the duke 'bout midnight in a lane
      Behind Saint Mark's church, with the leg of a man
      Upon his shoulder; and he howl'd fearfully;
      Said he was a wolf, only the difference
      Was, a wolf's skin was hairy on the outside,
      His on the inside...
       --The Duchess of Malfi

Body horror, puberty, loss of control, loved ones acting out of character, cannibalism, madness, things more savage and bloodthirsty than we thought man or beast could be--it's a rich vein of horror. The further back you go, the more blurred the distinction between vampire and werewolf and witch becomes, but as a general rule what we now consider to be vampires are specifically betrayers of hospitality and home; like de Rais and Bathory, they commit their crimes behind closed doors. Werewolves, on the other hand, are given to savagery outdoors, in the lanes, under the moonlight, in the moors and lonesome places.

It is appropriate then, that Julie Guthrie's werewolf 02139, is named DuChamps--of the fields. Here he is, in form much more wolf than man.

These two pictures are behind the Spoilers tab because, while Julie did not necessarily have to sculpt Jean-Paul's werescrote and transmogrified lycanthrodong, she did that. She did that for us, because she's a PROFESSIONAL and doesn't take shortcuts. I don't think it rises to indecency, but better safe. Will delete and link if the need arises.

Next up. the truly monstrous Werewolf, 77009. Those familiar with the role-playing game "Werewolf!" from White Wolf will recognize this as a Crinos form. Enormous, savage, horrific. This is about a 50/50 mix of Man and Wolf, but with the features dialed up to 11. I had fun painting hair on the smoother human limbs.

And lastly, a Nolzur's werewolf I had on the Shelf of Shame. This one is mostly human but with a wolf's head and claws. 

A note on the full moon: it's just a Nolzur's disc base painted white and poked with paintbrush ends of varying sizes during the drying phase to simulate craters. I may have to do some more of this with discs of different sizes and colors for Spacefuture shots, because multiple moons convey Other Worlds the way zeppelins convey Alternate Histories.
    • By Pingo
      This is Reaper's 14048, Fatima, Nefsokar Cleric.

Or rather it will be when you click on the links because she's super NSFW, front and back.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PAINTED FIGURE FATIMA, NEFSOKAR CLERIC.

There isn't a WIP thread because I couldn't figure out how to make one that would abide by the board rules. But questions or comments are appreciated.

The images are hosted on Instagram so you can post comments there too if you like.

• By Nightwing
      This is the Wizard from Grenadier’s Wizards box set circa 1980. Most of the minis from the set were called variations like Sorcerer, Illusionist, Magician, and Warlock. But there are also 2 druids and a cleric included. 

I painted all the minis from the set in my teens, then wanted to repaint them in my early 20’s so I had my friend sandblast(!) the paint off. That eroded much of the detail. So the detail in the beard, hands, imp, is almost all painted in. 

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      These HeartBreaker minis were the first ones I bought that weren't part of a boardgame, or Warhammer starter set. Years ago I had a fair sized Undead army, and thru the magic of Simple Green, the time has come to rebuild and repaint that army. 

Later they were reinforced with these friendly fellows from Grenadier.

This time around, I built them a unit tray from balsa wood, insulation foam, and wood putty.

• Who's Online   33 Members, 4 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)