Paint Shop Pro 8.0 - advice?

primeval

I was just wondering if anyone uses Paint Shop Pro and what they think of it . I was thinking it would be a good program to get for both photo editing and working on a website (one of these days I will get motivated and start learning Dreamweaver...)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Photoshop 7/8 - The best, very expensive.

Paint Shop Pro 7 - 2nd best, cheap to begin with and probably cheaper since 8 is out.

Paint Shop pro 8 - I'm not keen on it, but it's alright (I use Photoshop 8 anyways ::P:).

Fireworks - Hate it, some like it, not as expensive as Photoshop but considerably more expensive than Paint Shop Pro.

The GIMP - Hate this as well, but it's free.

For a low budget I would reccomend either Paint Shop Pro 7 or 8, but try out the GIMP first since it's free.

The GIMP works well, but it's much more obtuse than Photoshop. I've tried it, but since I have access to Photoshop, I didn't bother getting past the learning curve.

Photoshop Elements is a good alternative as well. It offers a lot of the same functionality as PS, without the hefty price tag. There's a lot of stuff you CAN'T do with it, but most things you need (levels, color, resize, text, layers, etc.) is done very nicely.

Another option is educational pricing. If you have a friend or family member who is either in college or works at one, you can have them buy full version software at greatly reduced rates. I know PS isn't quite as good of a discount as Final Cut Pro (90% discount), but it's still quite a bit less.

There's a book, "Grokking the Gimp", that I've seen recommended. It can be read for free on-line. The main site is down at the moment, but you can find it here.

I've never read it, so I can't tell you how good it is. But judging from the Table of Contents and the preface, it appears to be aimed at taking you from "I've never used the Gimp before" to "Oh, I get how to do that now. And that. And that."

Thanks for that link. I'm trying to do as much of my computer work as I can on SuSE 9.0, but even after fiddling with GIMP in previous versions of Red Hat, I'm not getting anywhere. SuSE's smart enough to talk to my camera, and I would love to be able to bypass the re-boot into Windoze.