kristof65

28mm Sci-Fi Skirmish Games?

On 12/12/2017 at 3:39 PM, kristof65 said:

I haven't looked specifically at Imperial Assault, but FFG's X-Wing was too big of a money pit for me - I presumed that Imperial Assault would be no different. 

Nevermind, was going to recommend Star Wars Legion, but that's not really a skirmish game

Edited by Dalth

One of the guys I play Bolt Action with bought the Gates of Antares starter and I picked up the rulebook the other day.  

It seems to be a very nice set of rules (I kind of wish the second edition of Bolt Action stole more ideas from it) even if none of the factions aesthetics really grab me.

Received Rogue Stars yesterday. Looks nice, but as stated here, no vehicle rules.   I like Andrea's games, and it looks like his long promised Harder Than Steel rules might fit the bill, but it looks like it's starting to rival CAV2 in terms of "soon". 

I am finding that a) I can't really find what I want and b) there appear to be no other experienced players of anything in my area anyway, so i'm likely going to be building a group of novice players with no expectations of their own.  

It occurred to me that I might as well resurrect one of my long abandoned mini game rule projects of my own. With the publishing tools and short run printing services available to me now, I can produce a home brew game that looks just as polished as many professional projects (assuming I can make it balanced).  And it really doesn't matter that we're playing a home brew as long as all the players are having fun, right? 

The big challenge is going to be properly play-testing it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

The big challenge is going to be properly play-testing it. 

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been working on a sci-fi adaption of 5e for my players. I'd love to just play Starfinder but I'm the only one willing to buy a copy of the book, so that's not happening. 

On the bright side you're really just looking for vehicle rules. If I was you I'd use Rogue Stars for the game and then just adapt a set of vehicle rules from another game.

As you said, aside from the vehicle rules Rogue Stars looks good so using that as a starting point would cut out a lot of work. Then if you use another games vehicle rules there's even less to do. This would also cut down on a lot of your play testing. Instead of designing and testing a new system all you'd really need to do is check that your vehicle rules are compatible. 

That's what I would do in your shoes. If you want to design something from the ground up you can, it just takes a lot of time, patience, and hard work. Since you sound like you just want a game that checks all of your boxes for yourself and your players you don't have to create anything from the ground up.

12 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

Instead of designing and testing a new system...

Except I have a system already 50% designed on paper and 80-90% designed and refined in my head.  And some of the basics have already been play-tested.  i just have to find my old notes - I saw them when we moved 10 months ago, so I know they're around. 

Back in the day when 40k pissed us off with 3e, my best friend and I were going to publish our own game.  Even started a company to do so. Got the game half written before we abandoned it in favor of a couple of other projects. That was before the ease of self publishing and Kickstarter, and we never did manage to raise enough funds to get anything published. Then I got divorced and moved, and things dissolved. 

With the plethora of things that have come out since then, I was thinking that it wouldn't be worth ever revisiting again, but now I'm thinking that's changed.  Especially since the goal isn't to have something publishable, but just to have something that works for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

One of the guys I play Bolt Action with bought the Gates of Antares starter and I picked up the rulebook the other day.  

It seems to be a very nice set of rules (I kind of wish the second edition of Bolt Action stole more ideas from it) even if none of the factions aesthetics really grab me.

I picked up both the introductory set and the starter set about a week ago at 50% off and 70% off respectively. Looking forward to giving it a go, but it does look very promising.

9 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I really like the GoA aesthetic, got the rulebook & both Algoryn & Isorians. Alas it failed to even put a dent in the local gamer base...

Damon.

4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Except I have a system already 50% designed on paper and 80-90% designed and refined in my head.  And some of the basics have already been play-tested.

In that case you should probably finish that system. If you do I'd be very interested in seeing it, I'm always on the lookout for new systems.

I find I like to learn a lot of systems when I'm trying to come up with something new or different. For what I'm currently working on I'll be pulling things from 5e, Frostgrave, Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago, Song of Blades and Heroes (both advanced and basic), and Savage Worlds.

• Like 1

Have you looked into FUBAR ? 

One page of rules for any force you want to use ... solid but basic system, but no point system for building your force thou so you'll have to balance scenarios yourself ... or make your own point system as I did.

23 hours ago, Boaz said:

Have you looked into FUBAR ? 

One page of rules for any force you want to use ... solid but basic system, but no point system for building your force thou so you'll have to balance scenarios yourself ... or make your own point system as I did.

I've got a very mature and tested version of FUBAR with a points system I'd be happy to share. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6HUGmJgXqKHXzBUc2FaQU5vZms

• Like 2

So I stalled on doing my own rule-set (again), and right before I went to pick it back up, I heard about Renegade Scout by Nordic Weasel. I don't recall seeing it last year when I checked out Nordic Weasel's other games.    Picked up Renegade Scout a few days ago, and I think it might be pretty much what I'm looking for.  It's a Retro-Clone of the original 40k Rogue Trader. 

It hits my major points -

• it's currently available (and since it's a PDF, I can share it if it ever becomes not available)
  • it's not a money pit (I bought everything currently available for it, and spent less than a Reaper order with free shipping)
  • it looks like it can handle multi-sided scenarios easily
  • it's not an I-Go, U-go turn sequence
  • it has vehicles
  • so far it's been pretty easy to stat up my own minis to it. 

It has some bonuses, too - there are a lot of optional rules aimed at narrative games, like scenario generators and character advancement rules. 

The biggest downside I've seen to it so far is that the guy who is Nordic Weasel needs some better layout software and/or graphic design skills.  I'm willing to forgive that, though, because he appears to be a pretty decent game designer. 

• Like 5