Sophie was taken

77077 Finari, Female Paladin

I was in the mood to try out some metallics, and the victimsubject this time was Finari (apologies for the subpar pics):

09814790-600A-4594-BBAB-3D6EE4CA739D.jpeg.41d1bb3c0e7ca32392f1413c770a8caa.jpeg

3CF1BE7D-33A1-4381-8BD0-98CE3E5C6C00.jpeg.d0a6800f607d6aea027de177cd88a8a3.jpeg

A125E642-A9BA-405A-8731-DE70EB381151.jpeg.3c453fbd00fdc5cb0dc30ba3ddcab610.jpeg

There were some issues with this sculpt. Most of her face was offset a couple millimeters forward, so there was an odd bump to one side. Additionally, her left foot has a large chunk that just isn’t there, just below the sword. These I hid as best I could.

For the majority of her armor, I mixed three parts Royal Purple with one part Honed Steel. Compared to some other combinations I’ve tried out lately, this ended up being a nice metallic while keeping close to the base color.

Rivets and ornamentation were done in Antique Gold with New Gold highlights. Not pleased with how splotchy the breastplate turned out, however.

There was one detail that still eludes me. You can see in the rear view a lump of some sort next to her shield. It isn’t part of her arm or any bit of armor that I’m aware of, so I made it into a...brownish leather thing. 

C&C appreciated, armor isn't something I’ve done much of and I need to get better at it.

• Like 15

looks good. I love this sculpt, it is really too bad the Bones molds do that to her face...I had the same issue.

the brown lump covering her left buttock is a belt pouch, so you did well in making it brown leather.

For the yellow metals, they look nice, but you can go higher with the highlights and use a brown transparent glaze to shade, just as you would with nonmetallics. My golds usually go up to a silver metallic at the highest, and opaque brown at the darkest end.Your purple armor can do the same thing, but I think could use even more metallic to sell the shine.

remember that metal isn't shiny where light isn't hitting it, so the shadows should not have any glitter in the paint.

Also, don't forget to basecoat with regular paint before putting down metallics! A different undercoat can really change the personality of a metallic paint, because most metallics are fairly translucent aside from the sparkly flakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      A couple more of my recent tabletop paints.  Female on the left in gold and red came out of Bones 4.  She is in a leaning pose.  The one on the right is Deladrin, female assassin, roughly painted as a catfolk rogue.  Both figures were done with a traditional basecoat, drybrush and wash/ink technique. I did some NMM for the swords. 

• By Inarah
      This I a quick tabletop paint job (about 2 hours) I did for a fellow player.  She plays a cleric with a holy glowing sword and has a number of light spells, so I went with a gold and yellow scheme.  Base coated the figure with red liner, which has a nice red-brown color to it, and did a quickie drybrush over that for the armor.  I am really pleased by how her face came out.  The character believes there is no redemption for evil, and so I've nicknamed her Sister Mary Kill-Them-All. 

• By Maledrakh
      I have not really had the inclination to paint much the last few weeks, such is the way of the world.
      Picking up the brush again, we start with another one from the first Bones kickstarter that as been cluttering up my painting desk in a half-done state since whenever.

The obligatory comparison shot.

77165 Hellakin Gorecutter, Halfling Rogue
      Reaper Miniatures, Bones 1 KS 2012
      Sculpted by Werner Klocke
      Bonesium PVC.
      25mm bespoke 3D printed round lipped base
      available from reapermini.com
    • By Metalchaos
      02757, Gastaroth the Vampire sculpted by Werner Klocke riding a 02739, Dire Bat sculpted by Jason Wiebe.
      I changed the blades of his two swords for new ones from the 02455, Weapons Pack IV, by Werner Klocke.

• By Maledrakh
      Thank you @Xiwo Xerase for naming this mini.  It is in the reapermini.com shop, turns out it just does not have "elf" as a search term...

I thought this elf was female, but no. That is elves for you. In any case, gender really does not matter anyway for most things other than procreation. (edit: ze has swapped gender from metal version to the bones version, and is now sold as "Elf Heroine" in bones and "Vale Swordsman Elven Grunt" in metal.)

Some Elf with a sword  77409 Fiara, Elf Heroine
      Reaper Miniatures, Bones 3 KS 2015, Core set
      Sculpted by Werner Klocke
      Bonesium PVC
      25mm bespoke 3D-printed base
      I could not find this one in Bones at reapermini.com so I do not know what it is supposed to be called or what it's code is.
      Has it been discontinued or is it just an oversight? Was it ever released to retail in Bones? It is available in metal though.

• Who's Online   38 Members, 2 Anonymous, 171 Guests (See full list)