Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

Wizards, by Ralph Bakshi

OMFG!

Jan 25, 2012, 10:00 AM - Necron 99 Assassin from "Wizards"#1

I just finished this commisioned build for an old high school friend who is also a very talented space model builder. This is a resin cast sculpted by Raven Hood, and the detail is just superb. You don't see these (or the movie) very often!
229.jpg
231.jpg
224.jpg
241.jpg
246.jpg
223.jpg
I NEED one of these....

• Like 7

Someday I need to make a list of the movies I still need to track down on dvd... I'm not actually sure I've got any Bakshi on dvd anymore, and then there's all the other good ones by other folks, Light Years, Plague Dogs, Watership Down, etc., etc. etc....

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

Never heard of this before today. Not really my cup of tea from the 2 minute preview that you posted up in the beginning of the thread. 

• Like 2

Just now, Aryanun said:

Wizards, elves, fairies, nazi mutants, magic, guns, swords, axes...

And Mark Hamill. ^_^

I'm not a fan of the style of the animation. Maybe when I was a kid I would've enjoyed it, but as an adult it doesn't appeal to me. I can see that others would love it tho, not knocking it, just stating it's not my type of thing. ::D:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Never heard of this before today. Not really my cup of tea from the 2 minute preview that you posted up in the beginning of the thread. 

12 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

Wizards, elves, fairies, nazi mutants, magic, guns, swords, axes...

And Mark Hamill. ^_^

Think Gamma World Fighting against AD&D world and you will have an idea....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Wizards" is on my list of movies to rewatch.  My father was fond of it but I didn't care much for it when I saw it 20-ish years ago.  I'm curious to see if my opinion of it has changed.

• Like 1

In this vein, I really wish they would release a DVD or Blu Ray of the 1977 Hobbit that wasn't messed up. I'd buy it. 

• Like 1

I recall enjoying this movie when I first saw it, but I found it disappointing a few years ago when I re-watched it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loim said:

In this vein, I really wish they would release a DVD or Blu Ray of the 1977 Hobbit that wasn't messed up. I'd buy it. 

Pretty sure I have that hobbit on dvd...

4 hours ago, Loim said:

26 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Pretty sure I have that hobbit on dvd...

How is it messed up? ::(:

• Like 1

Um, yeah... I have the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and Return Of The King. Only thing messed up about them of which I am aware is the voice cast of ROTK, which is the same as many animated cartoons of the eighties, which becomes sort of painful during the Battle Of Pellenor Fields, where if you close your eyes, it sounds like the casts of Super Friends and Scooby Doo battling Starscream and Cobra Commander. Aside from that, messed up how?

Wizards' visual style was lifted to some extent from Cobalt 60, by Vaughn Bode. The character of Necron 99/Peace was directly based on the same character, and Elinore looks much like any Bode Babe in anything Bode ever drew. 

I first saw the movie at a midnight showing somewhere around 1980, and loved it. Since then, I've noted a few cracks and peeling paint spots... the priests' comedy routine goes on too long, and whenever Susan Tyrell starts narrating, they quit using animation and start showing still storyboard scenes, apparently to save money, a trick they repeat whenever they show the Elf army waiting. That, and the extremely annoying trick of taking stock footage and rotoscoping animation over it, a trick they used for every shot of orcs in Bakshi's LOTR.

On the other hand, the "They've Killed Fritz!" scene remains an immortal classic, and whenever Bakshi can be bothered (or afford) to do actual original animation, it borders on brilliance. The character of Larry has popped up in three separate RPG campaigns I've run over the years; I have often felt that the sincerest form of flattery is plagiarism, at least as far as RPGs are concerned.

bode-cobalt-60.jpg

images.jpg.af917b2074bb3306ca1763f57bf72b12.jpg Larry and Weehawk share a moment.

EDIT: One of the funnier moments in one of those campaigns was when a player's girlfriend joined the game. It was her first RPG experience. She was tentative, but rather enjoyed the experience. And then Larry appeared out of nowhere, complete with miniature kitbashed from a lizardman and a short legged dinosaur toy, with a diaper to hide the join.

Larry promptly decided that she was his mother...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never understood the 'Bakshi's LoTR' hate, but it never fails to come up.  Always been a huge fan of Bakshi's animation, including all the rotoscopy, from the old Spiderman cartoon to Fritz and Wizards etc., on thru Cool World and everything in between.  <Shrug>.  IMO LoTR' is one of his best movies.

Defimitely 100X better than Rankin Bass's Tolkien movies.  Can we all agree on that at least?!

Kang