Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Show off might be a bit of a misnomer, I'm not the happiest with these guys, mostly putting this up for tips on what I could do better next time.

 

Paste from final post in  WIP thread:

 Alright "finished" with these guys. When I say "finished" I mean I'm overcoming my perfectionism to move on to something else because they're serviceable. Tried to use some speed painting techniques, but still took way too long, need to work on that. If anyone's got any tips on how I could have made them better without, layering/glazing/something else that takes forever, they would be much appreciated!

IMG_20171118_182444.jpg

IMG_20171118_182525.jpg

IMG_20171118_182544.jpg

IMG_20171118_182611.jpg

IMG_20171118_182621.jpg

IMG_20171118_182653.jpg

IMG_20171118_182716.jpg

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they look good!  

 

My only real thought is that maybe if you took some yellow and made a real thin glaze with it and the brushed it over them might help to blend the shadows and highlights. Also might help with some of the "grainy" look on the shadows. 

 

But like I said they look good and are definitely serviceable!  Great work!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

My only real thought is that maybe if you took some yellow and made a real thin glaze with it and the brushed it over them might help to blend the shadows and highlights. Also might help with some of the "grainy" look on the shadows. 

Yeah I thought about trying something like that but I didn't want to risk getting it too thick and having to spend more time washing and stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always great to see CW minis painted up! They look good. 

 

For tips on quality while maintaining speed, my plan for YS is:

Slobber mini in-

-Brown Liner

 

Drybrush going through these colors (haven’t picked specifics yes)

-Dark brown

-mid yellow

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Talae said:

For tips on quality while maintaining speed, my plan for YS is:

Slobber mini in-

-Brown Liner

 

Drybrush going through these colors (haven’t picked specifics yes)

-Dark brown

-mid yellow

Yeah I need to work on my drybrushing, everything I do always ends up grainy. I think I need a softer brush?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ThirstyBob said:

Yeah I need to work on my drybrushing, everything I do always ends up grainy. I think I need a softer brush?

 

Drybrushing - use an older dedicated brush, it will kill a brush.

 

As for the grainy, prep and prime the figure properly.

Use thin paint, wipe off almost all paint on a sponge or paper, slightly brush over the mini, this way you will paint the ridges/edges/surface of the mini.

 

You might be using too dry paint to start with. Drybrushing means your brush has almost no paint on it. Not that it is dry paint.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

You might be using to dry paint to start with. Drybrushing means your brush has almost no paint on it. Not that it is dry paint.

I am actually, i don't wet the brush or anything. One of the youtube tutorials i found said to do that. Hm thanks for the tip that will probably help!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you're going to laugh - my only critique would be the books are blank :P

 

seriously though if you have a micron pen they're *awesome* for writing on tiny stuffs like that, you could do some cultist stuff in there =D

 

Otherwise I really think you're being too hard on yourself! They look good

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Guildenstern said:

you're going to laugh - my only critique would be the books are blank :P

 

seriously though if you have a micron pen they're *awesome* for writing on tiny stuffs like that, you could do some cultist stuff in there =D

 

Otherwise I really think you're being too hard on yourself! They look good

Thanks man, I appreciate it :D I know I was thinking about that but it's just too much effort to put in on a tabletop quickpaint job commission. Maybe if they were mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...