Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

Ral Partha Shadowrun Feathered Serpent 10-861 (all metal)

Recommended Posts

So back in October 2017, the night before my first trip to Reapercon, I happened to be on eBay.ca and randomly stumbled across a Ral Partha Shadowrun Feathered Serpent listed by a seller located in Canada.  Being the more unusual all-metal variant, the vast majority of them being resin and Ralidium, it caught my interest.  Especially being in Canada, because eBay's global shipping program really ramps up shipping costs so it killed my ability to buy from US sellers except at dire need.  However, as I needed all of my hoarded money for ReaperCon and travel expenses, I couldn't buy it right then, so I added it to my watch list.  Then I went to ReaperCon and forgot all about it.

 

Shortly after I came back home, very exhausted, I fell asleep on my couch with the 1st Edition AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide on my face and woke up around 8 pm.  For some reason I felt compelled to check my email, and there was an "item ending soon" notice.  So, with 5 minutes to spare, I bought it. 

 

Now... my life is weird.  Not really super weird, it's just that for some reason my reality operates on the premise of "why do something normal when you can add a weird subplot?"   And so it is here, because I discovered that this all-metal beastie was made of lead.  I had heard of all-metal Feathered Serpents, but always assumed they were later lead-free production on account of Partha's resin experiment going drastically awry and being unpopular with customers.  I had never heard of a lead version, and if asked before getting one I would have guessed such a thing didn't exist.  So I had a mystery!

 

To solve this mystery, I needed information.  So I started at the first logical place - Lost Minis Wiki, hoping maybe there was a clue to be had.  Well, imagine my surprise when the Feathered Serpent there not only resembled mine... it actually WAS mine!  The very casting I had in my hands! 

 

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Shadowrun_(Ral_Partha)#10-861

 

So!  Since this creature is presently recorded for posterity as the exemplar on what is currently one of the top resources for old miniatures, and as I am never one to turn away from a weird and convoluted tale, I decided that its long-overdue transition from box to beautiful should also be recorded for posterity.  So here we are, and here we go!

 

rpfsboxfront.JPG.2a9bc74fef85cb59987b8fada96aa962.JPG

 

rpfsbits.JPG.636eaeddef2339748f6b691d593a1f61.JPG

 

 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 72moonglum said:

So I'm hoping this means you're going to start painting it as well?

 

Yes, I bought this one hoping to do it in time so it could make into my "end of year" painting group shot as a nice addition.  Originally my intent was to do it in secret and reveal it as a surprise in that shot, but when my investigation into the lead question revealed it was the model featured on Lost Minis Wiki, I decided it needed to be documented.

 

If anyone is curious how I determined it was that exact model, I should note I peeled off the front sticker while trying to figure out why it was lead and before I went to LMW.  Once there I noticed that the blotted out "12" in "ages 12 years and up" on the front and back of the box looked awfully familiar, so I got mine and compared them.  It was done by hand with marker, and precisely matches.  In addition, the wear pattern on the box precisely matches up.  The LMW front of the box seems to show a streak mine doesn't (at least not in the picture in this thread), but that may have been an impermanent anomaly that later came off.  Given that a lead version is pretty rare to begin with, the odds of a lead version on LMW precisely matching the markings and wear detail on mine are so slim that I'm confident we can call it a match.  I may see if I can contact the uploader to ask questions, just to see if I can make it an unequivocal 100%. (and maybe also let them know what became of it)

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted the seller and the pics on lostminiswiki are indeed his uploads so, yep, 100% confirmed it's the same one.

 

That's neat, because I'm always curious about the history of these oop minis when they finally get to me to be brought to life.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always did like seeing this one in the RP catalogs back in the day. Nice to see it being worked on. Carry on!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the next step was to drybrush some pro paint shield brown to help bring it back up a bit, and then over this I did a light drybrush of coat d'arms festering brown:

 

basefester.JPG.d34cd0b46aced557567874c508b5e6b7.JPG

 

After looking it over to make sure it looked sufficiently random and gradiated, I then started using some Flames of War Colours of War shades as washes randomly placed all over.  Monty shade, bradley shade, rommel shade if you were curious - which translates to green, olive drab, yellow brown.  Because these are military colours that tend to the bland side, they make good stains for natural terrain.  This helps break up the monotony of drybrushing ground texture.  I don't generally use terrain materials on bases because my collection is part gaming and part museum - so I try to preserve the sculpted bases as they came and just paint them.

 

dirtwashes.JPG.655733ed0f93af0a090136e7e017ed9d.JPG

 

So I needed to drybrush again over this once it dried, and picked out one of my Reaper sample paints that was a light yellow-tan:

 

drytop.JPG.f633949adae42826463e12a68ad8c904.JPG

 

That's pretty decent looking vacant lot dirt.  So now to paint the assorted details.  I founf some bricks, which I painted with a mix of pro paint aged red brick and shield brown.  I found a machinegun vaguely resembling an MG 42 so I painted the metal parts with coat d'arms gun metal darkened with reaper brown liner, and painted the grip and stock with coat d'arms rat brown darkened with brown liner.  The concrete was reaper pro paint ash gray mixed with pro paint stone gray.  The broken asphalt was pro paint armor gray that will get a black wash later.  There was a motorbike wheel that I painted pro paint truesilver darkened with brown liner for the rim and straight bornw liner for the rubber bit.  There was a lumpy thing around the peg hole nearest the wheel that I didn't know what it was so I painted it troll flesh green. 

 

greeblies.JPG.5a415ae485ce13d97b11fee26f9a8431.JPG

 

I then lightly drybrush the concrete bits with pro paint stone gray, and then a light drybrush of pro paint dragon white.  This was so I could add some simple, fun graffiti to the more prominent center bit of concrete.  I don't know how much will be hidden by the dragon, but I expect most of it will be so it's mostly for colour.

 

graff01.JPG.3067515332740b74536c09a035aeac57.JPG

 

takwashere.JPG.65671790adfdf4ccc744f0e188ede507.JPG

 

 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

So the next step was to drybrush some pro paint shield brown to help bring it back up a bit, and then over this I did a light drybrush of coat d'arms festering brown:

 

basefester.JPG.d34cd0b46aced557567874c508b5e6b7.JPG

 

After looking it over to make sure it looked sufficiently random and gradiated, I then started using some Flames of War Colours of War shades as washes randomly placed all over.  Monty shade, bradley shade, rommel shade if you were curious - which translates to green, olive drab, yellow brown.  Because these are military colours that tend to the bland side, they make good stains for natural terrain.  This helps break up the monotony of drybrushing ground texture.  I don't generally use terrain materials on bases because my collection is part gaming and part museum - so I try to preserve the sculpted bases as they came and just paint them.

 

dirtwashes.JPG.655733ed0f93af0a090136e7e017ed9d.JPG

 

So I needed to drybrush again over this once it dried, and picked out one of my Reaper sample paints that was a light yellow-tan:

 

drytop.JPG.f633949adae42826463e12a68ad8c904.JPG

 

That's pretty decent looking vacant lot dirt.  So now to paint the assorted details.  I founf some bricks, which I painted with a mix of pro paint aged red brick and shield brown.  I found a machinegun vaguely resembling an MG 42 so I painted the metal parts with coat d'arms gun metal darkened with reaper brown liner, and painted the grip and stock with coat d'arms rat brown darkened with brown liner.  The concrete was reaper pro paint ash gray mixed with pro paint stone gray.  The broken asphalt was pro paint armor gray that will get a black wash later.  There was a motorbike wheel that I painted pro paint truesilver darkened with brown liner for the rim and straight bornw liner for the rubber bit.  There was a lumpy thing around the peg hole nearest the wheel that I didn't know what it was so I painted it troll flesh green. 

 

greeblies.JPG.5a415ae485ce13d97b11fee26f9a8431.JPG

 

I then lightly drybrush the concrete bits with pro paint stone gray, and then a light drybrush of pro paint dragon white.  This was so I could add some simple, fun graffiti to the more prominent center bit of concrete.  I don't know how much will be hidden by the dragon, but I expect most of it will be so it's mostly for colour.

 

graff01.JPG.3067515332740b74536c09a035aeac57.JPG

 

takwashere.JPG.65671790adfdf4ccc744f0e188ede507.JPG

 

 

TAK????

 

Does she know about this????:blink:

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that this is Shadowrun, there could be a significant conspiracy behind who TAK really is.  Are they a slicer trying to gain notoriety? Some rigger experimenting with a graffiti equipped drone.  Just some poor ganger with too much time on their hands.

 

Doesn't really matter until someones paying us to find out.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, knarthex said:

TAK????

 

Does she know about this????:blink:

 

The newcomer is a pretty big metal beastie, so maybe another big metal beastie wants to make sure the newbie knows whose turf this is.

 

3 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Given that this is Shadowrun, there could be a significant conspiracy behind who TAK really is.  Are they a slicer trying to gain notoriety? Some rigger experimenting with a graffiti equipped drone.  Just some poor ganger with too much time on their hands.

 

Doesn't really matter until someones paying us to find out.

 

Judging from the base debris, somebody paid one of the Ork Boyz to go over an tag the Feathered Serpent's lot.  And from the looks of it, it didn't end well for the Ork.  That's a pretty bold move, and it might be worth something to a Corporate Dragon to find out who's making plays to control territory.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I'm utterly confused by a dragon having such modern debris on his base, but I do love that graffiti.

Shadowrun had a pretty good handful of dragons, despite being .. er.. okay, so Shadowrun is magical cyberpunk with a side order of mayhem. There are dragons, cyborgs - magic cyborgs - and more guns than a Texas gunshow. It's glorious. You should totally try it.

 

This, I'm looking forward to seeing the end point on; I hadn't even known there /was/ a Shadowrun dragon made, and now I am fascinated. So, PAINT ON! And we'll watch from the sidelines and provide interesting commentary. ^_^

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Texas gunshow

 

I. E. Saturday 

 

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

I hadn't even known there /was/ a Shadowrun dragon made,

 

Ral Partha made two boxed set dragons, the feathered serpent here, and another called The Corporate Dragon. 

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By 72moonglum
      Hello to all the forumites of this fine page!
       
      So just finished this set a few days ago, the Ral Partha Water Lords, sculpted by Jim Johnson I'm thinking in the nineties, even though as per always, I forgot to look at the date stamp at the bottom before I put them on their base.
       
      I can really only directly show one of these minis, because the other two are ladies with their aquatic lady parts floundering all over, so here's the first one:
       

       
      and here is then a link to the female aquatic elf:
       
      Female aquatic elf from the Water Lords
       
      If you were interested in seeing other angles (this is the one I put on the Lost Mini Wiki), you could check out on my Instagram account Moonglumsminis
       
      And here is the Water Elemental in this set, a really cool piece in my opinion, but once again, full of even more mammal parts than the lady elf:
       
      Water Elemental
       
      Also on my Instagram page is the back angle of this wet and wonderful woman!
       
      So it was very fun painting these guys, and I got to use a lot of my sea color paints from Reaper, which just don't get enough use these days.  For the elves, I wanted them to be kind of subdued colors, as if they were down in the deep blue sea, and then with the male elf's mount, I was kind of in a conundrum, do I also give him subdued colors, or do I do a more tropical color scheme to offset the pale elf colors?  In the end, I opted for the brighter tropical colors to give hopefully a bit more visual interest.  
       
      The whites I think as the highlights for the water come off "whiter" in the actual minis, wish that would translate a bit more in the photos, but I think they came out more or less decently.  
       
      Around this same time, Ral Partha also did some other "elemental" blister packs, they did a fire one, an air one, and an earth blister pack. They were all sculpted by Jim Johnson, one of the few sculptors I can never seem to find anything out about.  I'd previously painted a female djinn from the air set, but I think I'm going revisit them all to hopefully get them all done one of these days in the far-flung future.  And just as a final mention, you can get all of these elemental minis, the water ones and others, on the Iron Wind Metals web site.
       
      Anyhoos, enjoy and have a beautiful week of labor and painting (labor as work, not a week full of pre-partum pain)!

      Mark aka 72Moonglum
    • By Maledrakh
      Continuing with the random minis for now: Cavalry.

      Bones Cavalry that is. Over the course of 4 delivered kickstarters of Bones models, Reaper has released a total of 9 mounted models. (11 if you count the flying saucer from the Bones 2 Chronoscope Expansion and the chopper bike mounted Sophie (the one and only Bones KS model delivered in metal!) in the first Bones kickstarter.)

      Well, "mounted" is also a theme to use to get something painted, isn't it? And with 9 or 11 models to go for, it should be possible to get done in a timely manner.
      Here are the first pair of them that I have painted up.


      lots of pics beneath the 

    • By 72moonglum
      Hello Reaper brethren,
       
      So some more Shadowrun tonight, a Female Rigger with Pistol, sculpted by Jim Johnson, that enigmatic sculptor of yore.  I ended up really liking this figure, just general fun, and when I saw her shirt and coat, it reminded me a little bit of a Russian sailor, so tried some stripes on the t-shirt and some kind of dark blue peacoat.  I was really struggling to figure out what color I wanted her boots to be and almost made them bright yellow, but then calmed down and went for a redstone shadow base color.  I of course see all my imperfections and dots of dust but it seems that for the most part, once I've gotten to that part of taking pictures, unless I see something really gawdawful, I'm just not going to do any repainting or touching up.  So here she is in all her lilac haired glory:
       

       
      I took a lot of different angles because she's one of those not so flat figures, where just a front and back seem to be enough. As always, metals are torture, but if you don't keep trying to paint something you'll never get better, so just paint and paint again.
       
      So, enjoy!
       
       
    • By 72moonglum
      Good evening all you Reaper hooligans!
       
      So another figure finished, this time a Ral Partha Shadowrun Female Detective, sculpted by Dave Summers, probably latter eighties to early nineties.  Kind of difficult with the eyes because they were small little balls, but otherwise, pretty okay with how she turned out. Gun a little too blue, but probably won't ever fix that I'm guessing.  I kind of like this figure because she's from their Shadowrun line, but she could easily be any normal, modern detective gal. I tried to do very a mild colored blouse, pinkish, with a grey skirt and jacket.  This is also the first time I've worked on pantyhose, so let me know what you guys think. It was after painting her legs as normal skin color, I did some washes of first storm grey, then Dark elf skin shadow, and then finally black.
       

       
      Anyhow, let me know what y ou think about the pantyhose and hope you enjoy!
       
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...