Mierot

Mierot is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!

I need an excuse to get out of a painting rut, so challenge accepted!

The Dragon: Ebonwrath (because the Bones 3 dragons are not yet in the online store)

Let the randomness begin. The fates have selected:

rolls.png.6106743cd237b76c641307cc35e38c70.png

Primary color: Cloudy Grey (16)

Secondary color: Lemon Yellow (5)

Tertiary color: Orange Brown (4)

Oh my. I'll have to think about this one. With those colors, I'll go all in with the three star challenge. Why not... ::P:

Edited by Mierot
  • Like 4

On 11/29/2017 at 8:03 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Good way to get out of a rut! Good luck!

Thanks!

002.jpg.af17098196e7597d9f8db478e3764eea.jpg

I had only a couple opportunities to work with the dragon this past week. With a few dips in hot water and then an ice water bath (she must be a Roman dragon), the ever-so-straight wings are now curved and glued onto the body, along with the head. I decided to experiment a bit and, instead of my normal green stuff, I used some milliput to fill in the wing gaps and to smooth over the head join. Once it cures and dries I'll sand any rough areas away.

• Like 4

There is paint on my dragon!

I decided to sketch in the basic colors to help me later on in the process. So far only the core three of cloudy gray, lemon yellow, and orange brown are there. I'll primarily be using the black and white to change values, especially with the large expanses of gray.

003.jpg.fce07c307835989ab68901f3720d3ae4.jpg

004.jpg.9c785167d2819c490221c6904c02dac5.jpg

• Like 4

I'm painting (very) slow these days. Hopefully when it warms up outside my painting area will also be warmer.

Using pure black and pure white to help work the values, I started blending the cloudy gray into the lemon yellow. The highest yellow is pure lemon yellow at this point, while the deepest shadows are cloudy grey with quite a bit of pure black. I may go darker, especially between the scales.

006.thumb.jpg.a55c69e1e88462b21755109a83b37b14.jpg

008.jpg.74179aff1a57a67c67dec022d92c74db.jpg

007.jpg.32fddb47348ca5d54aace05fd4086a05.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for the encouragement!

Today's progress: the initial blending on the top of the wings. Since the wings are such a large surface, I ended up painting fairly rapidly, working wet-on-wet with medium paint dilution and lots of mixing both on my wet palette and on the model. Colors involved were cloudy gray, cloudy gray mixed with various amounts of pure black, lemon yellow, and lemon yellow mixed perhaps 50/50 with cloudy gray.

I remembered to take a picture halfway through to help illustrate where the blends started and ended. Some of the orange just peeks through.

010.thumb.jpg.f65ee311c0087eb6525d7da706e24301.jpg 

And both wings with their first blends.

011.thumb.jpg.b8d3ec2aa5881fd4019598601c2475e2.jpg

More work is needed to clean up some transition areas and bring more lemon yellow and spot of orange back in for the highest highlights, but I'm pleased with where this is going. The bone areas also need plenty of work. I'll see you soon, Ebonwrath.

• Like 5

After wrapping up a band of gnolls that I need for tonight's gaming session, I almost started a new figure. Ebonwrath raised her head, looked me in the eye, and said nothing. So I dutifully cleaned my palette, washed my brushes, and got back to work. I'm declaring her done. I created a show off thread with pics.

012.jpg

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NomadZeke
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84371-2019-rpchallenge-questionsannouncements/
      All the information you need should be here.

As usual, the new format holds a "hard mode" challenge!

July and August 2019 Challenge

Your challenge is: 9!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      Independence Day! Both Canada and the US celebrate their independence days in July. Keeping it clean - paint a mini that resembles the most absurd stereotype of the country, whether it's a lumberjack riding a moose with a jug of maple syrup, or a fat dude in a scooter with the american flag and a big mac.  Or something from the film Independence Day, that works too.

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      August 22nd is National Spumoni day. 3-layered Gelato dish. Paint any mini in a themed pallet around your choice image of said dish.

Hard Mode Challenge! Eruption
      Also in August is the fabled eruption of Pompeii. A full-size diorama is a but much to ask - but instead theme a mini around trying to escape the eruption (lava flows, flying chunks of rock, etc) particularly utilizing the OSL and an ashen look.

As always, the game is made up and the points don't matter!
    • By Zanderina
      Hello all! 

I started this challenge awhile ago and procrastinated because lack of base, but now it is done! 

Please enjoy! 
      -Zanderina 

• By TGP
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84371-2019-rpchallenge-questionsannouncements/
      All the information you need should be here.

As usual, the new format includes "hard mode" challenge options!

May and June 2019 Challenge

Your challenge is: 8!

Bonus Challenge: The 1st!
      Paint a mini themed around ...The Frozen North!  (Yup, Winter in a Summer month. In honor of:  James Clark Ross, the first European to reach the North Magnetic Pole, June 1st 1831.) Polar Bears, Frostgravers, Seals, Yetis, US Navy SEALS in winter kit, Snow Apes, Winter Foxes, Dire Penguins, Snow Leopards, Tiger Tanks in winter Camo, White Tigers, Frost Giants, Winter Terrain ...are all good. 

Bonus Challenge: The 2nd!
      Join the Painting Binge next weekend. Hard Mode: knock out the basic 8 during the Binge. Details: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86220-memorial-day-paint-binge-challenge-2019/

Bonus Challenge: The 3rd!
      The third time pays for all. If there was a Bonus Theme from earlier this year that you wanted to do but missed; go back, find it, and give it a go! Post the theme Rules with the link please.

Bonus Challenge: The 4th!
      The Fourth was with us earlier in May. Paint up some sort of mini as a Stars Wars character, background extra, droid, or spacecraft. Harder mode: Do some conversion work on the model first. (Add a light saber, swap a sword to a blaster, cobble together a ship from random objects Froggcident-style...)

As always, the game is made up and the points don't matter!

• By Zanderina
      Hello all! 

@Echoside_ challenged me to do this! 

I attached the colors that were rolled and a pic of the dragon lined. Sorry for the short post,  but it serves purposes. 

Cheers! 
      -Z

• By Echoside_
      I, Echoside, will be undergoing this awesome challenge as my Dragon and paints have arrived from Denton.  

I have chosen the victim of Kyphrixis, The Copper Dragon for this 3-star challenge.  Will be using green and red liner to prime.

My rolls:

So after his bath, it was picture time!

I think he will end up being a Strawberry Dragon! 
      First off, I sorry for the Cut/Paste first post, but it was fitting.

Secondly, Kai (the moniker I've given to him) got himself primed up and ready for more layers while out at a miniature painting event at a local gaming store.  Such a splendid way to start the challenge. 

I bathed the base unit in Sepia Liner, as I don't believe the base was to be done strictly in the color scheme of the dragons.  Kai himself was bathed in the Red liner, which is very purple if you ask my eyes.   The wing membranes were done in the Green Liner.  I'm hoping for some interesting undershading effects once the 3 primary colors start to roll on.  

I've blocked out in my head what scales are going to be which shades and such, I'm just hoping I have the skills to bring whats in my head out on the dragon himself.  But without further ado, picture time!

• Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)