Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Got another one of these simple townsfolk done. I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling. They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going. Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.
* Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
* Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood. Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
* Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.
* I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance. Not bad.
* Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it. Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.
* I really want to learn how to wood grain. I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.
* I also am not a fan of this guy's skin. I still don't get how to use the triads really well. Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character. It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern. Could use direction here if anyone is open.
* Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe. Meh.
* The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much. Almost look washed out. Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.
For basing this guy - open to ideas. I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated. I'll do whatever someone suggests first.
Took a shot at the ol OSL.
This model is from my youth that I'd always been afraid to paint because i didn't want to mess it up. Years later, now I feel like my skills are better and it was worth a shot. Not only did I take a shot, I did it with a real challenge applied to it. I was either going to mess it up - or REALLY mess it up.
* Using the colors red and purple seem very wizardly. Felt like a strong combo and happy with it.
* The OSL I did was using a dry brush and sweeping it from the main source and only moving in that direction.
* After the initial area had been 'zoned' I went in and brought up the colors further. I had a difficult time identifying what would be lit or not.
* The highlight on the face is way too much. I wanted a light cast to it, but Iwasn't thinking like sitting in front of the sun. Help.
* What colors to use for bringing up a light source? I was thinking some kind of fire getting cast away. I went Orange, Yellow, White, but only hitting white up close and fading to deeper colors farther from the source.
* The shading in the cape and undercape - I didn't do anything but feel it does need something. Does it look strange without it?
If I were to base this one, I'm wondering how I can really knock this light effect out on the base, too. I may end up just leaving this as is and thinking fondly of it as a first attempt at OSL. I also think having taken a challenge piece from my childhood and honoring it with something fun to do in my adulthood felt...redeeming.
Hello everyone, now that the event is over, here are some more pictures of my entry in the 17th Quarterly contest. A big thanks to everybody that voted for me. This is a 77752, Female Minotaur sculpted by Jason Wiebe. It was a fun model to work on and I challenged myself painting object source lighting (OSL) on it. I made the fire with pieces of popsicle stick and Liquitex heavy gel medium.
Got another one to submit, but still needs its base. Mr. Monk here was a pretty fast shot. I tried to keep colors as simple as possible (which may or may not have been left over colors from my owl bear I did) to just keep the paint moving.
* Used a flat flesh color with the simple Reikland Flesh shade wash. Combo worked well, but dude looks a little...odd. Will have to add more warmth next time.
* Brown hues and simplicity of the scheme helped.
* Really enjoying doing townsfolk because of the limited details I need to get into.
* Hair felt much better this time. Going with a dark brown, up to a mid brown, then highlight in the ridge of the hairline.
* @Inarah I used your method on rope on his belt. Worked!
* Playing with flesh tones and how to raise the contrast is very difficult for me. Without making it look...fake. I keep trying to find easier ways to do it, but I think it's just gotta invest to get the best results.
* Cape volumes didn't really pop. I was hoping for more depth in the contrast, but it didn't show through and I wasn't willing to push it further after a few failed attempts.
* Painting with bone white or ivory continue to plague me. Multiple layers needed because of the chalky pigment density. Anyone got a solve for this?
For a base, I'm thinking of including some kind of cross or something behind him. We'll see. I found some pretty nifty little wood engraved sets at Dollar Tree (loving that place more and more these days) that will work perfect. Speaking of which, I have a demon hunter I haven't based yet, that could use one of those, too. Hm...
Finally varnished and ready for the table: Sepp, Brunhilde and Urs.
I painted them up to kick off my Rangers of Shadow Deep Project. More infos and a bit of backstory can be found in this WIP.
Those three are my first attempt at OSL. Luckily, I did not have to make this journey alone: I'd like to thank @Geoff Davis for a great class at RVU and an even better private lesson via zoom.
Enjoy, C&C very welcome!
Who's Online 23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)