Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cyradis

Angry, Cheerful.... Psychotic? A very confusing cleric.

Recommended Posts

Yes, the facial expression is very interesting. Not totally sure what to make of it myself, but very well done. It is definitely not frowning angry. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OSL looks nice!

 

If you want to reduce the "psycho" eye effect, I think you could take your eye-liner color and make the bottom of the eyes less round, then go back with your skin and clean up.

 

Basically, if the eyes are currently football shaped, make them either half-footballs or even crescents (horns down, obv.) and it will give a more smiley effect. There's a reason smiling anime characters just get sideways "c" lines for eyes.

 

eta: the smiling mouth is actually pretty great, you did nice work getting that part of his expression changed!

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something about a Guy who looks THAT cheerful while carrying a torch & a sharp looking scythe. A WONDERFULLY expressive face on a BEAUTIFULLY painted creations...VERY WELL DONE!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your OSL and you did a good job making him looking...happier. The only thing for me is the eyes. The blue looks like vertical lines and not round to me. Also, I think there is too much white showing in the eyes. However, I also know that some of this is attributed to it being blown up in the pictures and in hand, it probably isn't even noticeable. Just me nit picking. The torch is also very well done!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sanael said:

OSL looks nice!

 

If you want to reduce the "psycho" eye effect, I think you could take your eye-liner color and make the bottom of the eyes less round, then go back with your skin and clean up.

 

Basically, if the eyes are currently football shaped, make them either half-footballs or even crescents (horns down, obv.) and it will give a more smiley effect. There's a reason smiling anime characters just get sideways "c" lines for eyes.

 

eta: the smiling mouth is actually pretty great, you did nice work getting that part of his expression changed!

 

I like that idea! I'm not going to redo it on this figure, but I'll keep this in mind for future figures. This is the first time I had to do much on expressions that wasn't sculpted in and fell into place with the paint. 

 

45 minutes ago, Pochi said:

I like your OSL and you did a good job making him looking...happier. The only thing for me is the eyes. The blue looks like vertical lines and not round to me. Also, I think there is too much white showing in the eyes. However, I also know that some of this is attributed to it being blown up in the pictures and in hand, it probably isn't even noticeable. Just me nit picking. The torch is also very well done!

 

You caught me! I often do somewhat vertical lines and pretend they are round. I'm working on that for better faces later. He does have a bunch of white in the eyes, more than usual. Probably doesn't help with his psychosis! The torch went together very fast. I just kept layering colors on top, often with drybrushing. Then I tossed some soot in there. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He turned out great!  I love the OSL!

 

His smile kind of reminds me of T2 when John Connor is teaching the Terminator to smile!  But it looks great especially knowing what you had to start with!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it a lot actually!

The clothes are spot on!

 

The only thing a bit off are indeed the eyes.

One trick is NOT to use white, but use a more Off-White like Bleached Linen, Linen White, something that tends to look like white but isn't as bright.

 

*** The guy is just having fun doing his job, someone has to burn those witches!!! Better have fun doing it! ***

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, that feeling when there are so many great minis and your player choose something you completely disagree with for their character ...

 

As others have mentioned, that OSL looks great! And to be fair, everyone smiling while handling a scythe would look psychotic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like it a lot actually!

The clothes are spot on!

 

The only thing a bit off are indeed the eyes.

One trick is NOT to use white, but use a more Off-White like Bleached Linen, Linen White, something that tends to look like white but isn't as bright.

 

*** The guy is just having fun doing his job, someone has to burn those witches!!! Better have fun doing it! ***

 

 

 

The whites of his eyes are linen white. I only used pure white for the tiny reflection dot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

 

The whites of his eyes are linen white. I only used pure white for the tiny reflection dot. 

 

Then I guess it's the camera that makes them look brighter then they are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Then I guess it's the camera that makes them look brighter then they are.

 

Entirely possible. And I wasn't being all that careful with setup this time. I had the ringlight on 3/4. 2/4 brightness seemed slightly too dark last time. Maybe I will mix it up more and experiment next time. 

 

I do think others are right that I left too much white in the eyes. It may be more potentially "accurate" but it doesn't look quite right. Unless he actually is psychotic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyradis said:

 

Entirely possible. And I wasn't being all that careful with setup this time. I had the ringlight on 3/4. 2/4 brightness seemed slightly too dark last time. Maybe I will mix it up more and experiment next time. 

 

I do think others are right that I left too much white in the eyes. It may be more potentially "accurate" but it doesn't look quite right. Unless he actually is psychotic. 

 

I think a psychotic witchhunting  cleric would be fitting.

Just introduce him to witch or two and you're off!

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Kikkenass
      For your consideration I present my take on the Wizard’s Workshop. This piece was created in response to a challenge issued by a Twitch streamer that I follow. The challenge was themed Fatherly for Fathers Day 2020. I spent several hours searching for the right model until I came across this piece. Inspired by Alexi Z’s example on the Reaper website I decided to try OSL for the first time. (Using an airbrush is almost cheating lol) I wanted to find a unique base for this project and settled on the Shattered Ritual 100mm base by Secret Weapon Miniatures. In addition to the Wizard’s Workshop I also added 77318: Bookshelf, 77248: Crates (Large and Small) (2) and 77249: Large Barrel Small Barrel to the scene
       
      The Glowing effect was created by adding LIT Green Glow Pigment by Culture Hustle and mixing it with the acrylic paint and applying it with the airbrush. C&C welcome  



    • By Pineapple
      Pulled this guy out of the current round of the Box of Goodwill and painted him up over the course of two evenings. 
       

       

       

       
      I apologize for the low quality photos, but I've had such low drive to get pictures taken lately that I just wanted to break the ice and get the ball rolling.
    • By Neptune1999
      This model is a Dark Sword Miniatures masterpiece of a sculpt by Jeff Grace. Never before have I seen so many tiny etchings on plate armor, especially on a figure that is barely 1.6 inches high. I feel a bit let down by my red OSL, but then again, this was only my second real attempt at the process, which is surely one I need to practice more. 


    • By lexomatic
      I am painting up Reaper's townsfolk jock chick and nerd set for gaming.
      "Chick" first due to request.
      Hair and shoes basecoat


      Shoe colour is spectral glow and peacock green 1:1
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...