Sign in to follow this  
Cyradis

Angry, Cheerful.... Psychotic? A very confusing cleric.

Yes, the facial expression is very interesting. Not totally sure what to make of it myself, but very well done. It is definitely not frowning angry. 

• Like 3

OSL looks nice!

If you want to reduce the "psycho" eye effect, I think you could take your eye-liner color and make the bottom of the eyes less round, then go back with your skin and clean up.

Basically, if the eyes are currently football shaped, make them either half-footballs or even crescents (horns down, obv.) and it will give a more smiley effect. There's a reason smiling anime characters just get sideways "c" lines for eyes.

eta: the smiling mouth is actually pretty great, you did nice work getting that part of his expression changed!

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 4

There is something about a Guy who looks THAT cheerful while carrying a torch & a sharp looking scythe. A WONDERFULLY expressive face on a BEAUTIFULLY painted creations...VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 3

I like your OSL and you did a good job making him looking...happier. The only thing for me is the eyes. The blue looks like vertical lines and not round to me. Also, I think there is too much white showing in the eyes. However, I also know that some of this is attributed to it being blown up in the pictures and in hand, it probably isn't even noticeable. Just me nit picking. The torch is also very well done!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sanael said:

OSL looks nice!

If you want to reduce the "psycho" eye effect, I think you could take your eye-liner color and make the bottom of the eyes less round, then go back with your skin and clean up.

Basically, if the eyes are currently football shaped, make them either half-footballs or even crescents (horns down, obv.) and it will give a more smiley effect. There's a reason smiling anime characters just get sideways "c" lines for eyes.

eta: the smiling mouth is actually pretty great, you did nice work getting that part of his expression changed!

I like that idea! I'm not going to redo it on this figure, but I'll keep this in mind for future figures. This is the first time I had to do much on expressions that wasn't sculpted in and fell into place with the paint. 

45 minutes ago, Pochi said:

I like your OSL and you did a good job making him looking...happier. The only thing for me is the eyes. The blue looks like vertical lines and not round to me. Also, I think there is too much white showing in the eyes. However, I also know that some of this is attributed to it being blown up in the pictures and in hand, it probably isn't even noticeable. Just me nit picking. The torch is also very well done!

You caught me! I often do somewhat vertical lines and pretend they are round. I'm working on that for better faces later. He does have a bunch of white in the eyes, more than usual. Probably doesn't help with his psychosis! The torch went together very fast. I just kept layering colors on top, often with drybrushing. Then I tossed some soot in there. 

• Like 4

He turned out great!  I love the OSL!

His smile kind of reminds me of T2 when John Connor is teaching the Terminator to smile!  But it looks great especially knowing what you had to start with!

• Like 3

I like it a lot actually!

The clothes are spot on!

The only thing a bit off are indeed the eyes.

One trick is NOT to use white, but use a more Off-White like Bleached Linen, Linen White, something that tends to look like white but isn't as bright.

*** The guy is just having fun doing his job, someone has to burn those witches!!! Better have fun doing it! ***

• Like 3

Oh yeah, that feeling when there are so many great minis and your player choose something you completely disagree with for their character ...

As others have mentioned, that OSL looks great! And to be fair, everyone smiling while handling a scythe would look psychotic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like it a lot actually!

The clothes are spot on!

The only thing a bit off are indeed the eyes.

One trick is NOT to use white, but use a more Off-White like Bleached Linen, Linen White, something that tends to look like white but isn't as bright.

*** The guy is just having fun doing his job, someone has to burn those witches!!! Better have fun doing it! ***

The whites of his eyes are linen white. I only used pure white for the tiny reflection dot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

The whites of his eyes are linen white. I only used pure white for the tiny reflection dot. 

Then I guess it's the camera that makes them look brighter then they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Then I guess it's the camera that makes them look brighter then they are.

Entirely possible. And I wasn't being all that careful with setup this time. I had the ringlight on 3/4. 2/4 brightness seemed slightly too dark last time. Maybe I will mix it up more and experiment next time. 

I do think others are right that I left too much white in the eyes. It may be more potentially "accurate" but it doesn't look quite right. Unless he actually is psychotic. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cyradis said:

Entirely possible. And I wasn't being all that careful with setup this time. I had the ringlight on 3/4. 2/4 brightness seemed slightly too dark last time. Maybe I will mix it up more and experiment next time. 

I do think others are right that I left too much white in the eyes. It may be more potentially "accurate" but it doesn't look quite right. Unless he actually is psychotic. 

I think a psychotic witchhunting  cleric would be fitting.

Just introduce him to witch or two and you're off!

• Haha 1