Cyr Paints for Secret Sophie - Spoilers Ahead

You've been warned. Don't look if you don't want to know what can go in a Secret Sophie box. 

I didn't realize flesh could have so many colors - but I've used a lot of bottles and spontaneous mixes so far. 

20171120_194901.thumb.jpg.7fea5af4d2ce49386b65a1152063552e.jpg20171120_194856.thumb.jpg.5edec752de4d245079fac32e6e782ba3.jpg20171120_194851.thumb.jpg.b8cb247a671080da83357bc99b6704d2.jpg20171120_194845.thumb.jpg.cb43177576bd2d73cd990ebe9bc5a4bd.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, NecroMancer said:

Bruce Lee? 

What is a Secret Sophie box?

Secret Sophie is the gift exchange I'm participating in. I intend to ship everything to my possibly unsuspecting target in a box :poke:

Perhaps put the name in spoilers, for sake of not potentially giving away what I'm painting to those who want to be surprised. But you got that on inspiration. Do his muscles look... muscly enough? 

• Like 1

Upped the highlight peaks to Hykey Yellow (scale 75). Added waist band and ankle cuffs. Colors look good together.... but also a bit ketchup/mustard. 

20171121_140635.jpg

20171121_140628.jpg

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 2

@Clearman I've been considering that, or patterning the waistband. I really like the shading on the pants, which makes me hesitate. I didn't go with black on the trim for sake of being more bright and colorful - which works.... the association of colors is the trouble. 

• Like 1

I brought the pants up to linen white at the highest points - just a touch. Decided to try freehand on the belt. Mixed results. Hair turned out well. Gave the person eyebrows too.

The piece is done except for signing and sealing. 

Not posting a Show Off until later though... for surprises sake. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      Better late than never.

Here's some fun Pumpkin Horrors I painted up for @Inarah for Secret Sophie this past December.  I was still riding on my Halloween spirit when Secret Sophie began, but wanted to do something that fit the winter theme.  Inspired by the snowman-like design of the Pumpkin horrors and my own past mistakes of leaving pumpkins outside to rot all winter, I decided to do a holiday mashup with these guys left out in the cold too long.

With some time having passed, I wish I would have made them look a bit rotten and frost-bitten, but I also like the more colorful result.

More Photos Below the Spoiler:

These were some fun minis and my first time working with metal.  I have now broken the seal and have started looking into other minis that I previously considered off-limits.  I also enjoyed participating in Secret Sophie and joining in to some of the forum shenanigans.  I highly recommend participating in these kinds of things for any who have been reticent.

What are some of your favorite holiday minis?
    • By Rat13
      Like most people minus a few games here and there with my wife I haven't played a proper wargame or skirmish game in quite awhile. My wife and I did start a Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago campaign awhile back but instead of an ongoing campaign it halted after a single game. As she usually steamrolls me in most games I understand why she prefers to wait until our usual group finally starts getting together again. I guess she just knows me too well, making me an easy opponent. As for myself I'd rather be playing, even if I always lose, but I can see how always winning could get boring (Not that I'd actually know). The need to play finally brought me around to solo games which I'd never tried before and here we are. On many recommendations I ended up with Rangers of Shadow Deep, which makes sense as its only a modified Frostgrave system with a bit more meat to it.

Before writing up my first experiences with the game however there is one problem I've found. Its nothing to do with the system itself instead it has to do with my own shortcomings. Apparently my terrain and miniature collection (especially when it comes to monsters) is amazingly lacking. Up until playing this first game I thought I had a fairly decent collection but I guess I was just fooling myself. My warband didn't even escape this oversight and ended up being the most ramshackle bunch of any of my armies/squads. With that warning out of the way here is my first game...

The first mission begins just after the destruction of a neighboring kingdom and the appearance of the Shadow Deep itself. The book describes this as a realm permanently covered in black clouds and filled with evil creatures. With the entire kingdom on high alert you are tasked with locating a missing Ranger that was investigating attacks on a nearby village.

As you approach the village you feel that something is wrong. Everything is too quiet and the village itself smells of recent death. You pass bodies lying in the dirt as you move into the village proper. As your group reaches the village square and is beginning to form search parties you hear a horrible moaning sound surrounding you.

Seems like a great place to start the actual game right, but there are still a couple last pieces of bookkeeping. First up is introducing my actual warband (you were warned they were an odd lot). 

Missing almost all of the necessary monsters I had to improvise.
      The modern zombies are filling in for fantasy zombies.
      The kobolds are filling in for giant rats.
      The skeletons are filling in for giant spiders.
      The three adventurers will be filling in for the village survivors.

As if that wasn't enough proxying I also had to proxy buildings with small wall sections. With the scenario needing houses with doors I selected center of the open area on each wall to act as the door. 

Starting out your warband is deployed in the center of the village represented here with the well. There are six different points of interest that may act as clues to the missing rangers whereabouts. As you can see four zombies and two giant rats are deployed around the village. Clue 1 was moved 6" closer to my Ranger as he passed a perception check prior to the game. 

With my first turn I started pairing my warband off attempting to reach all the clues. Going clockwise starting with my ranger (I'll be doing this going forward), he easily reached the first clue and managed to find a survivor (represented by the red wizard). Recruit 2 (The Ninja) managed to kill a zombie right off the bat. My arcanist (Oswald the overladen) started moving toward the clue inside the "house" while my knight (female half Orc) and hound (dog from a quarter machine) killed a giant rat. The archer (high elf archer) almost completely hidden by the well shot the zombie in front of him and brought it down to half health. Meanwhile my templar (old pikeman) and recruit 1 (villager with torch) were having trouble with their giant rat as the templar went down to only four health. That rat really did a number on him. Finally before the turn ended the event deck brought two more zombies onto the board.

On turn two my Ranger started working his way over to the other clue "house" and killed a zombie. The survivor made a beeline to the center of the village. Recruit 2 was knocked out fighting a zombie and the arcanist had to finish the job. The knight and the hound managed to defeat their first zombie while recruit 1 had to step in and save the archer after he was nearly killed. The templar slowly made his way closer to another clue. Then the event deck spawned another two zombies. 

Turn three my ranger entered into his second combat. The survivor reached the well and the arcanist finally reached the door. The door requires either a Pick Lock or Strength roll (TN8) to enter, he tried to pick the lock but failed. Using a double move the knight went around the building getting closer to the second clue. Also using a double move recruit 2 started moving toward clue five. The archer shot at another zombie almost killing it but came up short. Meanwhile the hound tore across the board with it's double move and the templar reached the third clue. The third clue ended up being a mutilated body and with a very lucky survival roll he was able to determine the nature of the bite marks. Finally the event deck caused one of the buildings to collapse (Going forward it received a die on top of it), recruit 1 was too close and was nearly crushed. Fortunately he came away unscathed.

Turn four found my ranger and hound struggling to kill a zombie with my hound taking a hit. The survivor was content to hold his ground at the fountain while the arcanist continued to struggle with the door. The knight made it to the second clue but all she found was a zombie. The archer finally one shotted a zombie while recruit 1 finished off another. Recruit 1 also made it to clue five and found a potion of Wraithwalk. Try as he might the templar was still too far away to help the ranger and hound but he did close the distance. The event deck even spawned a zombie beside one of the clues inside a "house". 

Turn five my ranger killed his second zombie with an assist from the hound. Again the survivor was content and the arcanist struggled with the door. Poor guy just couldn't get a decent roll. The knight began trading blows with a zombie and after just one turn they were both down to half health. Recruit 1 used a double move to start heading down to the arcanist hoping to put his +3 lockpicking skill to use. Obviously I should have sent him there in the first place but I really underestimated that simple TN8 roll. The archer like the survivor was content to stay where he was as he was very close to death. Last but not least the templar reached the "door" of the second clue "house", unfortunately he missed his strength roll. Finally thanks to the event deck my hound was struck with terror completely incapacitating him for a turn.     

Turn six the ranger opened the door (after the templar failed during a group activation) and found strange tracks at the fourth clue. Using his tracking skill he was even able to determine their nature. The hound remained where it was frozen in fear while the survivor chose again to stay at the well. Recruit 1 used a double move again trying to get to the sixth clue. The arcanist continued to struggle with the door while the knight finished off her zombie and moved in to assist. The archer again stayed at the well. Then event deck then spawned four more zombies at the same location as the starting enemies.

Turn seven found my ranger, templar, and hound stuck fighting two zombies and managing to only kill one. The survivor and archer finally moved away from the well and closer to their allies. This didn't work out to well for the survivor as you see. The arcanist left the door and positioned himself between the archer and the incoming zombie. Recruit 1 killed another zombie and the knight opened the door. Instead of a clue as to the whereabouts of the missing ranger she found a treasure token (represented here by an old scatter die). The event deck had one more surprise in store for me however, it spawned two more giant rats.

As you can see in the picture I initially placed them incorrectly and forgot to take another picture after discovering my mistake. They are supposed to spawn out of line of sight beside a random building but if that's not possible they must spawn beside the building as close as they can to an enemy. In this case I could spawn only one out of line of sight (the one on the left) but the other one was clearly visible to my knight no matter where I placed him behind the building. The photo doesn't give this justice but believe me my laser pointer had the last word on the matter. So instead of spawning behind the building they spawned almost right on top of the survivor as the altered picture shows.

As you can imagine turn eight was quite a melee. The survivor was killed by the giant rats before I could intervene. I did however manage to kill one of them. My arcanist even got his hands dirty again at the end but only managed to lose two health for his trouble. 

Things were a bit better with my ranger's group as they killed their last zombie.

They didn't exactly achieve their goal of finding the missing ranger but that wasn't due to lack of trying, that's just the way the dice rolled. Securing a treasure wasn't bad though as it turned out to be a Herb Pouch which in this system is a pretty good "magic item". The ranger received almost enough XP to level up while all his companions received two progression points, minus recruit 2 of course. As for recruit 2's injuries I'm happy to say he'll make a full recovery.   

As far as a first game goes this actually went pretty smoothly, already knowing most of the system certainly helped though. I've got to say I really appreciate the way the scenario system handles monsters, knowing everything you need ahead of time for a mission is great. I know that comes at the sacrifice of a table of random encounters but it certainly makes it easier to plan for (even though I just proxied everything, you know what I mean). Also the number of each monster that it suggests was spot on, I really thought I'd have to grab some extra zombies or "rats" but I didn't. I really think this system might be the perfect fit for me. Even before lockdown and everything that came with it I had trouble finding anyone interested in playing Frostgrave or Ghost Archipelago (which I prefer). So a system that expands upon that and offers solo play is right up my alley. 

With any luck I'd like to play this once a week for at least the foreseeable future. I'm a little rusty with writing battle reports and honestly I haven't written that may to begin with but with practice I hope to get better. I can already see that my notes need to be way better if for no other reason than to make writing the report quicker and less tedious. I had to look up so many things that could have been avoided had I just taken better notes. 
    • By Kangaroorex
      My Secret Sophie arrived at its destination i can share with everyone.  My recipient wanted something cute.  I thought it would be cute to have a man feeding his pet.  Just because his pet happens to be a rust weevil should not be held against him. 

I saw the barbarian and it looked like he was throwing the swords rather than. Actually using them to hit anything.  I also had a spare rust weevil and the whole thing just came together.

Roger got the old swords out of the box from his adventuring days.  It had been a while since he'd been out to the dungeons but at the rate George was going through weapons, he was either going to need to buy a new crate or go delving.  Maybe this time he'd just buy a box of old weapons, let the younger kids go fight the baddies.  These two look okay.  He grabs the weapons and heads out to the field.  When he reached the edge of the field he looks out over the fine red and tan soil and dust.  HEY GEORGE!  He yells out over the field.  In moments George shows up jumping and chittering.  "Hey George" he says again, "its dinnertime!  FETCH!"

• By Kuroneko
      The battle against the forces of evil takes place on many levels. Sometimes it's a clash of mighty armies, whilst other times terrifying behemoths clash in the sky, terrifying the populace for miles around. Others.....well, they're far more personal.

This was my contribution to this years Secret Sophie gift exchange. It portrays the winner of a long, hard won battle between evenly matched opponents and I suspect the only thing keeping that little dragon up is pride and a good dose of adrenaline

This was a number of firsts for me- my first semi successful NMM attempt, first ever diorama and first Secret Sophie. I had a great time and I'll certainly do it again!

Thanks for looking, as always any comments/criticisms are certainly welcome.
    • By Kangaroorex
      My secret Sophie is winging its way to its recipient as I write this and may even arrive before the new year!

I have been practicing a technique shown to me by @Mocha and have produced. Number of these this year so its only fitting that my SS be one of them.

The present is actually a 6 sided die from dice jail for too many 1's so for its trouble it has been incarcerated in greenstuff wrapping paper! 

I modified Rocky a little bit to flatten his wings to more of a waiting position. 

As for the story, Rocky has been asked to wait for his present and he intends to make sure it does not get away!  

I enjoyed making the little bow much more than I should have but it was a lot of fun.  The Rocky series is great.  The eyes are just large enough to get some real detail into without overwhelming the mini and ever part of the mini is accessible to paint!  

I hope his recipient likes him and that he reminds everyone that good things will come with a little bit of patience 

• Who's Online   5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)