ZBrush Sculpting - Golem Hired Muscle

Hello all!

I'm really trying to learn about sculpting for miniatures and here's my current project:

It's a Golem from artist Chris Walton

It's just at the Armature phase right now but i've started to block in my major shape masses. I'll post that when i get a bit further.

Any help/suggestions/direction on how to make this more viable for print at around 30mm would be most appreciated!

All the best, 
Andrew Cothill

Golem_1.PNG

• Like 5
1 hour ago, LarsM said:

This is super cool! And great idea with the kitten.

I have absolutely no idea how to sculp a kitten.. I think its head is looking fine, but the body and limps should be thinner.

Thanks very much for the kind words, guys! I'll try and make the kitten somewhat skinnier - maybe concentrate on making the head big and the body small. 

1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

I love the way this is coming along!  I would love to paint him!

Sorry I have no input on sculpting the little kitty

Aw, thanks, NM! I've been watching your ocean waves progress and it's great!

I think with the kitten, I'm going to make a vague blob in the pose that i want. Make a shape that fits into his body and reads like a firghtened kitten. Er.. then i'm goind to put a face and legs and things on it and call it a kitten. It it feels, acts, and quite possibly smells like a kitten etc etc

Thanks again for all the kind words!

Re-worked a bit of stuff tonight and took others further. It's still a kind of blocking phase because i'm not getting in an detailing. I'm just trying to see where the main focus of the detail be so i've done the tunic and leathery loin cloth thingy. This way, when i start doing the body with all of its muscles and scars and stitches, i can roughly gauge where it should be. 

That's, er.... that's the plan, anyway!

1 hour ago, londwch said:

This looks really impressive,  I have no idea how the models are sculpted so this is an eye opener for me.

Thanks for the compliment! I hope you don't misunderstand though, i'm not sculpting for Reaper.. (i mean, i'd love to) this is just me trying to learn how to sculpt characters for miniatures. =)

Golem_5a.PNG

Golem_5b.PNG

• Like 6

Regarding kitten sculpting - the issue I see is scale, each piece has scale relative to the head. 

In drawing I relate everything to a human head. Each arm is two heads long, forearm is one head, upper arm is one head. 

Unless you’re going for cute, then go large!

Loth

On 28/11/2017 at 3:49 AM, GreenBeams said:

Thanks for the compliment! I hope you don't misunderstand though, i'm not sculpting for Reaper.. (i mean, i'd love to) this is just me trying to learn how to sculpt characters for miniatures. =)

Morning Greenbeams - thanks for clearing up.  What software is this ?  It is fascinating.

I'm happy to see the details slowly appearing, making him look more and more like a construct.

7 hours ago, Loth said:

Regarding kitten sculpting - the issue I see is scale, each piece has scale relative to the head. 

In drawing I relate everything to a human head. Each arm is two heads long, forearm is one head, upper arm is one head. 

Unless you’re going for cute, then go large!

I was thinking about something along those lines. But for the relative scale of the kitten compared to the golem. i.e. Kittens are tiny, and golems are known to be intimidatingly large.

Now if it were an adult cat, I would probably perceive it differently.

Just a little further forwards with the body and starting th process of cutting him up... and then sewing him back together.

Loth - Thanks for the advice. I'm aiming at cute and vulnerable so i'm trying to get something... i guess... small with a big head. The proportions are all going to be a little cartoonish.
Londwch - Morning, mate! No problems. I'm using ZBrush 4R8. If you fancy a go at it without the heavy price tag, they do a free version called Sculptris. Sort of like ZBrush Lite.
Cranky Dog - Thanks for the compliment! With his body, the plan is to build him up, then chop him up and then sew him back together again. Hopefully i can keep the constructed feeling but i don't want to go the whole way and have limbs of different size

Thanks for all the comments and advice, guys! 

golem_1.PNG

golem_2.PNG

• Like 3