Thrym

Fire Giant Jailor :: A Thrym WIP # Project Amber Monocle

thrymstable-holiday-vacation-series-banner.thumb.jpg.430618b7a6d646cb23b1f74880b8d502.jpg

The Series continues with the merriest mini of the lot, the Bones 3 Fire Giant Jailor, joining the Joten Horde of Thrym!

Now, after sitting on my desk since pulling him from his plastic bag and dry fitting him together, I've been considering what to do with him.

The first thing was the weird shaped integral base ... that needed to be fixed.  So I dug around for a base to place his base on and settled for one of the large rounds from the same Bones kickstarter.  Now, how best to expand upon the stone work of the integral base or was I going to have to dump it altogether and just use the giant.

Well,  I decided that I liked it a lot but the strange shape was a pain so I cut back the piece to the straight edges along one side.  Then using some architectural samples I have a ton of, I proceeded to make new tiles and intentionally break them.    They are 1/8" thick (3.2mm) and 2" x 2" in size.  After cutting them into squares, breaking them into bits is easy.

5a1662b50debb_ArchitecturalTileSamples.jpg.6b27ec9620df7d5962c391f45df4faf8.jpg

The rest was just a matter of doing tile work and gluing them in place.  I grouted the piece with some Loctite Craft Glue.  It's heavy duty and fills in nicely ... see below.

5a16630d3457a_FGJBase.jpg.4c37284b54e1e2f4ac692e531698e026.jpg

After a little sanding to remove the excess glue and roughing the edges, I used a hobby blade and carving tool to clean and define some of the lines in the integral base to better match the new tiles.  I also flipped one of the cut away segments from the front for the edge on the left side of the piece (near the top of the pic).

Once that was dried and cleaned, I cleaned and glued the giant together and added him to the base.

5a16630a83cca_FGJAssembledandBased.jpg.34c167077eb8b5edfe54d63b9a5b1fd3.jpg

I have to do a  little filling of gaps and I did glue the chain down to the tiles so it lays across the ground as if it is landing there.  I just have to improve the pin for the dagger on his back belt and settle the keg on the hook off his belt.  Then I can coat and prime him and begin his paint job.

I'll stick to my Fire Giant Skin Triad ...

fire-giant-skin.jpg

As used with the Dungeons & Dragons Fire Giant I did last year.

post-7739-0-64587900-1482274207_thumb.jpg

Of course, the Jailor of the Fire Giants won't be nearly as pristine as one of their Elite Guards, so you can expect a lot of grunge and prolly some soot.

As always, Enjoy and Stay Tuned.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 11

I got the wee laddie primed today with Armory Spray Primer:

5a1cff22bc3f7_FGPrimed.jpg.d3fe39ea83d30f93805b031c50c2f31e.jpg

Up next some lining and the basecoats.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Last night the Jailor got his skin lined using Reaper Red Liner and I basecoated the handle of the hammer with more.  Then the chainmail loincloth, the chain wrapping his arm and his chain whip were basecoated with Reaper Coal Black.

5a20cae29ead6_FGJailorLinedFront.jpg.b68f7addfe72fca803362adaaf644221.jpg

5a20cae21a72f_FGJailorLinedBack.jpg.2d6ba8044fd6af371e6ce5691ee05faa.jpg

Stay Tuned.

• Like 6

So with the last Fire Giant I started with Reaper Red Shadow and then brightened him up with Auburn Shadow.

This time I lined him with Reaper Red Liner and I think I will basecoat him with Reaper Spattered Crimson.

I took a few minutes to run through the various reds I have in the ballpark of what I want and put them on a sheet of very white paper with a barcode for color correction.

Here's what I have:

5a20ff8d4fd5e_SkinToneOptions.thumb.jpg.eae1a83880c17b7b05b32d87feb5a1da.jpg

I think in the end with the Spattered Crimson base, I can take it to the Garnet Red or Vallejo Red for the highlighting.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

So, last night after making the chart, I applied the Reaper Spattered Crimson as his basecoat for the skin.

5a2198a7d91a5_FGJSkinBasecoat-Front.jpg.b15219cb63f622fcbf9d6a758bcbc715.jpg

5a2198a735b52_FGJSkinBasecoat-Back.jpg.7d0662a34431511c7e0e209250c897a7.jpg

I left the vein on his back arm to see if I like a purple over the lighter color or I like the purple over the red.  There's another vein on his other arm.

Stay Tuned and Enjoy!

• Like 4

Sadly, I don't have this Monday off.  ::(:

So, I will only have the minimal weekend progress to post tomorrow.  Perhaps some Monday night progress if I don't have to stay to late.

Stay tuned.

Quick pic ...

20171205_144103.thumb.jpg.e15c44c8a0e2241848b85e35fa986e3d.jpg

I painted rust on his collar.  Still a bunch more details but I like it so far.

More pics tomorrow night.  Stay tuned. 

• Like 4

Hanging out with Fire Giant Jailor at Paint Day, yesterday, watching our favorite Christmas Movie:

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 2

The majority of my weekend was lost to some B.S., so I didn't get a lot more done on the giant.

Here's the dungeon floor under the giant I started.

5a332a0396961_FGJailorFloor.jpg.874d5064dbefe78891c10c57dbd5b2f7.jpg

I used the Reaper Violet Shadow as the basecoat, Reaper Coal Black to line the tiles, and Reaper Royal Purple as the highlight.  The lighter edging on the "front" side of the floor is Reaper Gem Purple.

Looking for a cool, odd colored flagstone floor color that the giants deep underground would have used or employed others to use for floor tiles.

Thinking of adding graphite from a pencil to add some silvery veining.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Stay Tuned and Enjoy!

• Like 6

Look who I picked up.

I added Reaper Blood Red as a highlight to his skin and Reaper Eldritch Purple as an undertone to his skin and the color of his veins and warts.

I also added the Blood Red to the edges of his gauntlet strapping to brighten them up a bit.

I then used the Eldritch Purple to color the diamond cross on his hammer and the nut at the top.

20190629_122236.thumb.jpg.5d6bf010973db7eedd30a5cee83dc0e8.jpg

20190629_130749.jpg.26e468a55d3dae3b09a8976d4c409b50.jpg

Enjoy and Stay tuned!

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 7