Sign in to follow this  
Shin Okada

Using benzine to harden Bones?

I saw a tweet in Japanese which says soaking Bones in benzine for about 2 days (more precisely, 44 hours, he says) removed plasticizer and bones are hardened. Did somebody tried this before? Any successful experience? Or experienced some problem? 

Benzene is scary bad stuff.  I wouldn't want to soak minis in benzene just because of the hazards involved.  the benefit isn't worth the risk for me.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927339

now, i'm not saying that benzene can't be handled safely - I've done it before.  I just don't put it down as a hobby chemical.

tl;dr: toxic to ingest, toxic to skin contact, carcinogen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shin Okada said:

I saw a tweet in Japanese which says soaking Bones in benzine for about 2 days (more precisely, 44 hours, he says) removed plasticizer and bones are hardened. Did somebody tried this before? Any successful experience? Or experienced some problem? 

Wouldn't surprise me if it worked. But:

Isopropyl is probably safer, though I can't say whether it works as well as benzene.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikem91 said:

Benzene is scary bad stuff.  I wouldn't want to soak minis in benzene just because of the hazards involved.  the benefit isn't worth the risk for me.

It is not Benzene, but benzine. Benzine does not contain much benzene. It smells really bad and maybe not good for health too, though.

47 minutes ago, Shin Okada said:

It is not Benzene, but benzine. Benzine does not contain much benzene. It smells really bad and maybe not good for health too, though.

Dialectal issue, I think. American English would use "gasoline" for that and doesn't really use "benzine" at all, assuming my research hasn't misled me. (British English would use "petrol".)

At any rate, I read the initial post as "benzene" as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Dialectal issue, I think. American English would use "gasoline" for that and doesn't really use "benzine" at all, assuming my research hasn't misled me. (British English would use "petrol".)

At any rate, I read the initial post as "benzene" as well.

Benzene is an aromatic hydrocarbon. Benzine is a petroleum ether. They are different things.

The only downside I can think of about leaching out the plasticizers is that though it increases the stiffness, you also risk making them more brittle.

Depending on the shape/size of the mini (thin sword vs. thick wall), this may or may not be a cause for concern.

I've used mineral oil (baby oil) to leach plasticizers out of rubbery plastic toys so that primer would not stay tacky forever on them, and on plastic D&D miniatures to slightly reposition limbs that came out of the package bent/warped and to correct some that were badly leaning.  With decent results. 

Unsure if this would work on Bones (I like metal, plus haven't been minis-shopping much since pre-bones days on account of my many boxes of unpainted lead and pewter), but at the very least it would pretty much have to lead to less dried out finger-skin issues than using iso.  Might be worth some experimenting.

Here's the thread where I picked up that particular tip: 

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/33436-does-tamiya-primer-just-not-like-squeaky-toy-rubber-or-what

Never tried soaking anything rubbery in branzino, sorry.  ::D:

Kang