Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Thanksgiving 2017 Painting Binge

Recommended Posts

My goal in the Thanksgiving painting binge is to finish the last six 25mm home cast Saxons I need to deploy a war game army, to finish a dozen or so 1/72 plastic Vikings needed to deploy a different wargame army, and to start some momentum on a project to do a set of inter-related Middle Earth warbands for Dragon Rampant, to be done with vintage Minifigs from the early to mid-70s.  For those who might not have heard this before, these figures were the first commercial fantasy figures produced, and therefore reach back to the dawn of time for the hobby of fantasy gaming. ::D:

 

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Mythical_Earth

 

Here’s what my desk looks like this morning:

 

EDD4BDB3-B844-402A-8B37-D5F16F31E615.thumb.jpeg.07e5fadfd5da84bb17a0d4deba3424b6.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paint got scattered on a bunch of figures in my first session this morning, but what I finished were these guys, a couple of Orion 1/72 scale plastic Vikings. They are destined to be a Hero stand in my Hordes of the Things Cold Islands barbarian army:

 

66F6C62A-BD23-4E22-AB3E-BCA9754B4965.thumb.jpeg.5163b77b92c95b771056296fe4f629ae.jpeg3A60B415-2177-4187-BC6B-7D90118C28C4.thumb.jpeg.cb7f5d5439703e10789332ea15627e44.jpeg

 

In HotT, heroes are on the same base sizes as everyone else, so these will need some extra scenic treatment to deal with the open space.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished the last three of these fantasy Vikings this morning, and shifted over to basing.  It’s time to go out and do some PT, so everything done this weekend should be dry and ready for a spray varnish coat when I get home. Less than I dreamed;more than I would have done without the kick, so we’ll call it a victory...

 

EBA3B94F-8E36-47B1-B901-C26688B4AE20.thumb.jpeg.727a6d582f400d0654e8ebe382e75996.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rob Dean
      The next piece of my DBA 3.0 Bronze Age Libyan army has ben varnished and is ready for battle...as soon as 5 more stands of things get painted. 
       

       

    • By Rob Dean
      The last of 72 painstaking acquired  1974 vintage Minifig goblins have finally been finished.  This batch of a dozen went very quickly as the third batch of them I’ve done this month.  I have ambitions to play some D&D as we played in in 1976, but with more and better miniatures, so I based this last crew individually for flexibility.  I am tempted to do a grumpy old man routine about how you young people don’t appreciate how good you have things in sculpting and miniatures choice these days, but I won’t.  I suspect that everyone does appreciate it.   Nevertheless, like clanking away on my manual typewrite is fun, it’s been interesting to see what I could do with these guys, a process made much easier by the use of modern tools such as acrylic paint and a wet palette.  
       

       

       
    • By Rob Dean
      I finished this troop of Libyans over a couple of lunches last week, but it took until today to have time to finalize the bases.  These will be skirmisher (psiloi) stands for a 12-stand De Bellis Antiquitatis army to oppose my New Kingdom Egyptians.  I need to magnetize a new storage box, since the Bronze Age project has now overflowed the first 4-liter Really Useful Box.
       

       

       
    • By Rob Dean
      After yesterday's work on the Bones 4 scenics, I dug around and finished off the first of a set of resin buildings I got from an Apocalypse Miniatures Kickstarter a year or two back:
       

       

       
      I also finished basing up a seriously vintage (ca. 1974) Minifig Ent:
       

       

       
      And, finally touched up basing and finished off my Gencon speed paints:
       

       

       
      From left to right, a Word preliminary round figures, a Reaper preliminary round, a Wyrd final round, and a Reaper final round. (So, 45 minutes on the preliminaries and 60 minutes on the finals...I added names to the two preliminaries; retitled the Word final, and attached the Reaper final to a Frostgrave-themed snow and rock base.)
       
    • By Rob Dean
      I’ve been finishing up miscellaneous projects off my bench lately.  Here is the first of the late Roman (or Romano-British successor kingdoms) infantry:
       

       

       

       
      The actual castings are a bit rough; everyone is made from Prince August or Dutkins Lil Army molds, and most of the figures are assembled from multiple pieces.  I’d be interested sometime to know who thought that it would be a good idea to cast small 25s with separate heads and weapons...
       
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 2 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...