CaptMini

Goldar the Barbarian (now with snow and bloody axe!) - 03461 - Artist: M. Gubser

I'm a noob (about 5-6 weeks of painting) but am happy with this guy and his rusty armor!

Would love some C & C from anyone though!

IMG_1465.thumb.jpg.d7be4e116e8b1a5727c11241ce372ce9.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Edited by CaptMini
  • Like 15

He looks good!

A couple comments might be to just work on thinning your paints a bit to just smooth the transitions from shadow to highlight (I am still working on this myself).   I also think the rust might be a bit thick but that could be just personal preference. Here's a good video for painting rust without having to use technical paint. 

I would recommend watch a lot of Dr Faust videos.  Its really helped me a lot!

You are off to a great start though!  Keep up the good work!

Oh and welcome!  This is a really friendly place!  So look around and don't be afraid to ask questions.  There are many great painters around here that are always willing to help!

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 3

Thanks Internet Friend,

I have seen a few of those Dr Faust vids and like them--My favorite guy to watch is Tabletop Minions, especially when they have Sam Lenz as a guest painter - He's Amaaaaaaazing!

1 hour ago, CaptMini said:

Thanks Internet Friend,

I have seen a few of those Dr Faust vids and like them--My favorite guy to watch is Tabletop Minions, especially when they have Sam Lenz as a guest painter - He's Amaaaaaaazing!

He really is a great painter but he's a brush licker so I find him extremely hard to watch. 

• Haha 1

Looks good!

I like the skin and the snow adds a nice touch.

As for the blood on the axe, to make blood on weapons appear more natural, use a dark red, thin it, apply with a sponge or dab it on.

That way you get patches of blood instead of a red stroke.

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stormbreach
      Hi all.  I may have finished this guy in record time.  I am trying this new thing where when I want to stop and get up from my desk... I don't .  This is a bugbear that I just primed with a couple others even though I didn't really have any strong feelings about him.  But as I started working on him I started to get more excited, which is something that's been happening to me more now.  I just start a mini to get more stuff painted and end up liking the job.  I have started to put more effort into highlighting because I got a nudge here on the forums and I am so glad I did.  I really like the work I did on his armour, bringing the scales up to a brighter orange and ticking the edges with silver to make it look like the orange was paint wearing off.  In person he really glitters with that silver, something that didn't quite come across in the picture.  I like the highlighting I did with his skin and loincloth and also the silver rivets on the arm and shin guards.  I hope you all like him too!

• By planetmut
      Keith is very happy that he joined the Cult of the Obsidian Otter. He's met lots of like-minded people, he's getting plenty of fresh air and all that axe-swinging is building his upper body strength.

And the fact he can't get She Sells Sanctuary out of his head is just a bonus.

• By joshuaslater
      These savages are on Kickstarter.  My first Kickstarter!  There are all kinds of add ons lurking in here too.  Thanks Reaper for providing this forum! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648985407/rise-of-the-powrie?ref=creator_nav

• By lazarp
      This is one of the heroes from legend of drizzt board game. I gave him simple terrain and a super quick speedpaint. I like how he turned out. Thanks for looking 

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      Statuesque Miniatures

Ok. We're all set. The Kickstarter launches on Tuesday! It's not a massively long campaign, so tell everyone! Your friends, your family, even your enemies - maybe they just need tiny metal toys in their lives and will forever more be much better people!

You'll be able to grab the full set of miniatures or choose from smaller sets in any combination. There will also be a very limited number of hand-finished (by me) sets just like the miniatures in the photos. The perfect labour-free gift for yourself or someone you love. Awwww.
  • Who's Online   28 Members, 5 Anonymous, 237 Guests (See full list)