Need help starting CAV army

rhino-tamer

Jer and I played without the mortars, and I think it was a better game. I actually got the flag and moved it, then after Jer annihilated my APC (doing enough damage to destroy it and the infantry inside), he picked up the flag and got it halfway home. Then I Tsuisekied his Lynx. :)

We had a completely different unit list, but we moved the flag!

PS

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely different units, therefore a completely different dynamic :o) There was a reason we left Tsuisekis off and used the units we did.... but it does need some work :o) Perhaps we can revive it at Origins eh Pat? :o)

I'm looking at play testing it here in Dallas at reapers booth at AKON in a week or so, and then us rerunning it at Orgins.

I'm also convenced that while its a great training game for new folks who have a ton of fun with it the, logistical issues involved make it challanging enough for advanced players.

I was thinking about offering up a prize for the first all advanced vs advanced team to retrive the flag and get it off the board.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Completely different units, therefore a completely different dynamic :o) There was a reason we left Tsuisekis off and used the units we did.... but it does need some work :o) Perhaps we can revive it at Origins eh Pat? :o)

Enlighten me. Why did you pick the units you picked?

PS

the first reason was what we had on hand, plus the second reason was for specific roles each played. and weaknesses.

LOL! Ok, they were picked for their specific roles... and those roles would be?

Help me out here, I'm seeing two possible winning strategies:

1) put one infantry as far back as possible, and attempt to destroy the OpFor. If you kill everything he's got, your lone infantry waltzes up and gets the flag.

2) get your APC to the flag as the last section to go in a turn, and hope you draw your own card first in the next turn, so he can get the heck out of there.

Neither of those strategies seems to be in the spirit of the scenario. The serious IF section means no one can ever gain control of the center of the board.

PS

Hey guys, from what I saw at reapercon and played at home IF is a scary thing to deal with. not only does it halt or destroy units it also has quite a range in some occasions.

But for everything that was said about the starter army I have paid atention to and am trying to modify my force accordingly.

Stormus

there were some weaknesses in the big section in its speed, the Rhino either lived or died.

there actually were a couple of strategies that Frank and I discussed before the game started and after watching the first two games. It was actually very interesting to watch how the terrain changed the game, I think one of my favorites was the lunar game when you guys wanted to play on the moonscape, the scorpions really loved those craters.

I'm tweaking the new army a bit with a change to the apc teams.

I can't discuss the specifics of what we have in mind to win it till after Origins as I want some of you guys who are expericanced players to try it out.

Hmm, I think that IF section might have been too tough on people Pat :o)

Each section had very specific roles that it should have performed, and the whole army needed to work in unison in order to pull it off.

I think the biggest problem was the co-ordination didn't happen all that much, so each section was used on it's own and not in the combined and co-ordinated way the scenario was designed to work :o)

The problem with the IF section is that you can't counter it. It rains white hot death on the center of the board, and what do you send to kill it?

The IF section is too slow to effectively counter it. The superiority section is terrible against soft targets (except the Wraith). That leaves the Khan, the Challenger, and the APC as effective soft target killers. All of those are hard targets, and to get close to the mortar teams they have to get close to the superiority section. And that superiority section makes short work of those 3 units.

Now if you included a gunship or two... ::):

PS

*Looks at Mad Pat*

Okay, what's fast, a soft target, rapes other soft targets and isn't a gunship?

Sabres! :o)

I agree Storminator, the mortars can't counter each other at all well, but the Sovereign can if you are willing to allow the infantry to go it alone for a turn or two. The 60" of the Sovereign was roughly enough to get to the other fire section on both tables we played, and I think there was the possibliy to get the enemy Sovereign in DF range on the 'random alien world' table.

I'm reluctant to include any aviation until something like the Dragonfly somes out because they tend to be very effective against hard targets and I don't want to scare ppl off with immune units (Harpy, Tsuiseki and Kharl).

Perhaps a Kikyu or two would work.... or perhaps even a Ghast.

In two turns (the time it takes the mortar teams to target the flag), the Wraith and Gladiator (that was the other one , right?) can move 32", which puts them 24" ahead of the mortar teams. Which means when the Sovereign is within 60" of the mortar teams, he's within 36 of the Heavies. I'm not even going to discuss the Scorp or Challenger. So the Sov III has round, two if he's lucky to blast mortars. Then he's SOL.

I'd scale back on the mortar teams (if they're light mortars they won't hit the APC as hard), maybe make them single mortars, and use a better APC than the Hedgehog (I know, you had to use what you had) and include something with a possibility of getting to the mortars, either a Sabre or a Nomad.

PS

The Sovereign is gonna be out of LoS, hopefully. If it get's a LoF on it from the superiority section then yes, it's gonna get hurt.

The mortars have to stay heavy, else there's range issues (the mortars took a while to get into range on foot). The APC, well we'll have Lynx's which is a light APC (fast like the Hedgehog) but with better electronics, and a few Sabres lurking around shouldn't be too hard.

Actually in the revised team list that I haven't gotten to send Frank yet I've got two infantry teams, one hard one soft how you choose to deploy them could make or break the team.

We've also changed up a few of the units used to better highlight some of the newer units that we didn't have available for use at Reapercon.

Franks right though 99% of the heavy mortar teams were setup right next to each other and were well inside the 4 inch AOE of a single well placed Sov shot.

I'm going to re-beta this at AKON in a week, and then we'll have it set up at Origins for any of you coming to try your hand at.

Dallas Texas