Sign in to follow this  
Loup_Garou_Gras

Help with Skin/Leather Colors please

Ogre.thumb.jpg.622025d557480d9cad51e9031667d077.jpg

Painted this ogre, and mixed colors for leather and skin that were too similar in my estimation.  I am humbly asking for advice on the best way to increase the contrast between the two.  I started applying yellow highlights to the skin, but it will be too subtle, I think.  I am open to all suggestions, critiques, and ideas.  Thanks in advance!

Ogre.jpg

• Like 2

I'd suggest going with red-purple-brown shadows on the skin, and more highlighting. Use more yellowish browns on the leathers, and decide if they will be really dark or really light. Highlight or shadow accordingly. That will give a tone contrast in addition to hue. 

• Like 2

You can also choose to paint a different leather.

Brown skin with brown leather is close.

Maybe use black or red leather on this guy to give it more contrast.

• Like 1

I have struggled since Saturday with this figure too Loup.  I initially went with a barbarian flesh tone from army painter and mixed a little white to get a highlight.  But there are so many areas that need a brown on this one it became difficult to break them up.  I'll post my finished figure later it's not a million miles from your's in colours.  But I am no expert so I cannot offer up much advice but also could do with help.  

• Like 1

Hmm. I painted mine grimy, using grunge to differentiate areas: 

You could go a little darker in the cracks and crannies between adjacent areas of color.

Alternately, here is a figure with skin and leather very close in color. I used yellows on the leather that were not in the skin and made sure to paint shadows between them:

• Like 2

To second something @Pingo mentioned: a thin line of very dark paint between surfaces can help make cerrtain things (like the similarly colored leather/skin) "pop" a bit. Called "darklining" or sometimes just "lining," it vcan be done very dramatically (somewhat "cartoony," in that every part is clearly outlined, almost like a comic book) or quite subtly (as Pingo shows above with her Aislinn).

The difference is mainly in how contrasty your liner is. Pingo stayed pretty close in hue to the surface the liner was painted on, but went darker to create fairly natural shadows to differentiate the areas of the mini. This example of Reaper's Aviriel is painted with a liner that is darker in both hue and value, which creates a much bolder outline. I especially like the hip near her sword, where you can see the buckskin of her legging, the light brown of the belt or armor strap and the gold of the armor, all fairly close in hue but very distinctly separate because of the lining. But, the look on Aviriel is somewhat less natural than that of Pingo's Aislinn.

I will also echo @Cyradis in that using contrasting shadows can dramatically alter how a viewer perceives two surfaces. If you drop a more purple shadow into the skin, then a green shadow into the leathers, it would go a long way. Even just using warmer browns (like Blackened Brown in RMS) in the skin and cooler browns (like Walnut Brown) in the leathers, or vice versa, would go a long way.

• Like 5

As always thanks for the feedback.  Will make a decision on which to try and will post pictures for more feedback/criticism/suggestions.  I have one more ogre to paint so will apply the lessons learned.

Oh, and in an attempt to avoid thread necromancy, Pingo if I could ask for clarification one something in an old post of mine?  You mentioned using dark blue or violet mixed with the base color for shadowing cooler colors and also mentioned using brown for shading warm colors.  Do you also mix the brown with the base as per shading the cooler colors?

13 minutes ago, Loup_Garou_Gras said:

As always thanks for the feedback.  Will make a decision on which to try and will post pictures for more feedback/criticism/suggestions.  I have one more ogre to paint so will apply the lessons learned.

Oh, and in an attempt to avoid thread necromancy, Pingo if I could ask for clarification one something in an old post of mine?  You mentioned using dark blue or violet mixed with the base color for shadowing cooler colors and also mentioned using brown for shading warm colors.  Do you also mix the brown with the base as per shading the cooler colors?

I'm not sure I'm unpacking the question properly. I do sometimes mix shadow colors with base colors for more harmonious shading.