Sign in to follow this  
Ash Adler

01609: Lysette, Elf Wizard, attempt 2

After almost a month of working on it, I finally managed to finish this one.  Whew! :lol: It was fun to try to push myself further with blending colors using glazing (and the sheer cloth look turned out decent, too), but I really underestimated how much trouble it'd be when I started on it.

lysette1.jpg.505edda216d94908054ad34dfec2c29b.jpglysette2.jpg.656b25155cfe9997628a72725404d575.jpglysette3.jpg.f3c04bc0df822823845f9026f5b6e2bb.jpg

As usual, more pictures and my thought process are on my blog: link

I could've done with a bit more red glazing on the front of the skirt, but otherwise, I'm rather pleased with the results that I got from the parts that I really put effort into (I took the lazy way out on some parts towards the end because I was ready to just be done with it so that I could move on to something new :unsure:).  The jump in the color on the hair where I did a second ink wash with purple is very stark in the photo, but I think that it's one of those things that doesn't look nearly as bad in reality.

I'm also pleased that I figured out a better way of lighting my photos, even if it helps show off my mistakes more clearly :lol:

C&C welcome ::):

• Like 22

Many thanks for all the kind words ::):.  I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of doing a few things fairly well.  Now I need to work on keeping my focus up for a whole mini, instead of putting a lot of effort into half of it and then rushing the rest to get it finished :lol:

• Like 2

You have some ambitious color changing here. I think it has come across pretty successfully.

On 12/3/2017 at 8:04 PM, Ash Adler said:

Many thanks for all the kind words ::):.  I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of doing a few things fairly well.  Now I need to work on keeping my focus up for a whole mini, instead of putting a lot of effort into half of it and then rushing the rest to get it finished :lol:

A good number of my figures are like that, to be honest. A ton of work in the face and whatever bits I find interesting, then quick finishing of the rest.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 9:22 PM, Pingo said:

You have some ambitious color changing here. I think it has come across pretty successfully.

A good number of my figures are like that, to be honest. A ton of work in the face and whatever bits I find interesting, then quick finishing of the rest.

Thanks for the compliment ::):.  I have to ask, though...are they really such major color changes?  Maybe it's my artistic ignorance showing, but I would've thought that red>purple or yellow>green>blue would be relatively easy transitions, since they're right next to each other on the spectrum.  Then again, just going between darker/lighter shades of the same basic color can be tough, so I'm probably still underestimating it even with how difficult it was for me to actually do it :lol:

I think faces are at once my favorite and most hated parts to paint.  They add a lot to the presentation, and eyes are one of the only freehand details that I feel like I can do with some competence, but they're so hard! :lol:  It takes me 2+ hours at the start of every mini to do the face, which I'm sure will get faster with more practice, but it's such a relief whenever I can get a face to the point where I'm happy enough to start working on other parts.