Sign in to follow this  
JGroeling

Wizard in a Jar, Advice? (WIP)

20171202_215145.thumb.jpg.85152e97bc3a600e94c5f312f3e25b5e.jpg

Working on a belated bday/doubling as holiday gift for a friend and DM. This was originally one of the "Nozgul's Marvelous Unpainted" human wizard minis. Img link (one on right). Converted it to better resemble friend's character: A heavyset archanist archwizard who is generally jolly, high, and giving out magical candy. The character also has lots of pockets and satchels with assorted items and goodies. He's basically the DM's avatar in game to point players in the right direction. 

IMG_20171202_215732.thumb.jpg.f5cb012079271ab044ea71e6d6bba3b9.jpg

Anyway, his arch wizard character was taken prisoner at one point and trapped inside a jar.....

So I decided to try my hand at a jar display. 

20171202_215247-1.thumb.jpg.0c6b43f7cd41bbca9d78d70e0bb8dcf5.jpg

20171202_215235.thumb.jpg.8daf026fabf30e0720a564b6a6b0d49b.jpg

20171202_215257-1.thumb.jpg.cab0d434f156436d68b7e8c3933cda5c.jpg

Used a metal washer under the floor in the jar, and magnets on the miniature's base, so he can take his wizard out for tabletop play, and store him in the jar. 

The jar base has been a pain in the arse.

Bottom of jar isnt flat at all, so I cut a piece of heavy paper to the size of the base and then put it in and filled the jar with coins for a few days to bend it to the shape. Once I was satisfied it had molded properly, I took the paper out, cut it in half and molded on top of it usinf a base of hot glue, and topping it with modeling paste that I textured. 

Scratched up the inside bottom of the glass with clarse sandpaper to give glue some grit to hold to. Put a few coats of black paint into the bottom border of the jar and then added a bunch of Elmer's for each half of the base. The whole base would not fit through the opening if it was one piece. I think I either used too much glue, or the Elmer's just doesnt bond well in this situation. But it's taken over a full 24 hrs to mostly dry. 

Added some more paint on the jar base texturing, then used a sculpting tool to pull parts of the paint off the inner glass to get that slight tendril look, and now I'm about 90% done. 

Still need to put a clear coat on the wizard, and may add some other details to him if I can figure out what will really help. 

The jar, I'm thinking a piece of black fabric attached to the top part might work out well, with some kind of sigil. 

Any suggestions or advice on anything else is welcome. 

• Like 9

Very cool!   

The only addtion I could think of  is to use some transparent paint to paint an orangish-yellowish circle on the side of the glass opposite his hand, to make it look like the wizard is using some kind of heat spell to try and melt an opening in the glass so he can escape the jar. 

• Like 2

For the spell he's under (in game) he's immobilized completely while inside the bottle. Frozen in time. 

I had consodered adding some very faint glyphs in that same translucent manner to show the magical powers of the bottle. I would have to varnish the inside of the jar in that case, and not sure what I can use on glass. 

(Take into account I'm expecting him to be able to reach in and out of the jar to take and replace his mini)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JGroeling said:

For the spell he's under (in game) he's immobilized completely while inside the bottle. Frozen in time. 

I had consodered adding some very faint glyphs in that same translucent manner to show the magical powers of the bottle. I would have to varnish the inside of the jar in that case, and not sure what I can use on glass. 

(Take into account I'm expecting him to be able to reach in and out of the jar to take and replace his mini)

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the explanation.

I have seen paint made for glass in the local chain craft store ... you might look there for an idea of what to use for the glyphs.

A quick google search turned up this:

664b97be00a5a99a01144a10ed0f5bb3.jpg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Added some leather cord wrapping on the metal bits. Still need to add glyphs and a piece of fabric for the top cap on this one. Picking up fabric tonight or tomorrow. Glyphs will go on late this week. 20171217_153552.thumb.jpg.5178ab01d473cc55254a34124af8d96e.jpg20171217_153612.thumb.jpg.cfc3bfa87fa6a5160ee173900ffeaeed.jpg

• Like 5