Taking a break from flailing about on Bones to take some time and flail about on metal. Here is “Witch”, as the blister says:

17116AB0-C3C5-4161-A9FA-8E851B4F6B8C.thumb.jpeg.003eadab91d72bd2c505532fb4ebcc81.jpeg

43E3D9FC-A3A3-4CF9-9DCA-3C1DB1E055A8.thumb.jpeg.50b43b80ad83542bc123ef05b8d10f23.jpeg

Her pointy hat inspired me to paint her up as a Black Mage from Final Fantasy. However, that plan went out the window when it encountered her clothing layers. So  I took the opportunity to play with Yellow a bit. Probably needs a lot more work but I’m limited by my paints at the moment.

Not the greatest job, but I am happy with the end result, especially the Browns. C&C appreciated.

• Like 12
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey SWT! Okay if I abbreviate your name to that? I'll stop if you dislike it. 

Good figure! Blue, yellow, and brown are a good combo! They contrast well, which is one of the most important aspects of painting. I wish I knew what the character model was; I never played Final Fantasy though ::(:

The dark creases in the blue hit really nicely. They hit the dark points, near black, while still remaining "blue". 

So C&C, because you asked. You are free to critique anything I do too! We learn best like this, I think! Really, I want the critique and I hope you don't mind that I give the same as I hope for (I have one or two coming soon).

The hair, staff,  and the hat are very similar tones of brown. If you differentiate them somehow, they'll stand out better. 

Have you checked the Bette Davis eyes tutorial in the tips forums? You got the eyes on center! They could get better with a few more touches. That tutorial is what took mine up a lot. I found it to be one of the best guides early on. 

A wee bit of red will make the skin look more life-like. That took me a long time to grasp. The triads are good to start, and some better than others. A thin glaze of red or magenta on the cheeks will help. 

Keep up the good work! I really like your color-sense. Three main colors are a really good way to structure a figure for sure. Happy painting!! ::D:

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, Cyr!

I agree there is too much brown. Her hair was originally black until I messed it up. Brown worked better in the end but I was unable to differentiate the colors enough got lazy.

I’ll have to check out the tutorial you mentioned Eyes are the bane of my existence - brushes don’t get that small! Plus, there are normally only two to practice on per miniature. I’ll give the skin tone a shot next time too.

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 3

Nice work!

Eyes are the worst!  I spent 2 hours the other night painting and painting over them again and again, I eventually stripped everything and started over and was able to get a result I was pleased with.  I was painting Eli Quicknight so his eyes are tiny and he has a hood and a dagger in the way so it was terrible (his eyes still aren't great by any means).  Like you said it's hard to get a lot of practice when there is only 2 on each model but I would suggest that you start with figures with more pronounced eyes that are easy to get to (unlike Eli).  Maybe some Chibi figures as their eyes seem larger or I have seen a lot of people recommend the Eye Beast as it has a lot of eyes in varying sizes.

• Like 2
On 12/4/2017 at 2:18 AM, Sophie was taken said:

Thanks for the feedback, Cyr!

I agree there is too much brown. Her hair was originally black until I messed it up. Brown worked better in the end but I was unable to differentiate the colors enough got lazy.

I’ll have to check out the tutorial you mentioned Eyes are the bane of my existence - brushes don’t get that small! Plus, there are normally only two to practice on per miniature. I’ll give the skin tone a shot next time too.

Eyes are definitely tough, though they get (a little) easier with practice.  A couple of other tutorials that I found helpful are these videos by Kuro Cleanbrush and Ghool.  I haven't gotten to the point of trying to color in the irises yet, but hopefully some day :lol: