wet palette

Saul

I paint longer than that when I can normally.  Also, I sometimes get interrupted and need to cover up and come back a few hours later.  These interruptions are un-planned and the wet palette lets me come back and continue right where I left off.  Again, I don't use paint in it for days.  But over the course of 6 or so hours at most normally.

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, rfusca said:

Ive used mine for days at a time before.  But its not overly dry where I'm at.

If left open, my paint will start to get tacky. I get a 4hr session or so with a big blob of paint, but it gets drier over time, not more moist. The air wins over the sponge here. The sponge just helps... a lot. 

As long as I close the lid, the most paint stays good for multiple days, even a week or so. It does depend on the paint, and how thinned it is. The NMM gold base does not like to be reused or revived. The blues I have revive perfectly well on the palette. Many aren't quite as smooth with revival, some are. Just have to experiment on a fingernail before putting to the figure. *shrug*

And this is in a very dry climate. I was having a hard time smiling or giving Sir Cyr a smooch two weeks ago because it got so darned dry. 

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hmmm, I just thought of something. What is the length of your typical paint session?  I very seldom paint for more than 1 to 2 hours at a time and clean the palette after each session. Does paint session time have a bearing on this?

Longer than that, typically something like 3 hours with a sigma of 1.5. ::D:

• Like 1

I use a Tupperware container that's pretty air tight and I can leave the paint in it for days.  Although it will start to separate, cheep paint does it fairly quickly and even MSP will start to, but that seems to mostly be if I mixed two colors together.  But all you have to do is mix it back up again on the palette and it's good to go.

• Like 2

i can't vouch for how long my DIY WP will hold paints or say what works best.  i can only say that my setup was $5, and that i can spend 10 mins mixing and thinning 20 different colors, and they will all stay perfectly consistent for up to 6 hours.  i can barely keep 3 colors usable at the same time on a dry palette without putting half the paint pot in there.  i should say that i still make glazes in a dry palette, but i don't know if i have to do that or not.  i suspect that i don't.

On 12/6/2017 at 4:19 PM, Harrek said:

I use parchment (baking) paper gotten at the grocery store (the Meijer's by you should have it PM).  Comes in a roll.  Make sure it's NOT waxed paper!  The Masterson stuff seems more like what you would use for the paints a canvas artist would use I think.  But it never worked well at all for me.

Thanks so much! This helped me improve my speed so much! The paint actually sits on top now, instead of sinking in. I also liked that I only had to wet the paper before hand, not soak it. I'm having trouble cutting it to the exact right size, but I otherwise love it! 

I "finished" two speed-paint minis last night, thanks to it. 

--Off topic comment: "finished" is due to me forgetting to thin steel wash

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'm having trouble cutting it to the exact right size, but I otherwise love it! 

I have a 12" paper cutter.  I tear off a good long strip of parchment paper, trim off 3" because the paper comes on a 15" roll, and then slice the paper down into 4"x4" squares.  It helps me and reduces waste (except for the 3" strip), and I like the square edges better..

Reynolds also makes a pre-cut, folded parchment paper that is available at Wal-Mart.

1 minute ago, Clearman said:

I have a 12" paper cutter.  I tear off a good long strip of parchment paper, trim off 3" because the paper comes on a 15" roll, and then slice the paper down into 4"x4" squares.  It helps me and reduces waste (except for the 3" strip), and I like the square edges better..

Reynolds also makes a pre-cut, folded parchment paper that is available at Wal-Mart.

Hm...I want my paper to be the same size as my pallet (OCD mandates it). I may need to get a new paper cutter and do something similar, though.

I can't imagine painting without a wet palette, now.  What I find works best for me is a Pyrex container that comes with a lid.  I cut 3 sheets of white felt that just fits in the bottom of the container.  I put a tiny drop of liquid soap like you'd hand wash dishes with, then add water until it completely soaks the felt.  I add the liquid soap to break up the water's surface tension.  This can help to prevent rings when the paint dries. 

I set a piece of either printer paper that's cut to size or cardstock.  With printer paper, it curls upward when you set it on the wet felt, so just flip it over after it curls, and it stays down nicely.  I have tried parchment paper, but I find that the water doesn't soak through quite as quickly as other papers. Is there a specific type of parchment paper that you have found works well?

Below is a picture of the wet palette that I use.  I highlighted the use of a wet palette on my blending how-to article on how-to-paint-miniatures.com site.  You can find the article at this URL:  http://how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_blending.html.  Maybe you'll find it useful.  Happy Painting!

palette-skin-purple-no-capt.jpg

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Hm...I want my paper to be the same size as my pallet (OCD mandates it). I may need to get a new paper cutter and do something similar, though.

The roll I have fits perfectly.  I simply pull out enough to handle the shorter width.  And then when I cut it in 1/2 each piece almost exactly fills the Masterson wet palette!

9 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

...AH. So pull out to the SHORTER width. Got it.

But its easy to pull out too much!  I use the palette as a guide and perhaps do like 1/4 to 1/2 inch less.  Oh, and I found it does stretch some when it gets wet.  So trying for a perfect width is really hard.  So do the 1/2 inch or so less!

Edited by Harrek